THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Can anything be done about the steering on the M240i?

06-14-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

Can anything be done about the steering on the M240i?

I have to admit that I adore most aspects of my car but the steering is driving me mad. The inch of wiggle deadzone ruins a lot of my enjoyment. It feels like a 1980s Chevrolet at highway speeds. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate that play in the steering? I'm even thinking about taking it in for service so get my complaints registered because it's such a pain. Mine is a 2019 M240i xdrive coupe.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
I have to admit that I adore most aspects of my car but the steering is driving me mad. The inch of wiggle deadzone ruins a lot of my enjoyment. It feels like a 1980s Chevrolet at highway speeds. Is there anything that can be done to eliminate that play in the steering? I'm even thinking about taking it in for service so get my complaints registered because it's such a pain. Mine is a 2019 M240i xdrive coupe.
I have a 19' M240i xDrive as well but my steering definitely does not have any play on center. In fact, this car feels lot more twitchy on center than my previous M235i. FWIW the car was ordered with the MPSS but I switched them out at delivery with the AS3+. I also run them a couple of PSI below what's listed on the label in the jamb.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

I'm running AS3+ as well at 2 psi below... I have at least an inch of play. Most of the reviews I saw on youtube mentioned the play as well. If yours doesn't have it then maybe there is something that can be adjusted.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Steering is the only negative on these cars (and all modern BMW's). Just have to live with it. I was pondering this myself just yesterday. Wondered who the asshat was at the corporate level that thought "I know, let's F'up the steering on our cars that are known for their handling and feel." Brilliant idea.

I try not to think about it!
BM235iW97.00
Mavus2014.50
Namakan21.00
      06-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Until I noticed you have XDrive, I was going to strongly recommend the M2/M3/M4 LCA swap with the kit from Turner Motorsports. Did an excellent job on just exactly what you are mentioning. I almost just think about being in the next lane, and the car heads in that direction. My SA at the dealer who did the install was concerened that this mod would make the steering too "darty", but far from it...it's outstanding. I am fairly certain they don't have this for XDrive, but nothing to lose by calling them.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #6
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
I'm running AS3+ as well at 2 psi below... I have at least an inch of play. Most of the reviews I saw on youtube mentioned the play as well. If yours doesn't have it then maybe there is something that can be adjusted.
Very interesting especially since ours cars are identical including tires. My car was built in February of this year and I've had a software update. I have no idea what was in the update- I even had my SA look it up online but there was little or no info on what it entailed.

Can you get to dealer and drive another one to compare to yours? I agree with most of the comments that the M240i has very little steering feel (even compared to my last M235i) but in my car it's at least accurate.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
I guess I am lucky I don't have prior BMW experience before my M235i, because I don't have anything to compare the steering on my car to a previous beloved BMW, so I don't know what I am missing. The steering on my car seems perfect. It's precise and the car goes without hesitation wherever I point it. My previous car was a MINI Cooper S (also with electric assist) and before that a Chrysler Sebring convertible, a Honda CRV and a variety of other family vans and trucksters. Clearly I am happy with what I have with no looking back. Now my 912 steering - that's another story - unassisted, light, direct and the car only weighs 2K lbs, so we can't compare it to any modern car.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      06-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

It's only the center deadzone that I care about. It's about an inch of play. At city speeds it doesn't really matter much but once you get moving on the highway you're pretty much rolling with jigglywheel anytime you need to go straight. I'm actually ok with the numb steering of a BMW. I just don't want that much play.

They mention it around the 2:30 mark here.

Last edited by DistantTea; 06-14-2019 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: added video review
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #9
MetalMK
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Drive a G wagon, then you will appreciate the steering for the 2er
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #10
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBuff View Post
Steering is the only negative on these cars (and all modern BMW's). Just have to live with it. I was pondering this myself just yesterday. Wondered who the asshat was at the corporate level that thought "I know, let's F'up the steering on our cars that are known for their handling and feel." Brilliant idea.

I try not to think about it!
Excellent post, so spot on. I feel the same.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #11
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I guess I am lucky I don't have prior BMW experience before my M235i, because I don't have anything to compare the steering on my car to a previous beloved BMW, so I don't know what I am missing. The steering on my car seems perfect. It's precise and the car goes without hesitation wherever I point it. My previous car was a MINI Cooper S (also with electric assist) and before that a Chrysler Sebring convertible, a Honda CRV and a variety of other family vans and trucksters. Clearly I am happy with what I have with no looking back. Now my 912 steering - that's another story - unassisted, light, direct and the car only weighs 2K lbs, so we can't compare it to any modern car.
This is exactly how I feel about my M240i. Had a 2016 WRX previously and 2007 Carrera S before that. Plenty of other DD type cars as well over the years. Steering on my 2-series is tight, direct, and precise. It has a relatively lightweight feel to it, but still very direct and responsive to steering inputs. My car has the Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires.

It should be mentioned that these cars have BMW's VSS or Variable Sport Steering, which is supposed to lessen the steering effect at higher speeds to increase stability. Still though, I have not noticed an excessive "dead zone" or any odd on-center behavior at higher speeds. Everything is satisfactory over here.
      06-14-2019, 11:59 PM   #12
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
This is exactly how I feel about my M240i. Had a 2016 WRX previously and 2007 Carrera S before that. Plenty of other DD type cars as well over the years. Steering on my 2-series is tight, direct, and precise. It has a relatively lightweight feel to it, but still very direct and responsive to steering inputs. My car has the Michelin Pilot Super Sport summer tires.

