THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Retrofitting Supra Seats

01-25-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

Retrofitting Supra Seats

We have a supra on the showroom here at work (i work for toyota) and I've been curious if anyone knows if the seats from the new Supra will fit the M235i? They look to be about the same size, interior layout are basically the same save for minor center console button changes. I really like how these seats look and feel.

I guess now I just need to find seat dimensions and whether or not it uses the same wire harness for the airbag/seat heater/power?

Pics:

supra

m235i

supra

m235i

Yes, I would be opting for the Supra Premium 3.0 seats as they will be powered/heated like my existing ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

They will fit the Z4 as it is the same car (even the console looks the same as the Z4). So you can check realoem and see if the Z4 seat will fit your car, then you will know the Supra will fit.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:41 PM   #3
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
They will fit the Z4 as it is the same car (even the console looks the same as the Z4). So you can check realoem and see if the Z4 seat will fit your car, then you will know the Supra will fit.
Good point. Will look into that, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:49 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
The console dimensions are the same but they do not look the same. I see my G29 everyday and it don't look like the supra.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
The console dimensions are the same but they do not look the same. I see my G29 everyday and it don't look like the supra.
I only get to see a G29 when our DTE (Drive to Eat) gang gets together so my memory is flakey. I was basing that mostly on the cup holders.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:18 AM   #6
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I only get to see a G29 when our DTE (Drive to Eat) gang gets together so my memory is flakey. I was basing that mostly on the cup holders.
No worries. The cup holder is different and the supra has an extension rise on the drivers side that is not on the G29. For what it's worth, the supra seat backs do look better imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 11:43 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The chances of these bolting in without issue are near nil. BMW is not into parts bin sharing remotely as much as other brands.

The seat to body mounting points are likely to be different as the Supra/Z4 chassis is completely different from the 2 series. The power seat and airbag wiring harnesses are likely to be different as well. Even if you rewired things, I wouldn't be surprised if codes were thrown. Then you'd have to find some guru to see if you could get it coded to work which is highly unlikely.
      01-29-2022, 10:12 PM   #8
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The chances of these bolting in without issue are near nil. BMW is not into parts bin sharing remotely as much as other brands.

The seat to body mounting points are likely to be different as the Supra/Z4 chassis is completely different from the 2 series. The power seat and airbag wiring harnesses are likely to be different as well. Even if you rewired things, I wouldn't be surprised if codes were thrown. Then you'd have to find some guru to see if you could get it coded to work which is highly unlikely.
I am reading this tread and I don't understand the OP real purpose of installing different seats in a car that is so old. It seems to me like a waste of money and I agree this may be a money pit to have them work properly.

Furthermore, this is not sure they would meet the ergonomic driving position associated with the other original components. From the pictures, the Supra seats don't even have tights extenders.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:09 AM   #9
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

We already know the F generation M2 Comp or M4 seats work. He may be just looking for more styling options.

I also think the car has a Toyota badge on it for a reason and that certain things wont be sharable between models let alone generations.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 11:56 AM   #10
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the insight. Never really know until you try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
I am reading this tread and I don't understand the OP real purpose of installing different seats in a car that is so old. It seems to me like a waste of money and I agree this may be a money pit to have them work properly.

Furthermore, this is not sure they would meet the ergonomic driving position associated with the other original components. From the pictures, the Supra seats don't even have tights extenders.
You said it your self why, older car = older seats. Who doesn't want newer, more stylish and more comfortable seats?
Ergonomic driving position is relative. That is all driver based preference, which is why the seats are multi-way adjustable. Which is also why Racing seats are custom fit to the driver.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
We already know the F generation M2 Comp or M4 seats work. He may be just looking for more styling options.

I also think the car has a Toyota badge on it for a reason and that certain things wont be sharable between models let alone generations.
Exactly, more styling options. OEM plus builds are may preferred for a daily car.

