THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning The perfect mix of tunes/settings!

11-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Perfect for me at least. My car is a daily. I want it to get up and go when I step on it, to be quick in traffic, but not to be too jerky or rowdy. I've messed around with different tunes, settings, etc. This is what I finally settled on that works perfectly for me:

BM3 Stage 2 + XHP Stage 3 + comfort mode + shifter pulled to the left (S).

Also VRSF DP & IC, Burger intake, Dinan res delete, and Remus Race Exhaust

I used to never drive in anything but sport mode. My mileage sucked though. Like 13 miles per gallon. It was also just a little too jumpy at times. Shifting was not smooth. The big discovery was the stage three transmission tune. That in comfort mode with the shifter pulled to the left is the perfect balance of drivability when just tooling around, but also ready to attack when you step on it. And quick, smooth shifts at all times. The feel of the transmission with this combo is very much like my old 135i DCT, which I loved.

Also, the burbles are not so obnoxious. I like a little rumble, but the pops and bangs are not my thing. I could never get that fine-tuned in sport mode. Now in comfort, it's perfect.

People like their cars different ways I realize. But this new combination has been a revelation for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 04:08 PM   #2
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Does XHP only tune the shift points with the shifter is in S?

Comfort mode can't be tuned?

Nice review, I'm in the same boat as you but may go MHD instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:14 PM   #3
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Does XHP only tune the shift points with the shifter is in S?

Comfort mode can't be tuned?

Nice review, I'm in the same boat as you but may go MHD instead.
Definitely not an expert, but my impression is that the tune changes the behavior no matter what setting you're in. It's just that this particular combination of tune and settings ticks all the boxes for me. Shifts quickly and smoothly just like my trusty old DCT.

Again, no expert, but it seems to change shift points as well as just the nature of those shifts. The overall word is smooth and feels right.

I had BM3 first and then switch to MHD for a couple of months. I honestly didn't love it. Not enough juice. Bummer that apparently you can't transfer these licenses, so it's money flushed for me. The tune by phone was nice, but now BM3 does the same thing.
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1104.00
      11-19-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchicken View Post
Definitely not an expert, but my impression is that the tune changes the behavior no matter what setting you're in. It's just that this particular combination of tune and settings ticks all the boxes for me. Shifts quickly and smoothly just like my trusty old DCT.

Again, no expert, but it seems to change shift points as well as just the nature of those shifts. The overall word is smooth and feels right.

I had BM3 first and then switch to MHD for a couple of months. I honestly didn't love it. Not enough juice. Bummer that apparently you can't transfer these licenses, so it's money flushed for me. The tune by phone was nice, but now BM3 does the same thing.
Gotcha, thanks.

I wasn't aware the license can't be sold, interesting.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyFSU View Post
Quote:

Gotcha, thanks.

I wasn't aware the license can't be sold, interesting.
I believe that you can sell/transfer Bootmod3. Not MHD as far as I know. If you find out that MHD can be transferred, let me know and I will make you a deal on my license and the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device.
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1104.00
      11-20-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You can sell the bootmod3 once, this is very helpful for the same owner transferring the license to a new car they bought without having to pay for a new license.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
KennyFSU1104.00
      11-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #7
Drsoto
Rep
Drives: M135i 2015

Quote:
Perfect for me at least. My car is a daily. I want it to get up and go when I step on it, to be quick in traffic, but not to be too jerky or rowdy. I've messed around with different tunes, settings, etc. This is what I finally settled on that works perfectly for me:

I used to never drive in anything but sport mode. My mileage sucked though. Like 13 miles per gallon. It was also just a little too jumpy at times. Shifting was not smooth. The big discovery was the stage three transmission tune. That in comfort mode with the shifter pulled to the left is the perfect balance of drivability when just tooling around, but also ready to attack when you step on it. And quick, smooth shifts at all times. The feel of the transmission with this combo is very much like my old 135i DCT, which I loved.

Also, the burbles are not so obnoxious. I like a little rumble, but the pops and bangs are not my thing. I could never get that fine-tuned in sport mode. Now in comfort, it's perfect.

People like their cars different ways I realize. But this new combination has been a revelation for me.
What VRSF IC you have 5'' or 6,5"HD
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #8
PN3UMA
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
I believe that you can sell/transfer Bootmod3. Not MHD as far as I know. If you find out that MHD can be transferred, let me know and I will make you a deal on my license and the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth device.
You can transfer MHD, but the only way to do it is to give them the email and password to the account you signed up for. They don't make it easy for sure.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #9
hotchicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsoto View Post
Quote:

What VRSF IC you have 5'' or 6,5"HD
5"
Appreciate 0