THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Partial ACL tear, Have some questions.

11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Partial ACL tear, Have some questions.

I had a partial ACL tear 2 years ago and I had surgery on it. The doctor cleaned it up and said the tear will heal by itself. I had been feeling discomfort the past couple of months so I went and got another MRI. The most recent MRI shows that the ACL is weak and isn't thick enough as the doctor would would like. He said my knee doesn't feel stable, but he said that I don't need surgery but he gave me an injection of something straight into my knee. Can anyone tell me what it was? He said it'll help dull the pain receptors and I have to check back in four weeks. What's the next step if this doesn't work? Knee Brace? Surgery?

Help is greatly appreciated!

~Mo
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
RevsPlease
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0i, Black Saphire

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I had a partial ACL tear 2 years ago and I had surgery on it. The doctor cleaned it up and said the tear will heal by itself. I had been feeling discomfort the past couple of months so I went and got another MRI. Doctor said that I don't need surgery but he gave me an injection of something straight into my knee. Can anyone tell me what it was? He said it'll help dull the pain receptors and I have to check back in four weeks. What's the next step if this doesn't work? Knee Brace? Surgery?

Help is greatly appreciated!

~Mo
Sounds like it might have been a Cortisone shot. However Cortisone only reduces inflammation, it is not an active pain killer. It does reduce pain though, but that is only because it brings down the inflammation.

That's all I know, good luck and take it easy!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Jerzguju
India
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevsPlease View Post
Sounds like it might have been a Cortisone shot. However Cortisone only reduces inflammation, it is not an active pain killer. It does reduce pain though, but that is only because it brings down the inflammation.

That's all I know, good luck and take it easy!
Yup sounds like a corticosteroid, it will reduce the inflammation therefore reducing the pain. You might feel like a million bucks but it hasn't solved the issue. They might refer you to physical therapy but I'm not to fond of ACL therapy. Take it easy!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzguju View Post
Yup sounds like a corticosteroid, it will reduce the inflammation therefore reducing the pain. You might feel like a million bucks but it hasn't solved the issue. They might refer you to physical therapy but I'm not to fond of ACL therapy. Take it easy!!
Thanks! So do you think that surgery is the best bet? I went through PT after the first surgery.Should I talk to him about that option?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

My knee cracks and pops like crazy.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #7
Jerzguju
India
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Thanks! So do you think that surgery is the best bet? I went through PT after the first surgery.Should I talk to him about that option?
Considering during the consult he had mentioned it isn't thick enough, from my understanding it hasn't torn or snapped therefore surgery isn't necessary. I would ask about physical therapy, again I'm not sure what's causing the underlying inflammation, but if its do to weakened ACL I'd assume therapy could help. Just my opinion and good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzguju View Post
Considering during the consult he had mentioned it isn't thick enough, from my understanding it hasn't torn or snapped therefore surgery isn't necessary. I would ask about physical therapy, again I'm not sure what's causing the underlying inflammation, but if its do to weakened ACL I'd assume therapy could help. Just my opinion and good luck!!
Thank you for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Mx736
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
This happened to me the first time when i hurt my knee. The doctor said that its not torn and it will heal by itself, but it never did. A couple months later i ended up tearing it and tearing my meniscus. Went back to doctor to get surgery to fix both. Then last year my knee exploded again. My knee has never felt the same. By waiting for the acl to heal the first time another doctor said I messed up my knee even more. So i suggest getting another opinion from a different doctor.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #10
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx736 View Post
This happened to me the first time when i hurt my knee. The doctor said that its not torn and it will heal by itself, but it never did. A couple months later i ended up tearing it and tearing my meniscus. Went back to doctor to get surgery to fix both. Then last year my knee exploded again. My knee has never felt the same. By waiting for the acl to heal the first time another doctor said I messed up my knee even more. So i suggest getting another opinion from a different doctor.
It really hasn't. My knee pops and it feels very tight.I will be contacting another doctor for a second opinion. Thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:33 PM   #11
Mx736
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [9.00]
If you feel pain with the poping its probably the ACL and it should be fixed. If you also hear like a crunching noise that means there is also a problem with the cartilage in the knee. I suggest you see different doctors. I had to see 5 different doctors before i found one that would do surgery on kids. I was only 16 when I had my first surgery and back then many doctors didnt do acl repairs on kids because it could stop growth in that leg.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #12
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx736 View Post
If you feel pain with the poping its probably the ACL and it should be fixed. If you also hear like a crunching noise that means there is also a problem with the cartilage in the knee. I suggest you see different doctors. I had to see 5 different doctors before i found one that would do surgery on kids. I was only 16 when I had my first surgery and back then many doctors didnt do acl repairs on kids because it could stop growth in that leg.
Well, the first time I had surgery on the knee the doctor told me my knee bones had grinned together causing lots of small cracks in the bones. I hear a small crunch. There is no pain but I think that's because of the shot he gave me, I was only 19 when I had my first surgery. Getting a second opinion isn't a bad idea. I have no idea why I should wait 4 weeks if the shot he gave me is just a pain killer that will reduce inflammation. I have no inflammation. I have another doctor. I just need to call and make an appointment tomorrow.

