THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Installing TechnicPnP Active Sound removal harness

08-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #67
Diamantis
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Also orangeglim and Diamantis : which audio package (Hi-Fi or HK) do each of you have? This issue could very well have to do with a switch that BMW made, probably some time during the 2016 model year, from 2 ohm subs wired in parallel to 4 ohm subs wired in series on specific cars. (Background: through at least early 2015, the underseat subs were 2 ohms wired in parallel for Hi-Fi cars, and 8 ohms wired in series for HK cars.)

With how Technic wires these, I can very easily see ohm rating and wiring technique affecting the harness' operation -- particularly on parallel-wired setups that operate off a single output channel. I would email him and make him aware of the issue.
I have the HiFi system. m235i /2016. Drivers sub is not working, not the oem nor the bavsound.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:32 AM   #68
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I recently found a fix to the loss of bass that is inherent to the bypass harness and sent my findings off to Technic for verification, below is the response I have received from Technic.

(Your findings made me contact BMWAG to confirm the ASD OEM schematic and they confirmed your conclusion: the OEM schematic is incorrect for the HiFi (676) and the Top HiFi (674) systems.

Pins #3 and #4 (white and white/black wires in the ASD bypass harness) are incorrectly labeled in the schematics. Correct polarities are Pin # 3 negative and Pin #4 positive. The schematic showed them backwards.)

So Technic was unaware that the bypass harness was wired from a faulty BMW schematic which in turn created an out of phase front speaker, luckily the fix is simple and should be very easy for harness owners to perform themselves.

Fix:
Cut (white and white/black) wires at the midpoint of the wires loop and then re-connect the two wires so that you get a (white to white/black pair of wires) (cross the streams!) You should now have a (Front left) speaker with the proper polarity, in phase, and more importantly restoring the bass.

Technic wanted me to mention that the bypass harness is now corrected and that if any current owner is uncomfortable with performing the above fix they can have their harness rectified by contacting him directly.
Appreciate 6
      08-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #69
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6spd View Post
I recently found a fix to the loss of bass that is inherent to the bypass harness and sent my findings off to Technic for verification, below is the response I have received from Technic.

(Your findings made me contact BMWAG to confirm the ASD OEM schematic and they confirmed your conclusion: the OEM schematic is incorrect for the HiFi (676) and the Top HiFi (674) systems.

Pins #3 and #4 (white and white/black wires in the ASD bypass harness) are incorrectly labeled in the schematics. Correct polarities are Pin # 3 negative and Pin #4 positive. The schematic showed them backwards.)

So Technic was unaware that the bypass harness was wired from a faulty BMW schematic which in turn created an out of phase front speaker, luckily the fix is simple and should be very easy for harness owners to perform themselves.

Fix:
Cut (white and white/black) wires at the midpoint of the wires loop and then re-connect the two wires so that you get a (white to white/black pair of wires) (cross the streams!) You should now have a (Front left) speaker with the proper polarity, in phase, and more importantly restoring the bass.

Technic wanted me to mention that the bypass harness is now corrected and that if any current owner is uncomfortable with performing the above fix they can have their harness rectified by contacting him directly.
Thanks so much for this helpful note.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #70
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Silver6spd have you actually done the fix? Impressions on sound quality?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #71
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Fix:
I wonder whether someone who has actually done this could snap a few pictures as you're doing the fix and post the results. That'd be a great help.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #72
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes I have done the fix, returns bass back to factory levels. I would snap a pic but in working out the fix I ended up cutting every wire and then slowly reconnected them back together to get to the fix. The pic I would take looks confusing, so if someone could please take a nice clean pic after their attempt, I would be great full
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #73
GoSlow2GoFast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3

I don't have the cable yet, so can't help with the DIY. But if you have the fix working it might be useful to document the pin mappings for others. They could use that as part of the DIY process I suspect. I wonder if rather than wire splicing, pins could be swapped in the connector itself?
      08-31-2016, 12:41 PM   #74
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am not sure if the harness has pin mappings on it? I tried to swap pins but was out of my skill set, so I low tecked it. There are only two white wires so I figured just a quick splice would do.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #75
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure if the harness has pin mappings on it? I tried to swap pins but was out of my skill set, so I low tecked it. There are only two white wires so I figured just a quick splice would do.
Right, Silver6spd. So, just to be clear before we get pictures, is this right?

