THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB BMW Valet service fail

06-13-2016, 08:15 AM   #1
esoulliard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT

BMW Valet service fail

This morning my car was scheduled to be picked up for its first oil change. I used the valet service through my dealer. The guy who came to pick up the car stalled it twice and then spun the tires. He managed to get it back into my driveway, by which time I was standing outside. I asked him if everything was OK and then he admitted that he couldn't drive stick. So, he left and now someone else is coming to get the car. Call me crazy, but I would think that knowing how to drive should be a job requirement for a professional driver. I guess this is the last time that I use the valet service.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I think it's more common than we think.

True story. I went on a test drive once with a friend for a civic Si a number of years back. The salesman insisted on driving the car for half the test drive (which defeats the purpose) and then would turn it over to my friend, because he was new to manuals. We leave the parking lot like we were riding a bucking bronco because the salesman had no idea how to modulate the clutch. Once on the street he immediately redlines it (cold motor) and keeps trying to jam the shifter in second gear bouncing off the rev limiter. I ask if he knows how to drive a manual which he claimed he did.

We keep going, still bouncing off the rev limiter and noticed the car won't let him shift because he won't let off the gas and doesn't appear to be using the clutch. There were protest sounds that I've never heard a car make. After about 2 minutes of bouncing of the rev limiter, I tell him to get out, I'm driving. Of course when I drive the car is fine and we go back to the dealership. Obviously this isn't the car we're buying anymore. He insisted it wasn't him but something was wrong with the car. The fact that the motor or transmission didn't explode is really a testament to honda's build quality.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 01:15 PM   #3
esoulliard
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M235i 6MT

Wow, that's crazy! I'm speechless. It sounds like both of these situations could have been avoided with people just admitting they don't know how to drive a manual, rather than abusing the cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:31 AM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Reminds of the time when I accidentally valeted my car at a restaurant. I just wanted to drop my wife off so she didn't have to walk and got trapped in the drop off line. I made sure that they knew how to drive stick. luckily it's a requirement for them. I'll never valet again though. i don't like other ppl driving my car.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 2
jpnh1423.50
      06-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

So funny that only higher end cars are manual in US. In Latin America it's pretty normal. Even my 73 year old mom knows how to drive stick. And she doesnt stall.

So much technology makes drivers brain-lazy. Now it will be a requirement in 2018 that all cars in US have backup camera. But I see this as a good one. Ive seen numerous times ppl had no idea how to parallel park. Oh my goodness lol
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

I've thought about this before. Not many people these days can drive a manual, or do it well.

So when taking the car in for service and it needs to be moved around, what are the chances that the guy working at the dealer knows how to handle a stick or is he just grinding gears all day long on your ride
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 11:26 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

One of the main reasons that manual transmission used cars are suspect for high wear or early breakage. If somebody skilled is driving, they are more durable than an auto, but a few 'bad grinds' or money shifts, and they start puking expensive bits into the pan.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
rwjr44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Here is a neat article: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/...g-rarer-in-us/
      12-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States