THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery Buying first new car. 228i Northern NJ

12-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
2yo
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 228i xDrive

Buying first new car. 228i Northern NJ

Hi guys. Just signed up for the forum as I will be buying my new 228i around late February of 2015. As a 24 year old, this will be my first new car purchase. I finished my Master's degree in May, have been working for a while and saving over the past 3 years. Now it's finally come time to get myself that present that I have been waiting for. I am not up to speed with the whole ordering/allocations concept. I have been checking dealerships around me (Northern NJ) and most have 1 or 2 228i's on the lot max and aren't exactly the spec that I want. Can anybody explain this a concept a little more, as I most likely will have to order and wait for the car however long?

I most likely will be going with the base model (not too much into paying the extra money for the sport line or msport as the differences don't really appeal to me) along with some packages. I'm looking at premium, tech, cold weather, and driver assistance as the packages in my car, as this would be my daily driver and only car. Anybody have advice on what packages are more essential and what you can do without? What's worth it and what's not in your experience? This is the first BMW I will ever own.

With all that said and with the bmw configurator pricing the msrp of the above car and packages at $39,950 before destination, what is a good guesstimation (thank you Mrs. Bohlen, my 5th grade math teacher) for the amount I could expect to pay after negotiation with the dealer? Any recommended dealers in the area that people have experience with?

Phew. That was a lot. Thanks and sorry for the long post.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #2
jbost002
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Estoril Blue

My first BMW (e46) did not have cold weather. My second (e92) did. Just placed an order for an M235i, sans cold weather package, if that tells you anything. I rarely use it, even in the winter. I find the warm seats to be more of an annoyance than an aid, and it does get cold in Virginia.

In my experience, you should definitely shop around at various dealers, as that is how you get the best pricing. Best to show them you are serious. BMW also has a recent college grad credit that will save you some $$.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Lighting package is must, safety wise. Also seats in sportline and Msport packages are a thousand times better than base IMHO
      12-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
2yo
Private
Rep

Are the seats really that different? Is it just bolsters? I haven't sat in the sport seats so I honestly have no idea. I have to keep in mind that I am a wider than average guy.

Last edited by 2yo; 12-23-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Parking sensors / rear view camera are options that seem to preserve the car.

Xenon headlights are nice on my 235, though when I drive my GF's Accord with incandescent bulb they work just fine for me.

The Sensatec seat fabric I really like.

Most important; are the colors you want, either the manual trans or 8 spd auto are great, the chassis and engine are great.

Leather interior, enhanced audio or display, sunroof - are options I never think about while driving and really wonder if I would pay extra for them.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

I agree that the lighting package is a must, for safety and looks.

Also, test drive one of the line cars with the M-sport suspension. IMO, it is much better than the stock suspension. Same with the sport seats. I ended up getting the track handling package as well.

This is more of a subjective thing, but I never really found parking sensors / backup cameras that useful, especially in such a small car. Maybe if you were getting an SUV.

Push for 10+% off of MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
2yo
Private
Rep

I like the look of the msport, but do not love paying 3k more for it. I can afford it, but really dont want to as i feel like the packages that I am considering (tech, prem, cold weath, and driver assistance) are money better spent for my lifestyle. Personally, idk how I feel about how bmw uses "lines" for their cars
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer86 View Post

This is more of a subjective thing, but I never really found parking sensors / backup cameras that useful, especially in such a small car. Maybe if you were getting an SUV.
I've had back up camera's on two cars I've owned and never use them. I'm just old school with using the mirrors and looking over shoulder to look out back window. On an SUV, maybe, but as a $900 option on a small car, hard to justify.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #9
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

I'm also looking at ordering a 228i for ED. I'm looking at the base model, plus about $5000 in options. Trying to decide on the options is difficult due to the way the options are packaged by BMW.

The premium package has options I want, but I can do without the sunroof and leather seats. You'd think the SiriusXM would also be packaged with the HK sound option. The auto dimming side/rear mirrors with the lighting or driver assist package.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Sportline gives you the sport seats and m suspension but costs less than Msport
      12-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBro2002 View Post
I've had back up camera's on two cars I've owned and never use them. I'm just old school with using the mirrors and looking over shoulder to look out back window. On an SUV, maybe, but as a $900 option on a small car, hard to justify.
Within a year or two back-up cameras will be mandatory on ( I believe ) all new passenger cars. You can retro-fit cameras cheaper then BMW optioned / but that won't be an issue when the NHTSA rules goes into effect.
If you buy the car and plant to sell it after a few or more years the back-up camera option could be helpful during resale.

Last edited by overcoil; 12-24-2014 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #12
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
My first BMW (2008 128i) I got with no options at all. This was a purchase for the vehicle alone because I found out how refined a 16 year old 318is felt on the road. Most of my vehicles before the 128i were.... well lets say very basic. The only thing I regretted on my 128i were xenon headlights and some heated seats for those really cold winter days. Like last year when temps were near 0 degrees. Also, I would recommend drivers assistance package. This is good for those really tight parking situations.

This time since I had some good fortune the M235i was the vehicle of choice for me. Since most all the options I would want came standard I just added drivers assistance package and cold weather.

