THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning m235i equipped with M Performance Exhaust - Standard!?

03-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #23
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
I knew it.....235is
this^

M235i = 2" longer version of the 135is.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #24
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.barnes View Post
It doesn't have the m performance exhaust as standard, it may have an exhaust tuned by m performance, but the m performance exhaust is a different part number, sound and tail pipe for sure
Correct. It's the same idea behind the exhaust on the 335is and 135is. They're technically M Performance exhausts, but they're not the same as the M Performance accessory you can buy from the parts department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril_F22 View Post
my point is, the M performance accessory exhaust is a WASTE of your money. If you are really interested in performance install a 3" catless downpipe.
It really isn't. As has been mentioned, it retains the factory warranty, guaranteed not to throw any CELs, is known to give you a great sound without being concerned about droning, is built well, and does make a butt-dyno difference. 3" catless downpipe is illegal in most states, requires tuning to get rid of a CEL and to convince the engine to run properly, and won't pass emissions. To some people, riding your full warranty out and passing inspection every year is worth more than some HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
I just can't stand the cracking as it comes down. I mean I'm no expert, but I've never heard a highly respected exhaust with that sound. To me, something sounds broken, but again, prolly just me being a newb.
That crackling noise you're referring to isn't created by the M Performance (or other) muffler. The engine is, to an extent, tuned to make that noise, it's just that the stock mufflers are designed to cancel or greatly muffle those noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
So you think they don't sell the demo cars?
A lot of dealers will slate certain cars for their demo fleet and not allow the client advisors to sell those cars unless there is a replacement ready for it. We have had our 435i xDrive demo since we first got 4 Series in inventory since they're backordered, but are keeping it because we want people to be able to drive that and compare it to the 428i and 3 Series. I think he just meant that it was an in-stock car that the dealership wanted to be available for sale as new, not as a demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3rkn View Post
this^

M235i = 2" longer version of the 135is.
That's the idea! I did hear somewhere that BMW wants to do away with the "is" nomenclature and switch to the Mxxxi (M235i, M550d, etc.) format instead. If you look at it, the M235i pretty much has all the same upgrades over a 228i with the N55 in it as the 335is did over a standard 335i.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

well most dealers around Seattle sold their m235 demos 3 or 4 days after arrival...
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #26
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
well most dealers around Seattle sold their m235 demos 3 or 4 days after arrival...
As did we. We sold our first (and thus far only) M235i after it had been in stock for two days. It came off the truck, was prepped and thrown in the showroom with the intent to put it out on the lot two days later (when snow etc. cleared off the roads), and it sold. IMO it was a very bad choice to do so, as there have been many people asking to drive one (no, the 228i isn't close enough...). I know they're limited production and demand is high, but same goes for the 435i and we've had our 435i demo since it rolled off the truck as the first 4 Series we received.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #27
cmkde
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 15' M4

Is the M Performance exhaust a full cat-back or just muffler replacement? Meaning will I see the same performance gains from it as I would from a 3rd party aftermarket exhaust with a tune etc.

I am not referring to catless DP or anything of the sort but just your standard cat-back replacements. Is it on par with these? Or is it an overpriced muffler replacement for sound? Genuinely asking because I haven't seen any pics of it other than the BMW videos or just from the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #28
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkde View Post
Is the M Performance exhaust a full cat-back or just muffler replacement? Meaning will I see the same performance gains from it as I would from a 3rd party aftermarket exhaust with a tune etc.

I am not referring to catless DP or anything of the sort but just your standard cat-back replacements. Is it on par with these? Or is it an overpriced muffler replacement for sound? Genuinely asking because I haven't seen any pics of it other than the BMW videos or just from the rear.
The M performance exhaust is an axle-back, so in theory you won't get as much of a gain as might be possible with an aftermarket cat-back exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:34 AM   #29
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Does anyone know the accessory code/part number for the M235i M-Performance exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:47 AM   #30
PABrian
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't believe it's been officially released yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #31
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OttosBMWBrian View Post
I don't believe it's been officially released yet.
Officially, no. But I saw a claim somewhere that someone had gotten it added already and there was a post in one of the LSD threads showing what looked like a BMW datasheet with P/N's for all M235i M-performance accessories. I believe it was Estoril_F22 who posted it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:24 PM   #32
Cybertronic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alz0rz View Post
Does anyone know the accessory code/part number for the M235i M-Performance exhaust?
Its 0Z10 or PN 18302293768
Appreciate 0