THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB OIL COOLER - Comfort vs Sport Mode

10-24-2016, 06:20 PM   #1
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

OIL COOLER - Comfort vs Sport Mode

So I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and have the ability to run a dashboard of simple gauges on my phone. Actually, I purchased a Verizon predaid phone for $30 but just never activated the Samsung phone. I just use it as a monitor. similar to Torque app.
Anyway, what I have found is that the Sport & Sport + modes activate the oil cooler vs in Comfort mode it does not. Oil Temp today with the outside temp going to work in comfort mode was 50degf. AT 50deg and going 80mph on the interstate I saw oil temps running 210-230deg. On the way home with outside temps of 80deg , I was running high 220 range and switched from Comfort to Sport. Oil temp starts to drop about 30seconds after the switch and drop to around 175-185 deg range.
I switched back and forth and it is really amazing how much of a drop there is in Sport mode. Comfort as high as 234 deg vs Sport in the low 170 deg range. Surprising that the oil cooler is not simply activated by oil temps but by mode. Just as interesting is that in Comfort mode and over 230deg that the oil cooler never kicked in but I am betting over 235deg the oil cooler by-pass is activated. I wonder if the oil pressure drops when going thru the oil cooler -- my program does not show oil pressure -- darn.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      10-25-2016, 11:57 AM   #2
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

I have monitored coolant and oil temps with my P3Cars gauge ,but never by mode. I'll have to check that out.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I noticed this as well. I thought it makes good sense as to why it happens though.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Sport Mode on Hot Shut-down

So you are coming to your destination -- Hot Day and drive. It probable makes sense to put the car in Sport Mode (if not already) for the last 5min of the drive to help cool things off before shut down.
On the interstate I drive in Comfort while in town I drive in Sport / Sport +
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #5
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I have monitored coolant and oil temps with my P3Cars gauge ,but never by mode. I'll have to check that out.
Any issues/complaints about the guage?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #6
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Any issues/complaints about the guage?
The gauge works great. It's amazing how long it takes the coolant to reach actual operating temp and how it changes as I drive. As opposed to the usual damped gauges that go to the center quickly,at a much lower temp, and never move.Having it installed, makes me drive more conservatively longer. Being able to see the oil temp is even more valuable.
The major downside is only seeing one reading at a time and, more importantly,not being able to scroll backward. To get back to the previous reading you have to scroll through all the readings back to the beginning.
If you don't buy the gauge already installed in a new vent,it's a little tricky removing the two top slats in the old vent and replacing them with the gauge and then reinstalling the two bottom ones.But the rest of the installation is straightforward.
But overall, I would buy it again, unless I decided to pop for the very nice and very expensive Awron gauge.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Although I have not watched oil temps by driving mode, I routinely drive around in Sport/Sport+/DSC Off and my oils temps are routinely in the 220-230 degree range in normal around the town driving and have seen as high as 240 degrees just after moderately hard driving. In hard driving, the temps have never exceeded 245 degrees. Once my oil temps are above 210 degrees, the temps seem to hold there in city driving. In highway driving, it's typically 195-205 degrees.

My car is a 6MT. Stock.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
So I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and have the ability to run a dashboard of simple gauges on my phone. Actually, I purchased a Verizon predaid phone for $30 but just never activated the Samsung phone. I just use it as a monitor. similar to Torque app.
Anyway, what I have found is that the Sport & Sport + modes activate the oil cooler vs in Comfort mode it does not. Oil Temp today with the outside temp going to work in comfort mode was 50degf. AT 50deg and going 80mph on the interstate I saw oil temps running 210-230deg. On the way home with outside temps of 80deg , I was running high 220 range and switched from Comfort to Sport. Oil temp starts to drop about 30seconds after the switch and drop to around 175-185 deg range.
I switched back and forth and it is really amazing how much of a drop there is in Sport mode. Comfort as high as 234 deg vs Sport in the low 170 deg range. Surprising that the oil cooler is not simply activated by oil temps but by mode. Just as interesting is that in Comfort mode and over 230deg that the oil cooler never kicked in but I am betting over 235deg the oil cooler by-pass is activated. I wonder if the oil pressure drops when going thru the oil cooler -- my program does not show oil pressure -- darn.

The air / oil cooler is not activated, the dme is just rating the speed of the water pump For the aux radiator.

There are 2 aux radiators, one is coolant, which uses a heat exchanger to cool oil, the other is just an air cooled radiator full of oil, this one has the mechanical thermostat.

When the thermostat opens for the other one there is no change in oil pressure as the cooler is filled with oil. The thermostat is mechanical, not electrical.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Your dual aux radiators, by model, are:
228i = both are water
M235i = passenger side is water, driver's side is oil

I have NO IDEA if this has changed for the B-series engines. Let's assume that they are the same.

During the time I was researching this issue way back in 2015 on behalf of my car and everyone else's, a buddy dug up information buried deep in the tech manual for the N20 on target operating temps. What we found was very interesting:

In the four driving modes that our cars have, the target operating temperature goes down an average of 5-7 degrees F for every mode change from Eco Pro to Sport +.

No, 'down' is not a typo. Basically, our engines are designed to run cooler as the engine mode selected becomes more sport-oriented. This is likely to offset greater loads on the engine and is likely the main reason cars with THP (an option on the 228i, and standard on the M235i) in the U.S. get the second aux radiator -- and why any convertible, no matter which model and market, has only one aux radiator.

I've observed the operating temp differences with the P3Cars gauge I have in my 228i. The difference is less pronounced in oil temps vs. water temps, but it's there. I can only assume that the N55/Bxx engine in the M235/M240 needs extra oil cooling to achieve those BMW operating temp targets.
Appreciate 3
123Britt287.00
amw896582.50