THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Leaving OBD Bluetooth Dongle Plugged In - Battery Discharge?

05-19-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Conr4d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Leaving OBD Bluetooth Dongle Plugged In - Battery Discharge?

I use the Veepeak OBD BLE+ Bluetooth Dongle to monitor oil/coolant/transmission/intake temperature gauges while driving via the Bimmerlink app.

Will leaving the OBD bluetooth dongle plugged in while the car is parked/off prematurely discharge the car’s battery?

I have read other users having issues where their alarm is triggered when they attempt to lock their car with an OBD Bluetooth dongle plugged in. My 2016 M235i does not do this. I would prefer to leave it plugged in for convenience if there is no risk to the battery.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray Metallic - Dinan Intake | Evolution ITB & TIC Charge Pipes | Evolution Intercooler | TurboSmart Diverter Valve | Evolution Down Pipe | Dinan Resonator Delete Mid Pipe | Dinan Exhaust | BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane | NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs | xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash | M Performance Rotors | Autotecknic Carbon Mirrors | RKP Carbon Trunk Lip Spoiler | M Performance Carbon Shifter | M Performance LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Quick answer: yes but most drain so little you wouldnt notice if the car is driven at least 3x a week.

Longer answer: depends on the dongle but in most cases yes. ODB2 standard puts constant power to the port (there is always power there even if key off, car parked). Most dongles are on when plugged in, and only turn off when you unplug it. So it will be on all the time and a small drain on battery, especially cheaper dongles where they make the circuitry as simple/cheap as possible. Some dongles small drain, some larger. I've seen some high end wifi dongles that detect when the car is off and turns itself off thereby not using the constant power source even tho it is there, and thereby not using power when car is off. If your car driven once a week or less, I'd unplug it. Most the cheap dongles would take 2-3 weeks to drain a new good battery in summer. But constant drain and recharge will shorten the life of a battery. And why deal with it in very cold winter or when your battery is older and towards end of life and now you have a jump/charger situation just for a dongle
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:15 PM   #3
Conr4d
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
Quick answer: yes but most drain so little you wouldnt notice if the car is driven at least 3x a week.

Longer answer: depends on the dongle but in most cases yes. ODB2 standard puts constant power to the port (there is always power there even if key off, car parked). Most dongles are on when plugged in, and only turn off when you unplug it. So it will be on all the time and a small drain on battery, especially cheaper dongles where they make the circuitry as simple/cheap as possible. Some dongles small drain, some larger. I've seen some high end wifi dongles that detect when the car is off and turns itself off thereby not using the constant power source even tho it is there, and thereby not using power when car is off. If your car driven once a week or less, I'd unplug it. Most the cheap dongles would take 2-3 weeks to drain a new good battery in summer. But constant drain and recharge will shorten the life of a battery. And why deal with it in very cold winter or when your battery is older and towards end of life and now you have a jump/charger situation just for a dongle
Appreciate the feedback. I am going to unplug after each use. Better safe than sorry, its one extra step to plug and unplug each time.
2016 M235i Mineral Gray Metallic - Dinan Intake | Evolution ITB & TIC Charge Pipes | Evolution Intercooler | TurboSmart Diverter Valve | Evolution Down Pipe | Dinan Resonator Delete Mid Pipe | Dinan Exhaust | BM3 Stage 2 93 Octane | NGK 2-Step Colder Plugs | xHP Stage 3 Trans Flash | M Performance Rotors | Autotecknic Carbon Mirrors | RKP Carbon Trunk Lip Spoiler | M Performance Carbon Shifter | M Performance LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 07:17 PM   #4
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

As a general rule of thumb, dongle discharge isn't good.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 11:43 PM   #5
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
As a general rule of thumb, dongle discharge isn't good.

I don't have an OBD adapter in my current car, but I've always left it plugged in my other cars with no issues. Just make sure you drive the car regularly and there should be no issues.
Appreciate 0