THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Review Bavsound Ghost Woofers and Match Amp

08-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Black on Black

Review Bavsound Ghost Woofers and Match Amp

I previously installed the Bavsound woofers and they are a decent improvement to the sound with the stock amp.

https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Underse...ofer-Upgrades/

I also just added the match up7BMW amp
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7bmw

I have spent a fair amount of time tuning the amp and I just realized these woofers are supposedly rated down to 20HZ. I previously hadn't tried any boost on the 25HZ slider but I slowly adjusted the sliders and I am actually shocked at how low these subs play and how good this amp with limitless adjustability is!!

I am very pleased with the system and as I get more time in tuning and adjusting will only get better!!

I suppose in time I will add the built-in sub in the trunk, but for now this will do
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Oops

I was going to do something similar. Does this clear up the HK enough to be livable or is it still all mud?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistantTea View Post
I was going to do something similar. Does this clear up the HK enough to be livable or is it still all mud?
I did replace the speakers 1st. However if I had to do it over again, I would replace the amp because it is so adjustable and go from there.

The Eatons make a big difference, but the amp has unlimited adjustability.

Maybe someone can chime in who did the amp first
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Love Bavsound

I ordered the car with the HK system, but I did not enjoy listening to it. I wanted to replace all the speakers and the amp at once, but because of availability issues I ended up getting the amp first, then the stage one speakers, and finally the Ghost version 2 subwoofers. The system sounded better with each replacement, but did not sound correct until the subs were in. The tune that came with the amp worked very well, so well that I decided not to risk tweaking it. Now the system sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #5
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
I ordered the car with the HK system, but I did not enjoy listening to it. I wanted to replace all the speakers and the amp at once, but because of availability issues I ended up getting the amp first, then the stage one speakers, and finally the Ghost version 2 subwoofers. The system sounded better with each replacement, but did not sound correct until the subs were in. The tune that came with the amp worked very well, so well that I decided not to risk tweaking it. Now the system sounds great.
Its interesting the different paths we all choose. I replaced the woofers 1st....and kept going.

What amp did you choose and what was the tune that came with it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

I feel ok about the HK system in my 2019 but it has never once thrilled me. I have seriously considered the $2,700 to bavsound out the entire thing. I wouldn't mind starting with the amp and subs to see if that cleaned it up enough to enjoy.

The UP7 isn't for HK systems right?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #7
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
I feel ok about the HK system in my 2019 but it has never once thrilled me. I have seriously considered the $2,700 to bavsound out the entire thing. I wouldn't mind starting with the amp and subs to see if that cleaned it up enough to enjoy.

The UP7 works fine with the 2 series HK.
Appreciate 1
Hekler29.00
      08-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #8
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Search Dirtboy M2 stereo build. He has done so much research and first hand mods on his build, its amazing.

He talked me into the Match amp because of the adjustability! Its incredible....
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
ctemkin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekler View Post
Its interesting the different paths we all choose. I replaced the woofers 1st....and kept going.

What amp did you choose and what was the tune that came with it?
Hekler,

I got the amp that at the time Bavsound was selling along with the speakers. It was the Match PP82DSP. Similarly, the tune was the tune that Bavsound pre-installed on the amp. At one point I learned from Bavsound that this tune was based on the stage 1 speakers and the Ghost version 2 subs. According to the company, the Ghost 2 subs had a broader frequency range and different frequency response from the OEM subs. That may explain why the system did not sound right until I got the Ghost 2 subs.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
Hekler,

I got the amp that at the time Bavsound was selling along with the speakers. It was the Match PP82DSP. Similarly, the tune was the tune that Bavsound pre-installed on the amp. At one point I learned from Bavsound that this tune was based on the stage 1 speakers and the Ghost version 2 subs. According to the company, the Ghost 2 subs had a broader frequency range and different frequency response from the OEM subs. That may explain why the system did not sound right until I got the Ghost 2 subs.
Ok great. I got their ghost 2 subs and after adjusting the amp they sound amazing for 8" in floor subs......
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

I installed the Ghost woofers first and the improvement is rather significant. Did you know there are separate notes to some bass? BMW apparently does not know this. Install really was all of 30 minutes. I think I'm doing the bavsound stage one speakers next and then the amp after all that is in place... and then I will have spent $2700 to replace my $800 HK system. *face palm*
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
I installed the Ghost woofers first and the improvement is rather significant. Did you know there are separate notes to some bass? BMW apparently does not know this. Install really was all of 30 minutes. I think I'm doing the bavsound stage one speakers next and then the amp after all that is in place... and then I will have spent $2700 to replace my $800 HK system. *face palm*
I'd do the amp first. Easier install and you may not need speakers at that point. I've got everything, speakers ghosts and amp, then went ahead to do in trunk focal with JL amp.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I'd do the amp first. Easier install and you may not need speakers at that point. I've got everything, speakers ghosts and amp, then went ahead to do in trunk focal with JL amp.
I agree totally. The amp is so powerful and flexible I think maybe just front 2 speakers . Live and learn....

I was trying to go the "easy way out" and its just the long way
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #14
motobman
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i Coupe

Hekler, what type of "adjustments" did you make for the amp. ALso, I have the Revenant Bavsound amp at home waiting to install with their Ghost subs. I should only have to set it to the newer, HK Map I believe, does that sound correct? Hoping the amp and subs upgrade help the loudness and clarity.

Moto
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 11:13 PM   #15
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobman View Post
Hekler, what type of "adjustments" did you make for the amp. ALso, I have the Revenant Bavsound amp at home waiting to install with their Ghost subs. I should only have to set it to the newer, HK Map I believe, does that sound correct? Hoping the amp and subs upgrade help the loudness and clarity.

Moto
I have the match amp and can adjust the equalizer hooked to the amp and to my laptop. As far as I know the Revenant Bavsound amp isn't adjustable?

Sorry I am not totally sure how that amp is set up or works? Its cool if you have maps?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 10:22 AM   #16
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
The HK in my new M240i was better than the HK in my M235i, which I never upgraded. Still wasn't happy with the HK in my new M240i, so I upgraded.

I did the Bavsound speakers first, then their amp and finally the ghost woofers. Waited for sales on each to reduce cost. Still mulling over whether I want a subwoofer in the trunk.

Very happy with the results so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #17
DistantTea
Private First Class
Rep

Can we get a class action lawsuit against BMW for how shitty the HK system sounds? I kid, I kid. Thankfully most of us have money to upgrade this mess. I'm looking hard at that match amp...
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      08-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #18
Hekler
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Can we get a class action lawsuit against BMW for how shitty the HK system sounds? I kid, I kid. Thankfully most of us have money to upgrade this mess. I'm looking hard at that match amp...
The match seems to have the most adjustability, the power is strong and very clean sounding. Even though I haven't figured out hot to us the Real Time Analyzer yet, it sounds very good!!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
They gave me a refund on the HK when I ordered it in my 2014, lot of us got $ back because the description was highly inaccurate.
Appreciate 0