THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes LSD Options

09-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
LSD Options

Has anyone tried Quaife, Wavetrac, or MFactory? I would love to get the OEM BMW LSD, but if I could save money on an equal or better product, that would be nice. Has anyone tried these? Does anyone know if they are as quality as the OEM?
      09-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Tbh I think the OEM one is the least quality, hence even they don't use it on their factory race cars.

I have a Quaife for 4 years now and I am very happy with how it transformed the car. Can't compare it to Wavetrac or Mfactory because I never had one.

I chose the Quaife because it is clutch free so there are no wearing parts, it is a install & forget part. I only change the oil every 1 or 2 years depending on how many trackdays I do.

Quaife is also a very reputable brand with a long history in motorsport and also comes as OEM on other car brands.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 2
dradernh4347.50
mikeysosa162.50
      09-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #3
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I have the Quaife in my M240i for a little over 2 years now - zero complaints. I also chose it for less maintenance and the fact that my car is street driven for 99% of the time. Plus I have had Quaife LSD's in other cars and had zero issues.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 2
dradernh4347.50
mikeysosa162.50
      09-29-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I chose the Quaife because it is clutch free so there are no wearing parts, it is a install & forget part.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I have the Quaife in my M240i for a little over 2 years now - zero complaints. I also chose it for less maintenance and the fact that my car is street driven for 99% of the time.
^^ This.

Same reason I went with the Wavetrac. Plus, when I asked Dan at Diffsonline what he would recommend for my street/track use, he said Wavetrac. That was all I needed to hear as I was already pretty sure the Wavetrac was what I wanted.
Appreciate 2
WolfGTI716.00
mikeysosa162.50
      09-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #5
Sonertial
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M240i 6MT

Also installed a Quaife, M240i.

It totally changed the way the car behaves, for the better.

I do have some complaints, not about the diff itself, but their installation method. Their seller, Birds in the UK use second hand exchange diff housings, so be very careful to look it over before installation..

I my case there is almost imperceptible oil seepage from the right hand drive seal, caused, I assume, by the fact that the seal seat was rusty. The installers did replace the seal, but it's still leaking. I was a stupid enough to accept the diff housing, even though I saw rust on the axel entry points. I did not feel qualified to have an opinion about it at the time, but I feel pretty bummed that the brand new housing I traded in got replaced by something which is rusting away at a much faster rate that the rest of the car. I just do the best I can to keep it under control, and focus on the car performance.
Appreciate 2
Heitzer103.00
mikeysosa162.50
      10-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You can't go wrong with either a Wavetrac or Quaife. Both will likely last as long as your car if you change the gear oil on a regular basis. Unless your type of driving is mostly track, drift or drag a gear type LSD is the way go go.

PM us if you have any specific questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
Also installed a Quaife, M240i.

It totally changed the way the car behaves, for the better.

I do have some complaints, not about the diff itself, but their installation method. Their seller, Birds in the UK use second hand exchange diff housings, so be very careful to look it over before installation..

I my case there is almost imperceptible oil seepage from the right hand drive seal, caused, I assume, by the fact that the seal seat was rusty. The installers did replace the seal, but it's still leaking. I was a stupid enough to accept the diff housing, even though I saw rust on the axel entry points. I did not feel qualified to have an opinion about it at the time, but I feel pretty bummed that the brand new housing I traded in got replaced by something which is rusting away at a much faster rate that the rest of the car. I just do the best I can to keep it under control, and focus on the car performance.
I have an alternative theory.

Bird's supply non OEM seals. They just don't fit as tight as the genuine BMW parts.

As for rust, the only part that will rust is the visible internal bore. The seal will not let moisture in to rust the important sealing bit.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #8
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quaife diff here too (well ex car now). Fantastic contraption. Better than the M diff in my M2C.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 08:32 PM   #9
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
Tbh I think the OEM one is the least quality, hence even they don't use it on their factory race cars.

I have a Quaife for 4 years now and I am very happy with how it transformed the car. Can't compare it to Wavetrac or Mfactory because I never had one.

I chose the Quaife because it is clutch free so there are no wearing parts, it is a install & forget part. I only change the oil every 1 or 2 years depending on how many trackdays I do.

Quaife is also a very reputable brand with a long history in motorsport and also comes as OEM on other car brands.
Hate to revive an old thread but I've been looking into LSD for my m235 for a while now. How much did it all cost for you to get a Quaife LSD? And where from?
      10-10-2022, 02:59 PM   #10
SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingling View Post
Hate to revive an old thread but I've been looking into LSD for my m235 for a while now. How much did it all cost for you to get a Quaife LSD? And where from?
I would suggest looking at a Wavetrac instead. I got mine from Diffsonline, and when asking Dan why he charges $200 more for a Quaife than Wavetrac, he simply said because the parts are more expensive. If a diff builder can't give me a tangible reason to give him $200 more, I would assume he only bothers offering it for people who already have a history/trust with the brand.

All in, my part from Diffsonline was very expensive. It used to be significantly less expensive, but of course, everything has gotten pricier in the past couple years. The "base price" for an F22 diff is $1349. The least expensive limited-slip option, Wavetrac, is $1500. Quaife is $1700. The least expensive price all-in-all is $2849 without shipping. I opted for a 3.46 gear ratio in place of stock 3.08 (+$1000), a magnetic drain plug (+$35) and a 2 fills of 75W-110 Red Line diff oil (+$100). I was in about $4000 without shipping. The core charge brings that up to about $1000, but that's fully refunded if you return your old diff. Shipping was about $100 each way, so call it $4200 pre-install.

My shop quoted me 4 hours of labor for install, but actually had to keep it overnight as they didn't expect how involved it would be. According to my shop, they had to disconnect the entire rear suspension assembly to get to the rear end, which they weren't expecting. I believe they upped me to 6 hours of labor, which was pretty generous considering it was probably more. Grand total, getting the diff installed was a touch under $5000. If you do everything as cheap as possible, without the gear ratio change and DIY the labor, you could be in for less than $3500.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #11
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Had the M Perf LSD installed in my m240i in June this year. The part was 2280 shipped from a BMW parts site. My local go-to shop did the install for $750. So $3030 all in, no core charge process. Then I paid $160 for a fluid change about 1500 miles after install. My only complaint is that I have a stock open diff in my garage that I'm not sure what to do with.
      10-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
Had the M Perf LSD installed in my m240i in June this year. The part was 2280 shipped from a BMW parts site. My local go-to shop did the install for $750. So $3030 all in, no core charge process. Then I paid $160 for a fluid change about 1500 miles after install. My only complaint is that I have a stock open diff in my garage that I'm not sure what to do with.
Sell it on eBay.
Appreciate 2