THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos 14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

01-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #1
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

Decided it would be fun to make videos of my garage projects. Let me know what you think. Any and all feedback appreciated!

Baseline Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):

VF Hex Tune Stage 1, Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):

High RPM issue

High RPM issue fix attempt

More coming soon. (downpipe, charge pipe, GFB diverter, stage 2 hex tune, then re-dyno and re-test acceleration again with Dragy, then one last time after installing upgraded intercooler)

Also, I upload other videos. I just linked these since they're relevant to this forum. I have runway drag race videos (where I lose to almost everyone I race lol), as well as other random garage related stuff.

Last edited by serrated; 01-18-2019 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 8
      01-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #3
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Much appreciated!!

I just assumed BM3 was more involved and I didn't want to get in too deep. (but from what I've read, they actually do have "off the shelf" maps for people that just want to have a turn-key solution so I probably should've gone with BM3 in hindsight)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #5
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing
No problem! It's nice to finally have something I enjoy to make videos about
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-16-2019 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 02:50 AM   #7
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
      01-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
Much appreciated!

I'm going to attempt to do the installs myself as they don't seem too bad. (at worst, just frustrating but none of the installs seem impossible and having a lift will probably help)

Plus, the dealership just called and said the R8 has a leak in one of the radiators and if it's not a factory defect and was caused by a rock or something I'll have to pay out of pocket $1800. Ouch. Hopefully they warranty it or I'll definitely be glad I'm saving my labor money on the downpipe to pay for the new radiator lol.

I just uploaded two more videos this hour. Editing this crap takes so long. I need to talk my wife into doing it for me lol

EDIT: oops, forgot to answer your charge pipe question. I believe I got the VRSF one if I remember correctly. I liked that it came with new clips and something else that I can remember off the top of my head that others didn't seem to include
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Stage 2 complete!

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #11
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Killer!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:01 AM   #12
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Cool video's man.

Wanted to let folks know on the spark plugs, that with the right length extension and wobble head you're not required to take off any plastic. I got the plugs swapped in less than 40 minutes.

Looking forward to your next video, cheers.

D
      03-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
NateDog07V
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto

Based on ur progress thus far, Do u think stage 2 is worth it? From some posts it seems folks are having trouble putting the power down from stage 1 let alone stage 2.. so I'm just curious if u feel it's worth adding the supporting mods to go Stg 2. I ask bc I'm tempted to just do a mid pipe on top of the MPE and then add a Stg 1 tune, as opposed to DP and then Stg 2. I'm not a huge fan of the pops n burbles which MPE and a DP seem to exemplify, but love a fast coupe if the power is usable
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #14
beamersauce
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Wow excellent thread, man! There's so much great information here that I'm surprised this hasn't become an even more popular thread. Really appreciate the time you took to share your findings.

I love the real world perspective behind the Stage 1 vs Stage 2 results. It'd be great to see how much of a difference the summer tires will help to control the Stage 2 wheel spin. Keep up the great work - looking forward to how it all progresses!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 01:42 AM   #15
M235iHUSTLE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Awesome vids! Can't wait for the next episode!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

Nice work dude! Confused why stage 2 was barely an upgrade to the 1/4 time?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:32 PM   #17
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-m View Post
Nice work dude! Confused why stage 2 was barely an upgrade to the 1/4 time?
The HP gain from 1 to 2 wasn't as big as stock to stage 1. The torque gain was solid but testing in winter meant harder to launch with more power and torque
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #18
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Based on ur progress thus far, Do u think stage 2 is worth it? From some posts it seems folks are having trouble putting the power down from stage 1 let alone stage 2.. so I'm just curious if u feel it's worth adding the supporting mods to go Stg 2. I ask bc I'm tempted to just do a mid pipe on top of the MPE and then add a Stg 1 tune, as opposed to DP and then Stg 2. I'm not a huge fan of the pops n burbles which MPE and a DP seem to exemplify, but love a fast coupe if the power is usable
I think stage 1 is the sweet spot myself, but we'll see if warmer weather gets the times faster with stage 2 when I might actually be able to hook
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #19
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Cool video's man.

Wanted to let folks know on the spark plugs, that with the right length extension and wobble head you're not required to take off any plastic. I got the plugs swapped in less than 40 minutes.

Looking forward to your next video, cheers.

D
for me, i was not able to remove the foam without loosening the strut bar and remove the plastic.. did you just tear your foam?

the foam has pockets which there are plastic posts that fit into them that keep them in place, so did you just tear it out?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #20
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
for me, i was not able to remove the foam without loosening the strut bar and remove the plastic.. did you just tear your foam?

the foam has pockets which there are plastic posts that fit into them that keep them in place, so did you just tear it out?
i got it out a few times but it did eventually rip in half
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #21
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Did you ever sort out your issues with the high rpm "stuttering"? Looking forward to a followup Episode 7 video!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

not yet unfortunately. it doesn't seem to do it when it's warmer out so I'm suspecting that it might be running out of fuelling. (70+ F)

i only did the front 4 coils since the back 2 require removing crap to get to them. there's a tiny chance that it's one of those but i'm thinking probably not. we'll find out though!

worst case scenario i take it to a shop and have them take a peek
Appreciate 0