1. In the looping wires you'll find a white and a white/black wire.
2. You cut these two wires roughly in the center.
3. You connect the wires crosswise so that each wire consists of a white-connected-to-a-white/black wire.
4. You then put a wire connector cap or electrical tape on each and you're all done.

If so, this is an exceedingly simple fix. I'd check this out but my car is in the shop.

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #76
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
Right, Silver6spd. So, just to be clear before we get pictures, is this right?

1. In the looping wires you'll find a white and a white/black wire.
2. You cut these two wires roughly in the center.
3. You connect the wires crosswise so that each wire consists of a white-connected-to-a-white/black wire.
4. You then put a wire connector cap or electrical tape on each and you're all done.

If so, this is an exceedingly simple fix. I'd check this out but my car is in the shop.

Thx.
Just had a confirmation that these instructions are correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 12:53 PM   #77
Swimfanrick
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver6spd

Fix:

Thanks! I have the harness and am awaiting delivery of my car in 3 weeks. Will definitely do this!!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 02:47 PM   #78
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Doesn't coding also require a Windows laptop? Who has one of those?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #79
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Fix:

Wow, nice find! Just cut/spliced the wires here on the harness I had sitting on the shelf in the garage. Re-installed it and the fakey fake engine sound is gone but the bass response is correct from the drivers' side woofer. Fantastic! Nice work, I owe you a beer.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #80
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
Wow, nice find! Just cut/spliced the wires here on the harness I had sitting on the shelf in the garage. Re-installed it and the fakey fake engine sound is gone but the bass response is correct from the drivers' side woofer. Fantastic! Nice work, I owe you a beer.
This is really great news. Another beer here. Thanks, Silver6spd.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 10:07 PM   #81
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Wow! Good to Know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selmeralto View Post
This is really great news. Another beer here. Thanks, Silver6spd.
I'll post pics when I get my car back. Wife likes to drive the Bmw more than me! Uggh!
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 1
      08-31-2016, 10:34 PM   #82
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Does the harness issue apply to hk setups too? Curious as I do have bass from the drivers side with the harness installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 11:29 PM   #83
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz
Does the harness issue apply to hk setups too? Curious as I do have bass from the drivers side with the harness installed.
According to the info provided by Silver6spd it applies to both HiFi and HK systems. The HK is option code 674 aka "Top HiFi".
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #84
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Here is the picture!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
I'll post pics when I get my car back. Wife likes to drive the Bmw more than me! Uggh!
Here is the picture of the 2 wires that need to be clipped and wired cross wise. I used wire nuts to see if it works. Definitely more bass. Here's another shot of Makers Mark for you Silver6spd
Attached Images

Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.

Last edited by fancyfl1ght; 09-01-2016 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 2
      09-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #85
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

That's awesome. I just installed my harness last week and felt that the bass loss was worth not dealing with the fake engine noises. Now, it's good to know how to get the bass back.

This will make for a fun little weekend project with my son.

DBinOC
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 07:06 PM   #86
Silver6spd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thank you fancyfl1ght

Exactly what was needed.

A good amount of credit goes to technic as well. The entire process with him was handled very professionally considering that I was suggesting that his product had a small fault. He took the time to take the issue to BMW and in the end not only did we fix the harness but apparently corrected some BMW schematics as well.
Appreciate 1
      09-01-2016, 07:15 PM   #87
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Agree. Technic is an upright dude.

Quote:
Thank you fancyfl1ght

Exactly what was needed.

A good amount of credit goes to technic as well. The entire process with him was handled very professionally considering that I was suggesting that his product had a small fault. He took the time to take the issue to BMW and in the end not only did we fix the harness but apparently corrected some BMW schematics as well.
We are doing these mods in real time for a fairly new BMW body style as well so, these things are bound to happen.

The adage, the last year of the BMW is the best year to buy is still true, since by then they will have worked out the bugs.

No wonder I was only marginally impressed with my JL Audio amp upgrade.

Now, with this mod, holy moly. I see the JL Audio amp upgrade in a whole different light!

Cheers to Technic and Silver6spd
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #88
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Just did the fix. Definitely an improvement. Frankly i think it fixed the phasing of the front speakers in general as well. The soundstage is much improved.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1