Bottom line IMO the best options on a 228i for me would be:
Xenon headlights
Cold Weather
Drivers Assistance Package

If you are going to max out a 228i I would suggest just going for an M235i though IMO
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
dredog1984
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White M340i

Garage List
2014 BMW 228i  [0.00]
228i Options

Use the online configurator just to help you get an idea of what you want. When it comes time to place an order, make sure you get the dealer's spec sheet. I say this because the website tends to not reflect all options. I don't have an alarm system thanks to the option not being listed on the configurator therefore I assumed that all new BMWs had an alarm.

Be sure to properly study what wheels & tires are coming with your car. I started with the base trim so I ended up with some 205 All-Season Run Flats that are by far the achilles heel of the car. I'd recommend the track pack since it does come with upgraded wheels and tires and I love the adaptive suspension.

I somewhat regret not getting the tech package, but if you're not looking to blow your budget, leave it off the list. I argued my way into having the SiriusXM module activated for free so keep that in mind. I'm not some sort of negotiating boss, but I was tired of the dealership games they had been playing.

I feel the lighting package was worth it. This car is two feet long (give or take) so the driver assistance package just doesn't seem to be necessary.

Good luck and no matter what you end up doing, be happy with the choice and live below your means. You want to love this car, not spite it because it's taking 30% of your monthly income.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #14
2yo
Private
Rep

I refuse to have it go over 40k. Not because I can't afford it, but because I can't justify in my mind spending over that limit. I am really not a huge fan of the "lines" thing, nor am I really going to track the car. Not so sure the uprated suspension is necessary. Anybody have experience with the base suspension and can report what it drives like?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #15
Bimmer86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant601 View Post
I refuse to have it go over 40k. Not because I can't afford it, but because I can't justify in my mind spending over that limit. I am really not a huge fan of the "lines" thing, nor am I really going to track the car. Not so sure the uprated suspension is necessary. Anybody have experience with the base suspension and can report what it drives like?
I actually had a similar mindset on the final price when choosing what options I wanted. We just have different priorities . Really I think the best thing to do is to just test drive both and see if you think it is worth the extra cost. The M-sport suspension also lowers the ride height. I am used to cars with stiffer sportier suspensions and the standard suspension is fine, but just too squishy for me and I know I would have regretted not upgrading it from day one.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
ivierlin27
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
I actually had a similar mindset on the final price when choosing what options I wanted. We just have different priorities . Really I think the best thing to do is to just test drive both and see if you think it is worth the extra cost. The M-sport suspension also lowers the ride height. I am used to cars with stiffer sportier suspensions and the standard suspension is fine, but just too squishy for me and I know I would have regretted not upgrading it from day one.
I went with no line, but the Track Handling Package, which gets the adaptive M Suspension from the m235i.

My final build was MSRP $36,795 (6MT, metallic grey, THP, power front seats).

I debated over the tech package, but I really didn't need any of those features for my daily driver. I have a family car for longer trips, so this is just an around town car for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
jbenington86
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2017 Tundra

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2008 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Really I think the best thing to do is to just test drive both and see if you think it is worth the extra cost. I am used to cars with stiffer sportier suspensions and the standard suspension is fine, but just too squishy for me and I know I would have regretted not upgrading it from day one.
+1

To me the standard suspension would be fine but some people just want that little extra.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #18
2yo
Private
Rep

Is there any possible way that I could NOT get run flats from the dealer and just get normal all-seasons????
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #19
M2TROLL
WRX Betrayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix Estoril Blue Coral Red

I worked out the deal for my m235i with rachel and nick from park ave bmw if you are in northern jersey. Was a pretty good experience and worked with me on the price. Then again I had bmw of tenafly, paul miller bmw, and park ave bmw competing for my purchase. In the end stuck with park ave because I liked the people better and matched the great deal that paul miller had offered me. If you do head over to park ave ask for both rachel and nick and tell them brandon with the superman m235i sent you. They will take great care of you.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:10 PM   #20
2yo
Private
Rep

Can anybody describe the order process for me? Like detail how it works and tell me what would happen step by step? I've never done it before as my family buys Hyundais, and with that brand, it's what's on the lot and that's it. They do not take orders. If I order, will it change how the dealer is willing to negotiate with me?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #21
overcoil
Major General
Rep

I recommend you get the Consumer Reports Automobile Buying Issue, maybe even their dedicated price guide for your car for a small fee.

Familiarize yourself with order deposit and deposit refund.
Study taxes, tag&license fees.

Much of what you need is contained on the pricing/buying threads on this forum.

Psyche yourself in that you control the deal and you only sign when you fully understand all fees and the dealers ordering process.

I recommend (without negotiating a deal or signing anything ) you go to a dealer and ask them to show you the order form and have them describe their process and time frame.

Also most importantly you need to develop an Out The Door price or in the neighborhood price you are willing to pay - when ready to buy call dealers, e-mail dealers or drop by a dealer and ask if they will sell you the car complete OTD for THIS price
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #22
2yo
Private
Rep

I have a price set in my mind that I am willing to pay. Never seen an order for nor was I aware of the consumer reports thinget. I'll check into that and continue with the research.
Appreciate 0