THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos My OEM+ Alpine White M240i

08-26-2020, 08:06 PM   #23
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

In an attempt to resolve the steering play, I installed Dinan monoballs on my front thrust arms. There is still a 1" spot that takes significantly less effort and makes the car move significantly less either direction at the center. There is still a distinct point 1/2" either direction that the steering hefts up and more movement happens. Monoball bearings did not remove this attribute but I do believe they cut this feeling by about 50%.

On the plus side, I can actually tell what the front wheels are doing for the first time since buying this car while driving. A minimal about of (still comfortable) road feel and vibrations now come through the steering wheel. I can place the wheel exactly where I want to in a turn and I now know what's going to happen. The car is significantly more predictable with much better road feel.

I've uploaded two videos below.

Video 1 shows the same steering wheel movement side to side. However, you can see the camera moving more than the original video because despite this still being a 1" spot in the steering where there is less road feel and less initial turn in, the steering wheel causes more movement to happen here.

Video 2 shows what happens when I push the steering wheel to the very edge of that 1" spot in the middle that I previously called a dead spot, but can be more accurately called a spot that totally lacks road feel. It will quickly move into the lane next to me where before it was much lazier making this move.

I feel like this modification wasn't drastic at the end of the day. Instead of getting in and going "is this even my car?" like coilovers would do, it's more of a mod where if someone took my car, didn't tell me about the mod, then gave it back, I'd be driving home thinking "that's weird, was the steering always this good?"

It's certainly not steering from BMW's glory days, but it made a notable improvement on what I feel is the car's weakest point.
      08-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #24
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Also received part 1 of 2 for my M Sport > full M steering wheel conversion. Always loved the cut out middle on the M wheels, makes the M Sport look weak in comparison.
Attached Images

08-29-2020, 07:30 PM   #25
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

LOVE the way this looks. The center trim is metal on F8X trim compared to plastic on the original pieces. The front black area is wrapped in synthetic leather on F8X while that's also textured plastic on the M Sport trim. On a hot day my original trim sounded like a bag of chips when I pressed on it. The new trim feels so much more solid.
Attached Images

09-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #26
AR_Motorwerkz
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F82 M4, BMW WIDEBODY F13

Nice upgrades on the steering wheel! How does the Coby wheel feel compared to stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:55 PM   #27
cyal8r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 10:35 PM   #28
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyal8r View Post
Any updates?
The only mod I can think of that I've done lately is a dual resonator delete on my midpipe. Sounds great! Pops quite a bit in sport mode, so I wouldn't recommend it for someone who doesn't like deceleration burbles.

Gave it a wash a few days ago.
Attached Images

03-16-2021, 11:11 AM   #29
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Nice. Looks like aside from the paint color (yours is mineral white, mine is alpine white) and mine also having the Driver Assistance Package, this is the exact same spec and year (2017).
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2021, 02:26 PM   #30
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHP to B58 View Post
Nice. Looks like aside from the paint color (yours is mineral white, mine is alpine white) and mine also having the Driver Assistance Package, this is the exact same spec and year (2017).
What's the driver assistance package? I have the cruse control with braking function, but it's not adaptive cruise.
      03-16-2021, 03:07 PM   #31
ZHP to B58
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

From what I could tell, 3 main things:

1) There's a button below the headlight dial that turns on lane departure assist. It basically causes the steering wheel to vibrate and/or a warning whenever the car drifts out of the current lane. Not too sure how this works; I always leave it off.

2) Next to the button for 1) is another for early collision warning. The parking sensors in front will signal a warning on the dash if it senses a stopped vehicle or pedestrian in front. Also don't use this either.

3) Automatic high beams. On the left steering wheel stalk (to engage turn signals), the lower button on the side turns this feature on. At night, when the front-facing camera detects no other oncoming cars' headlights or taillights, etc., it will automatically turn on the high beams. If there's light up ahead, the camera turns off the high beams. The camera for this is located behind the center rearview mirror.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
What's the driver assistance package? I have the cruse control with braking function, but it's not adaptive cruise.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 08:14 PM   #32
erdnahp
Rep
Drives: M235i

BrettKA7 How have the wheels held up? Any bends or quality issues since you first put them on?
Appreciate 0