THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Turbo Upgrade (Need help!!!)

11-20-2020, 03:09 PM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Turbo Upgrade (Need help!!!)

Okay, so I finally said "screw it", took all of my money out of my Nvidia stocks and am ready for a turbo upgrade. Now I know it sounds unusual, but I want something a bit better than a PS2. I read some post by Vargas and they claimed that Stage 2 can only handle a consistent 500whp if you want them to last. And with this i have a couple questions:

1.) I'm running PI meth, FBO w/ downpipe, and JB4. What can I expect if I were to get a PS2 rather than a Stage 3? I say this because Big Boost claims they can get an N55 on 800hp, which I doubt.

2.) At what point will I need a new HPFP and along with this, will I need a new LPFP?

3.) Are there any reliable, good quality Stage 3 turbos for sale?

4.) How much HP can an N55 realistically run before bent rods or destroyed pistons? (And how much can the manual tranny take?)
      11-20-2020, 04:54 PM   #2
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysosa View Post
Okay, so I finally said "screw it", took all of my money out of my Nvidia stocks and am ready for a turbo upgrade. Now I know it sounds unusual, but I want something a bit better than a PS2. I read some post by Vargas and they claimed that Stage 2 can only handle a consistent 500whp if you want them to last. And with this i have a couple questions:

1.) I'm running PI meth, FBO w/ downpipe, and JB4. What can I expect if I were to get a PS2 rather than a Stage 3? I say this because Big Boost claims they can get an N55 on 800hp, which I doubt.

2.) At what point will I need a new HPFP and along with this, will I need a new LPFP?

4.) How much HP can an N55 realistically run before bent rods or destroyed pistons? (And how much can the manual tranny take?)
You'll need a new hpfp and lpfp if you want a bigger turbo than ps2. Eos manifold should be considered too
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
MrMoe99
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14' BMW M235i

If you have PI you don't need a hpfp but you will definitely need an upgraded Lpfp.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

You're gunna want a hpfp whichever route you take, and the clutch will need some help too.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 07:56 AM   #5
TYC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i TE

Quote:

Hpfp is limited to
-around 425whp on 93 pct pump
- E30 ethanol mixtures at max
- You will have to change it the hpfp to take full advantage advantage of any stage 2 hybrid turbo, or if going to a big turbo stage three kit.

Lpfp should be changed if
- over 500whp
- running PI.
- ethanol mixtures over 30%
- PTF recommends using spool lpfp upgrades.

Lots of engines running 600whp or more without doing rods.
The spun crank hub is a bigger concern

Big boost, and speedtech make some great stg3 kits that bolt right in.

Don’t forget to improve your oil cooling if adding a lot more power.

Hope this helps.

Cscs time attack - street rwd
Who says a race car can’t also be a show car?!?!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
Quote:

Hpfp is limited to
-around 425whp on 93 pct pump
- E30 ethanol mixtures at max
- You will have to change it the hpfp to take full advantage advantage of any stage 2 hybrid turbo, or if going to a big turbo stage three kit.

Lpfp should be changed if
- over 500whp
- running PI.
- ethanol mixtures over 30%
- PTF recommends using spool lpfp upgrades.

Lots of engines running 600whp or more without doing rods.
The spun crank hub is a bigger concern

Big boost, and speedtech make some great stg3 kits that bolt right in.

Don’t forget to improve your oil cooling if adding a lot more power.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate your help! It helped a lot!