True The Toyota part may change things, then again it may not. Since the car is still built using entirely BMW parts. All Toyota did was configure, tune, and engineer the way the parts went together. I highly doubt the seats interface will be difference since the Supra is still a BMW chassis/hardware/software. The whole point of the joint project was for Toyota to not spend a dime with parts.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:45 PM   #11
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The fact remains that these seats come from a very different platform. With luck and a lot of research, you may be able to get enough information ahead of time to know if the project is even remotely feasible before shelling out a large portion of the value of your car for a set of seats that may or may not fit.
For some reason, I am reminded of the Rolls-Royce kit for a VW bug that was around half a century ago.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 04:43 PM   #12
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
The fact remains that these seats come from a very different platform. With luck and a lot of research, you may be able to get enough information ahead of time to know if the project is even remotely feasible before shelling out a large portion of the value of your car for a set of seats that may or may not fit.
For some reason, I am reminded of the Rolls-Royce kit for a VW bug that was around half a century ago.
Anything is possible if you want to happen bad enough. A decade+ ago people said the LS engine wouldn't ever work or fit in a BMW chassis yet that's the go-to swap now.

M3/M4 is a different platform and we already got a guy here confirming they fit. So, you were saying about different platform?

Just merely wondering if there is any info out there, or If it'll just come down to pulling seats out of a wrecked supra and going from there. Cars wreck all the time, Supras included. You guys act like these seats are made of gold diamonds from the moon.

Lets not get into car value vs parts. This is a car forum full of enthusiasts dumping more money into their cars then they will ever be worth new. So that is a moot point to even bring up...
Appreciate 1
msendit424.00
      01-31-2022, 09:08 PM   #13
B5toE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 M235

I think there's really two questions here.

1.) Will this easily fit?

2.) Will this fit with a lot of time or $$$?

Obviously anything is 'possible' but is it worth the time/effort/cash is the real question. Have you seen anyone put Z4 seats into a 2 series, that may provide some answers..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:11 AM   #14
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
All that we are advising is that you do your homework before pulling your seats and trying to shove another set in. Look at the specs of both cars! Especially since you work for Toyota, you should be able to get detailed diagrams on the Supra and possibly find out whether the Toyota and the BMW Z share specs. Go from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #15
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B5toE92 View Post
I think there's really two questions here.

1.) Will this easily fit?

2.) Will this fit with a lot of time or $$$?

Obviously anything is 'possible' but is it worth the time/effort/cash is the real question. Have you seen anyone put Z4 seats into a 2 series, that may provide some answers..
That was my question and reason for posting this thread. To see if anything remotely close has been done.

Again, everyone's perspective of a lot of time or $$ is different based on your life and finances. Its all relative. One guy who works behind a desk 5 days a week and never turns a wrench on the weekend will be put off by a project that a guy who works behind a desk but turns a wrench on the weekends and occasional evenings after work --wouldn't even think twice about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
All that we are advising is that you do your homework before pulling your seats and trying to shove another set in. Look at the specs of both cars! Especially since you work for Toyota, you should be able to get detailed diagrams on the Supra and possibly find out whether the Toyota and the BMW Z share specs. Go from there.
Again...that is why I am posting this thread. I don't work in parts/service nor do I really know anyone that does, so getting parts info isn't that easy for me.

Though I will post what I learn here.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 09:31 AM   #16
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

You can see here https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW_2021_230iX...107285857.html

The OEM seat shares the same parts in all 2 and 4 series models. (19 models 93 variants between 2014 and 2021)

Realoem, where I found the part #, looks to show it as one assembly including the rails.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 01:19 PM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Anything is possible if you want to happen bad enough. A decade+ ago people said the LS engine wouldn't ever work or fit in a BMW chassis yet that's the go-to swap now.
I don't mean this in any negative manner, but it sounds like you do not have much experience working on late model BMWs. These cars are electronics intensive and there is FAR more system integration than Asian or domestic makes. Also, BMW is notorious for changing parts mid-cycle, further complicating parts #s and fitment, etc.

Bolting in a set of Supra seats is the easy part. It's likely just some modifications to the lower seat rails which could be done with some welding and cutting work. The main issue here is getting the air bag, seat heater, and seat controls systems in the Supra to communicate with the 2 series computers. This is where you'll need to be a guru in both electrical wiring and BMW's coding language. If the 2 series computers sense there is a problem, especially with the air bags, it will likely lock your car out of driving in the Sport modes.

Now what you could do is trick the 2 series computers into thinking these systems are operating correctly, but you're going to lose seat heating and air bag functionality.
      02-01-2022, 05:43 PM   #18
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
You can see here https://shop.bmw.ca/p/BMW_2021_230iX...107285857.html

The OEM seat shares the same parts in all 2 and 4 series models. (19 models 93 variants between 2014 and 2021)

Realoem, where I found the part #, looks to show it as one assembly including the rails.
Thanks, this is helpful.