P.S. After that shot, my knee is just about to explode. It's killing me. Actually thinking of going to the ER.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #13
Tondtar
12 yr old Juvie
Vanuatu
Rep
Drives: His Mom Crazy

Garage List
I hope the injection wasn't given by a Mexican doctor because it could be anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #14
mikeith
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG

iirc from what my doc told me and what i've heard from other orthos is that ligaments never heal whether it is a partial or full tear. i have NO pcl and haven't since i was 18. tore it riding motorcycles and doc said on "athletic" people they wont repair an PCL because something with how the surgery is compared to an ACL repair is done causes more damage to the knee than rehabbing it. i check with 3 docs total and got the same answer every time. went through SIX months of therapy and was 90% after that.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #15
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeith View Post
iirc from what my doc told me and what i've heard from other orthos is that ligaments never heal whether it is a partial or full tear. i have NO pcl and haven't since i was 18. tore it riding motorcycles and doc said on "athletic" people they wont repair an PCL because something with how the surgery is compared to an ACL repair is done causes more damage to the knee than rehabbing it. i check with 3 docs total and got the same answer every time. went through SIX months of therapy and was 90% after that.
I went through 4 months of PT but it wasn't 100% and I knew it. It hasn't felt right and the pain just kept becoming worse and worse. I may stop by the ER tonight. Whatever he put into my knee, it's causing a lot of pain.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #16
mikeith
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i. TiAG

Quote:
I went through 4 months of PT but it wasn't 100% and I knew it. It hasn't felt right and the pain just kept becoming worse and worse. I may stop by the ER tonight. Whatever he put into my knee, it's causing a lot of pain.
yeah thats def not good. my pain def got better and better as PT went on
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #17
Exalted_Tuna
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
im having my third surgery on my right knee january 6th. i have another horizontal meniscal tear (second one) and have had my ACL done. i know where your coming from.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #18
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosites87 View Post
im having my third surgery on my right knee january 6th. i have another horizontal meniscal tear (second one) and have had my ACL done. i know where your coming from.
Ouch! Hope all goes well for you, and you have a speedy recovery. I'm going to try and see if I can get my second. Obviously, it's not healing. It's been like this for 2 years now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #19
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

For you guys with bad knees, are you guys avid runners?

I used to be a runner, until I started getting lots of knee pain. Then I switched to different low impact cardio and my knees have been great ever since.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

I'm not exactly sure about your question but my dad has had 4 ACL surgeries. They all worked fine until he went and did something stupid to tear it again. If you do get surgery, TAKE IT EASY for a LONG time. If you want some more info, I'll ask him about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #21
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post

I used to be a runner, until I started getting lots of knee pain. Then I switched to different low impact cardio and my knees have been great ever since.
Use to be before a couple of months ago before the pain came back. I use Reebock easy tones to soften the impact on my knee when I walk. When I'm out running, I use Nike Max Airs. Light, comfortable, and fit great.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #22
Exalted_Tuna
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
2022 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Ouch! Hope all goes well for you, and you have a speedy recovery. I'm going to try and see if I can get my second. Obviously, it's not healing. It's been like this for 2 years now.

thanks man. i just kept hurting it during PT training

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaArtist View Post

my knees got bad because ive played hockey since i was 4. now 20 the years of skating and getting kneed took its toll. the first surgery was fine and my knee held up great. up until then i was not an avid runner until the corps. now i run more than i used to.
Appreciate 0