THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Three Years Later: Steering Rack Clunk Fixed for $70

11-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #23
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfujay View Post
What springs do you have?
The ones in the Bilstein B14 kit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #24
Stefo
Rep
Drives: BMW M240 xi 2017

I just bought my 2017 M240xi in August and I have the same problem clunk noise in the suspension when going over mild bumps. You can hear it more on the drivers side. Bothered the hell out of me and it still does.
I brought it into the dealer and they replaced the drivers side spring strut. They also removed and re-installed thrust rods on the front stabilizer.
It seemed better but can still hear the noise. Sometimes it sounds like a tin can/hallow noise.
I also tried moving the steering wheel when car is off and I can hear the noise, similar to the previous post with the YouTube video, but it is not a loud as his.
I will try to inform my dealer for warranty service with this new information.
I have no modifications on the car.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #25
Stefo
Rep

Went to the dealer yesterday to show them the steering wheel noise while car is not running (similar to the video on this tread). The master Tech said that the noise is normal. If there was a noise while the car is running, then there would be a problem (which there was none). He also test drove the car and found no problems.
I had printed and gave him a copy of the beginning of this thread. He was not aware of any issues with the steering rack and he thanked me for the info.
So I am out of luck. It seems I'm in the same boat as everyone else with this problem. Order the parts and fix it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:30 AM   #26
Stefo
Rep

Here are some YouTube videos for replacing the steering thrust piece.
Can not find one for the F22 but the F30 videos are the closest.

For an F20, F30 model

F30 model

For an F25, X3 model
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 09:33 PM   #27
zombem235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

So is alignment required after this? Heard both sides. Ive got the same issue. Anyone had it done at a shop? Price?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2023, 08:40 AM   #28
roarf
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW and Lotus

Who else has some years/mileage on their car after doing this repair? My M235i has the classic knocking noise over bumps at low speed.

I bought the parts, grease, and tool, then got to reading the ISTA procedure and realized there is a lot more to it than any of the DIYs mention. Apparently you are supposed to open up the inner tie-rod boots and check/set the lash with special tools afterwards? (I guess that's why the kit comes with new clamps) There's also a sleeve tool (like you would use to install new pistons) that keeps the o-rings from getting cut on the threads when you insert the new thrust piece into the rack. What's everyone's take on this? Is it safe enough to just use the "feels about right" method? Did anyone follow the ISTA procedure to a T?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2023, 09:34 PM   #29
bigfwop
Rep
Drives: e92 335i, F15 X35I

Hello, Quick Question on this; I recently when through hell isolating this issue but eventually I installed the kit and was able to reduce the noise by about 90% with moderate preload (Steering does return to normal. The only way I've been able to get rid of the noise 100% was by adding way too much pre-load so I'm wondering if the steering rack is toast or if they're anything additional that needs to be done. Anyone else have this issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 12:24 AM   #30
Cboy
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 AW F87 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdeed View Post
Engine off I hear the noise just from central position of wheel turning left and right (small turning).

Driving, I hear a clonk almost full right turning, going slow and over a bump or uneven surface.
Do you hear and feel the clonk? I’m getting a clonk that I feel in the floor while going slow and turning. Randomly.
Appreciate 0