Quote:
I don't mean this in any negative manner, but it sounds like you do not have much experience working on late model BMWs. These cars are electronics intensive and there is FAR more system integration than Asian or domestic makes. Also, BMW is notorious for changing parts mid-cycle, further complicating parts #s and fitment, etc.

Bolting in a set of Supra seats is the easy part. It's likely just some modifications to the lower seat rails which could be done with some welding and cutting work. The main issue here is getting the air bag, seat heater, and seat controls systems in the Supra to communicate with the 2 series computers. This is where you'll need to be a guru in both electrical wiring and BMW's coding language. If the 2 series computers sense there is a problem, especially with the air bags, it will likely lock your car out of driving in the Sport modes.

Now what you could do is trick the 2 series computers into thinking these systems are operating correctly, but you're going to lose seat heating and air bag functionality. Now we're talking
You are correct. I do not have much experience building late model BMW, which is why I'm here. I do on the other hand have 15+ years of mechanical experience building and modding cars. So that's why I'm not scared to take on something so out of the realm of most peoples' imaginations.

Seat airbags aren't a necessity to me, but I understand to the DME it can be. Seat heating can always be made to work, its a simple system when you break it down to the components; 1-3 level power output (potentiometer) and a ground. Not really much data communication there. May need a relay or two, no big deal.

So yea, I may need a BMW coding guru or I just may have to take the time to become one myself, and then market my services. Win-win in my book.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 11:00 PM   #19
XutvJet
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful.

You are correct. I do not have much experience building late model BMW, which is why I'm here. I do on the other hand have 15+ years of mechanical experience building and modding cars. So that's why I'm not scared to take on something so out of the realm of most peoples' imaginations.

Seat airbags aren't a necessity to me, but I understand to the DME it can be. Seat heating can always be made to work, its a simple system when you break it down to the components; 1-3 level power output (potentiometer) and a ground. Not really much data communication there. May need a relay or two, no big deal.

So yea, I may need a BMW coding guru or I just may have to take the time to become one myself, and then market my services. Win-win in my book.
If this is the case, I suggest looking over a number of the M2 forum threads where guys have installed aftermarket non-power and non-heated seats. There should be some good info on how to keep the CELs at check.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 02:04 AM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Seat heating can always be made to work, its a simple system when you break it down to the components; 1-3 level power output (potentiometer) and a ground. Not really much data communication there. May need a relay or two, no big deal.
BMW heated seats don’t use a potentiometer for control, they use PWM control and require coding in the IHK and JBE modules for configuration. You could always bypass the current controls and add a separate set of switches instead, but it isn’t straightforward to use the existing controls if the seat elements don’t match the control systems. You will also need to deal with the passenger occupancy seat sensors to avoid having all air bags disabled, as opposed to just the in-seat ones.

Functions such as mirror memory is also tied into the seat memory, if you want that to still work. The seat belt retraction pyrotechnics are also integrated into the air bag system, so will not work if the air bag system isn’t recoded to eliminate errors.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #21
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If this is the case, I suggest looking over a number of the M2 forum threads where guys have installed aftermarket non-power and non-heated seats. There should be some good info on how to keep the CELs at check.
Thank you! I will check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
BMW heated seats don’t use a potentiometer for control, they use PWM control and require coding in the IHK and JBE modules for configuration. You could always bypass the current controls and add a separate set of switches instead, but it isn’t straightforward to use the existing controls if the seat elements don’t match the control systems. You will also need to deal with the passenger occupancy seat sensors to avoid having all air bags disabled, as opposed to just the in-seat ones.

Functions such as mirror memory is also tied into the seat memory, if you want that to still work. The seat belt retraction pyrotechnics are also integrated into the air bag system, so will not work if the air bag system isn’t recoded to eliminate errors.
Great info, thanks a lot. Im sure BMW's system is more elaborate/complex, I was only speaking in terms of custom wiring my own seat heaters if I really wanted them to stay. In my climate, we really only use them 3 weeks out of the entire year.

Good to hear about the mirror memory, which makes sense since the mirror positions are tied to the driver seat setting.

All great info, thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0