It should be mentioned that these cars have BMW's VSS or Variable Sport Steering, which is supposed to lessen the steering effect at higher speeds to increase stability. Still though, I have not noticed an excessive "dead zone" or any odd on-center behavior at higher speeds. Everything is satisfactory over here.

I too am coming from a 2016 WRX that I loved and this 240i is better at everything.
Appreciate 2
      06-15-2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

You guys do understand that this is a street car, so there is some play that is naturally built into the steering response. It's not a flaw, it's actually a feature. This "numbness" is to absorbed undulation in the road surfaces and the slight play allows the system to intelligently correct small steering errors, without the driver even noticing.

Electric steering does subjectively feel numb but the fact is it's progressively better than a hydraulic rack of the past.

Cars with EPS systems do not come with hydraulic pumps or pistons but instead simplified electric motor designed to augment the steering commands made by drivers.

This method reduces the amount of weight in the vehicle. Also, the EPS system doesn't use power from the engine as the hydraulic systems do. Overall, the electric power steering system is more efficient and safer, so I'm willing to live with the tactile compromises.
Appreciate 2
Resoelg226.00
      06-15-2019, 07:11 AM   #14
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Half the people say their car has zero play and no dead zone. The other half says they do. Both say it’s normal and I should live it? Can I get a “wut”?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
So is it the same in both Comfort and Sport ?

I have a M240xi and I feel zero play in the middle. In Sport mode it gets a bit "tighter" and more responsive.
Yeah it's the same in all drive modes. Very loose at zero. All the drive modes do is increase resistance after the wiggle zone but not IN the wiggle zone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Can I get a “wut”?
Have no idea what those are, where you get them, or how they would help. What are they?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      06-17-2019, 10:13 PM   #17
9t2hoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Cayman S

The surest way to improve steering feel is to drive a shitty rental car for a week. The steering on the 240 will feel like a race car after that.
Appreciate 2
BM235iW97.00
cooolone2610.50
      06-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #18
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

I also have M240 xdrive and I don't feel 'play' on center.
In fact, it is so sensitive to any slight movement to the point it's twitchy at highway speed. (as the result, the car needs constant correction to maintain straight line)

What this car lacks is the force that maintains steering on center. It's little too light on center.
I would appreciate some sort of 'click' that it maintains the steering on center.

I believe that on center loose feel is related to caster and toe.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 10:49 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
I also have M240 xdrive and I don't feel 'play' on center.
In fact, it is so sensitive to any slight movement to the point it's twitchy at highway speed. (as the result, the car needs constant correction to maintain straight line)

What this car lacks is the force that maintains steering on center. It's little too light on center.
I would appreciate some sort of 'click' that it maintains the steering on center.

I believe that on center loose feel is related to caster and toe.
Get it toed in slightly. It will increase tire wear a bit and reduce turn in but will improve on center steering, especially at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #20
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
The surest way to improve steering feel is to drive a shitty rental car for a week. The steering on the 240 will feel like a race car after that.
LOL. So true. Reminds me of when I rented a 2017 Impreza sedan for a work trip. Good God, was that steering awful. Just ping-ponged between the shoulder and center lines for hundreds of miles. It was so numb and lifeless that I had to consciously unwind the wheel around any curves on the interstate i.e. it would not go on-center by itself when I released my grip from the wheel. I was expecting so much more from it as the car I owned at the time was a 2016 WRX. The WRX had a MUCH better EPS rack and tracked very straight with good high-speed stability, similar to my M240i. The M240i steering response and accuracy is even better though. Just a bit lighter and more delicate in nature.
      06-18-2019, 02:45 AM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
You're not really missing anything. I've owned about 14 BMW's since 2001 - and I'm currently on my second ///M4 - and I don't really know what the nostalgia is all about. I've hopped back into E46's and didn't miss anything about it. When I first bought my '15 ///M4, I still had access to my exes '11 128i M-Sport we purchased while together. I jumped between the two cars and much preferred the steering of my ///M4. I tried to like the older car's steering and I tried to find what all of the rave was about, but I just didn't find it to be that great. Low speed turning in the drive-thru put the nail in the coffin. I'll take the new steering any day of the week.

FWIW, I have never experienced the play in the steering wheel while at dead center that other people have mentioned. My F30 335i ///M Sport and both of my F82 ///M4's have felt and performed flawlessly.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      06-18-2019, 10:53 AM   #22
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
Complete truth. I rent a ton of cars, trucks, and SUVs for work. Some can be pretty nice and they all have electric assist steering (it's the norm these days). NONE and I mean NONE come close to having the steering feel of my M235. The steering on the 2 series isn't perfect, but it's definitely in the good/excellent category as far as e-assist steering.

Those that really hate it, I do have to wonder what tires you're running. Summer tires in 70+ degree temps really make the steering feel pretty dang good. When I've got my 225/40R18 winter performance tires on, the steering gets softer and less direct. Tread pattern, design, compound, and width make a massive difference. If you're on run flats or all seasons, you're REALLY missing out. Add 245/35r18 up front and