THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Software Updates

03-19-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
T4455
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Software Updates

I have been learning a lot by reading all the coding threads but I'm still confused on the software updates and what it does.

What cars benefit from software updates? What does the software updates normally offer?

It seems that it is a placebo effect and no one really know what the software will update for your car.

If anyone has any insight please share it here and maybe we can figure something out.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
BMW software updates are for correcting issues with the car's electronics. Some may be related to drivetrain performance, and others for chassis, HVAC, or the "entertainment" system. When a dealership updates a car's software, it can wipe out any feature (FDL) coding that may have been done, requiring a re-do. When using E-Sys, the data for any module that has been changed can be saved to your hard drive so you can push it back to that module after BMW has re-flashed the car's software.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 09:23 AM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I know for certain that the new software fixes an error they had with brake pad measurements. GF car said need pads in 3k miles and after SW update had 35k. Verified at dealer they visually inspected and measured. Brakes definitely didn't need to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
BMW software updates are for correcting issues with the car's electronics. Some may be related to drivetrain performance, and others for chassis, HVAC, or the "entertainment" system. When a dealership updates a car's software, it can wipe out any feature (FDL) coding that may have been done, requiring a re-do. When using E-Sys, the data for any module that has been changed can be saved to your hard drive so you can push it back to that module after BMW has re-flashed the car's software.
Yes, understood but many will do a software update through e-sys if you use the full PSdZData no matter what and I wanted to try to make a list of what the software might actually do by sharing experiences here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I know for certain that the new software fixes an error they had with brake pad measurements. GF car said need pads in 3k miles and after SW update had 35k. Verified at dealer they visually inspected and measured. Brakes definitely didn't need to be replaced.
Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
T4455
Private
Rep

My main question is that many people who code cars will upgrade software, but then others say you only do it if is necessary, so does anyone have a list of updates and why it would be necessary for each model? A bit confused on this.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4455 View Post
My main question is that many people who code cars will upgrade software, but then others say you only do it if is necessary, so does anyone have a list of updates and why it would be necessary for each model? A bit confused on this.
the files contain the updates for all models so it's really hard to tell what updates affect what model and because people are not supposed to do the updates themselves BMW will not make public what update does what...... if you have an issue that's software related, the dealer will first do an upgrade to the latest software and see if it fixes it... if not they will continue troubleshooting....

You shouldn't do upgrades yourself as you will need special charger for the car or you can end up screwing things up....

Now the bluetooth upgrade you do through the usb is another thing and you can do it as much as you want... it just updates the bluetooth and telephone software
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #7
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
the files contain the updates for all models so it's really hard to tell what updates affect what model and because people are not supposed to do the updates themselves BMW will not make public what update does what...... if you have an issue that's software related, the dealer will first do an upgrade to the latest software and see if it fixes it... if not they will continue troubleshooting....

You shouldn't do upgrades yourself as you will need special charger for the car or you can end up screwing things up....

Now the bluetooth upgrade you do through the usb is another thing and you can do it as much as you want... it just updates the bluetooth and telephone software
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. We know what you mean by using a battery and agree, we are referring to the people who code and charge money to code remotely, they do not use batteries and claim they have done thousands with no issues so we feel if they are able to do this they are taking a gamble in bricking their customer's car..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. We know what you mean by using a battery and agree, we are referring to the people who code and charge money to code remotely, they do not use batteries and claim they have done thousands with no issues so we feel if they are able to do this they are taking a gamble in bricking their customer's car..
for coding you don't really need a battery charger.... unless you are coding the DME which is very unlikely....

there is a huge difference between coding and flashing (software update)....

coding in 99.9% of the cases will not have any issues... it's not that they are taking a gamble... problem is people that do not read the guides and end up clicking "code default values" for example and putting the car in transport mode...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 04:38 AM   #9
T4455
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
for coding you don't really need a battery charger.... unless you are coding the DME which is very unlikely....

there is a huge difference between coding and flashing (software update)....

coding in 99.9% of the cases will not have any issues... it's not that they are taking a gamble... problem is people that do not read the guides and end up clicking "code default values" for example and putting the car in transport mode...
Yes, I understand that and the code default values issue, that is always mentioned so that is on them if they click that button.

I'm only making mention as many people who don't want to code will find a remote coder and many will code & update your software and not use any any batteries and many will tell you they did 10000 cars without issue so it is fine.

My only real reason for the post was to share if anyone knew what differences they seen after a software update so we can try to figure out what the updates pertain.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
T4455
Private
Rep

no updates or input on software updates?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:11 AM   #11
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
no updates or input on software updates?
There are not release notes so you can check which ECU's have newer available software, but cannot get more details than that.
Appreciate 0