THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack M240i Alloy Wheels

10-28-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
Fivos92
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

M240i Alloy Wheels

Guys I'm thinking to switch from my 436M 18" alloys to JR SL01 and I'm wondering which is the optimum size for the front and which for the rear wheels if i stay on the 18" and which if i decide to upgrade to the 19" (offset, width etc.)?
I need the wheels to be wider than the ones on the car, without using spacers if possible.
Shall i expect any issues if I upgrade to 19"? The guys at JR mentioned that the geometry of the whole car will become a mess and is better to stay on the 18's.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivos92 View Post
Guys I'm thinking to switch from my 436M 18" alloys to JR SL01 and I'm wondering which is the optimum size for the front and which for the rear wheels if i stay on the 18" and which if i decide to upgrade to the 19" (offset, width etc.)?
I need the wheels to be wider than the ones on the car, without using spacers if possible.
Shall i expect any issues if I upgrade to 19"? The guys at JR mentioned that the geometry of the whole car will become a mess and is better to stay on the 18's.
A lot of good info in the wheels forum. Check that out and ask follow ups in there for more feedback.
      10-29-2020, 03:13 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivos92 View Post
2 series fitment can be a bit complex with higher offset requirements than many other BMW chassis. We have a guide listed with our recommended fitments and notes about modifications if they are needed. These widths and offset notes can be helpful when looking at other wheels as well although certain factors like spoke design and brake clearances can be unique to the particular wheel design.

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide

-Tom
      11-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

One thing you can bank on if you go to 19's will be increased unsprung weight and reduced puncture/blowout resistance, with no meaningful improvement in grip or handling. Some really love the look of them, but it is a fairly costly move if you care about performance. Even at legal city speeds you will notice a change of a few pounds in unsprung weight (at least I did). Improving the relationship of wheel width to tire width will help firm up response (stock setup is the widest tire that will fit on that rim, so kind of poochy; you can easily add 0.5" each, perhaps an inch with finessing the et or adding camber). Although some people swear by the improvements of an additional 10 or 20 of width, I've always been taught that this does not change the size of contact patch or improve handling unless you are on a track maxxing out the tires.

Also, anybody who told you 'the geometry will be a mess' was either referring to a specific setup (one that changes key parameters) or they are talking out of their butt and trying to sell you something. Geometry depends upon location of the contact patch, which would be identical between 18" and 19" wheels of the same width and offset. I think it is fairly difficult to physically fit a tire into the wheel well that is far off of stock, but even minor changes to turning circle/scrub radius can be noticeable to some.

This is a simple direct online calculator that will let you get info about how a change will affect the fit, with a good visual display: http://www.tire-size-calculator.info/ This one is more wonky and gets into scrub radius and fender clearance, but you need to know the factory baselines, which I don't have: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/
Appreciate 0