THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Head Unit Defective

10-06-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW235i 2014

Head Unit Defective

Gents,

I have the hifi unit (base head unit) on my 2014 M235i connected to aftermarket Marconi amps, Marconi DSP, Focal speakers in doors and Jehnert bass underseat. About a year later 2 of the 4 line level outputs from the head unit died. I shut off the speakers on the back deck as they were not contributing much so I lived with it. Now one of the remaining line sets has the left channel out.

So my first option - replace the head unit with a new or used OEM replacement which I do not know the exact model for...does anyone have this? ?

or look for an aftermarket head unit that has a better radio and up to date iphone X wired integration to feed the system without taking me backwards as I enjoy the stored music feature. Is there such a product?

Thanks it has been years.

Does anyone have any info on either of these?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 09:13 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

That's weird. Did you car come with the navigation system? How did you determine that the line level (aka "RCA") outputs are bad?

The problem is that these cars are so electronically integrated that replacing the head unit with an aftermarket unit may not work.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #3
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile View Post
Gents,

I have the hifi unit (base head unit) on my 2014 M235i connected to aftermarket Marconi amps, Marconi DSP, Focal speakers in doors and Jehnert bass underseat. About a year later 2 of the 4 line level outputs from the head unit died. I shut off the speakers on the back deck as they were not contributing much so I lived with it. Now one of the remaining line sets has the left channel out.

So my first option - replace the head unit with a new or used OEM replacement which I do not know the exact model for...does anyone have this? ?

or look for an aftermarket head unit that has a better radio and up to date iphone X wired integration to feed the system without taking me backwards as I enjoy the stored music feature. Is there such a product?

Thanks it has been years.

Does anyone have any info on either of these?
BMW used so many variations of the head unit it would be difficult to know without taking it out.
That being said you can get it out in 10 minutes. (still wired but enough to take a picture of the back).
If you got a replacement it would need to be programmed though.
      10-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
That's weird. Did you car come with the navigation system? How did you determine that the line level (aka "RCA") outputs are bad?

The problem is that these cars are so electronically integrated that replacing the head unit with an aftermarket unit may not work.
My car has Navi. I simply switched the line level feeds to the amps and the problem switched.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonM3 View Post
BMW used so many variations of the head unit it would be difficult to know without taking it out.
That being said you can get it out in 10 minutes. (still wired but enough to take a picture of the back).
I checked with BMW Canada and they claim that the model is 65126826793 and a few US suppliers of used units state that the units that they sell are compatible based on BMW database of a dozen different model/substitutions.

They say that this unit shown is compatible. I am not at all sure. A new one is 3K and this one is guaranteed for 30 days so I might just try it.

Thanks for chiming in.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtaphile View Post
Quote:
I checked with BMW Canada and they claim that the model is 65126826793 and a few US suppliers of used units state that the units that they sell are compatible based on BMW database of a dozen different model/substitutions.

They say that this unit shown is compatible. I am not at all sure. A new one is 3K and this one is guaranteed for 30 days so I might just try it.

Thanks for chiming in.
You will still need some coding. Reach out to steve@codemybimmer and Steve can do it remotely.
      10-11-2020, 09:20 AM   #7
gtaphile
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You will still need some coding. Reach out to steve@codemybimmer and Steve can do it remotely.
I will-thanks. Need to pull it out and confirm compatibility first.
Appreciate 0