THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M240i stage 1 with res delete or stage 2 with decat

01-13-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI PRE PPF

M240i stage 1 with res delete or stage 2 with decat

Evening guys,

New owner of a 67 plate M240i LCI pre PPF.

I am going for a tune in the very near future. I'm having litchfield perform the tuning but I am in 2 minds what to go for as my title says. Its either res delete and a stage 1 tune with cold start tuned out (don't want to upset the neighbours).

Or for the same price if not a little more I could get a decat down pipe and a stage 2 tune, I would however retain my stock resonators with this set up as I've heard a decatted de res exhaust and it's not to my liking.

Would I notice the difference in extra HP or prefer the sound of option 1.
Also how would the sound compare between the 2 options. Anybody have decat with stock resonators would be good to hear your input.

Cheers.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
Djman603
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Vert BSM

Wondering the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #3
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djman603 View Post
Wondering the same thing.
I went BM3 stage 1 93 octane plus gear box map and BCS mid pipe, had it all fitted last Saturday by Tom Wrigley, unbelievable transformation and Tom is a top bloke.

Still can't get over the power increase. Its unreal! I can only imagine stage 2 to be that little bit extra again.

I'm going ti get the BSC sports cat downpipe and go BM3 stage 2.

Go for either you defiantly won't be disappointed.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-21-2022, 01:15 PM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Stage 2 tune with sports cat and a single resonator delete! lol
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #5
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Stage 2 tune with sports cat and a single resonator delete! lol
I am contemplating a sports cat and stage 2 now 🤔.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-22-2022, 07:55 AM   #6
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Best sound: OE cat & dual res delete
Worst sound: 200 CPSI cat or decat & dual res delete

Stage 2 with a 200 CPSI cat gave me amazing power and throttle response, but I put the OE mid-pipe back in because I hated the sound. I miss the sound of the OE cat & dual res delete.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 07:57 AM   #7
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post

Stage 2 with a 200 CPSI cat gave me amazing power and throttle response, but I put the OE mid-pipe back in because I hated the sound. I miss the sound of the OE cat & dual res delete.
I already have this set up. Was thinking about adding a sports cat to my res delete and stage 2. Was it too unbearable? Was thinking if adding the bcs catted downpipe to match my res delete.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 10:34 AM   #8
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFiasco View Post
I already have this set up. Was thinking about adding a sports cat to my res delete and stage 2. Was it too unbearable? Was thinking if adding the bcs catted downpipe to match my res delete.
The CTS 200 CPSI DP and Dinan mid-pipe sounded terrible/obnoxious (subjective). It was so bad, I had the OE mid-pipe re-installed. That's better, but I still don't like the sound. So, now I'm going to try the AA catted DP and the Dinan mid-pipe with a single bullet resonator in it.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 10:18 AM   #9
M240i_B58
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i xDrive

Lightbulb Exhaust Options For my M240I

I have the stock exhaust tips and always wanted to upgrade to the M Sport Exhaust or anything else. Does anyone else have any considerations on this? I'm getting Stage 1 this week and will be playing with the burble settings as well as my added CAI should add some nice induction noises from the turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 11:48 AM   #10
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am contemplating a sports cat and stage 2 now 🤔.
Might as well!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 11:21 AM   #11
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Might as well!
Bought BCS sports cat and bm3 stage 2, getting fitted next weekend
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      05-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bought BCS sports cat and bm3 stage 2, getting fitted next weekend
The wait will sucks but hang in there!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2022, 06:27 AM   #13
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I just can't see there being a big difference at all between different brands of catted or non catted downpipes. Catted vs non obviously a difference. I think fine tuning the remainder of the exhaust is where the personal preferences begin... For me, the CTS catted is almost there just with the stock exhaust and it's funny because i'm contemplating the Dinan mid with the stock muffler. We'll see i guess but a lot of this is totally personal preference...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:40 PM   #14
MrFiasco
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The wait will sucks but hang in there!
The wait did suck, but my god was it worth the wait!! Car sounds amazing, and pulls so much harder in the mid to top end! Wether or not that's my imagination or the sound of the exhaust adding ti the drama or a bit of both its great!

Did some data logging tho and I'm pulling timing across the rpm range and getting knock now and again. I believe I need more octane and I've been advised to chuck 4lt of ethanol in the tank to a full tank of 99 to effectively male E10 on 99 Ron to sort this out. I might try there stage 2 E30 map also.

Too tempted to book in for the TU pump and get the stage 2+ E30 map. But as I usenit for a daily I think stage 2 is absolutely fine, just want to sort out my logs. Everything else os spot on just odd timing pull now and again. It's not as consistent as I'd like it to be.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:16 PM   #15
petrosexxual
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' BMW ///M240i 6MT EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWT View Post

Darn this has me concerned. As I have the AWE Exhaust with Performance Midpipes(Non Resonated), looking into a CG-1 Precision or AA Catted Downpipe(200 CPSI for both options). I already find bystanders find the car too loud, but in the cabin it's quite tolerable, the downpipe would add power, but more depth to the sound. Just afraid it will become significantly louder with a catted or catless downpipe. Why did you find the sound so intolerable with a downpipe + non res midpipes? The burbles or overall sound?
SOLD: 1999 BMW M3 |ESTORIL BLUE - DOVE GREY
IG: @petro.sexual
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:07 PM   #16
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrosexxual View Post
Darn this has me concerned. As I have the AWE Exhaust with Performance Midpipes(Non Resonated), looking into a CG-1 Precision or AA Catted Downpipe(200 CPSI for both options). I already find bystanders find the car too loud, but in the cabin it's quite tolerable, the downpipe would add power, but more depth to the sound. Just afraid it will become significantly louder with a catted or catless downpipe. Why did you find the sound so intolerable with a downpipe + non res midpipes? The burbles or overall sound?
The 200CPSI DP w/o resonators sounded trashy/raspy. I eventually replaced the 200CPSI DP with an AA 400CPSI and put the Dinan (non-resonated) mid-pipe back in. I'm happy with this combo.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      06-09-2022, 09:34 AM   #17
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep

I daily mine too and yeah Stage 2 is absolutely fine lol. After you sort out your log, next looks into transmission tune xHP! lol, it will make the power delivery smoother. Smoother entering and exiting corner ect ect

Quote:
The wait did suck, but my god was it worth the wait!! Car sounds amazing, and pulls so much harder in the mid to top end! Wether or not that's my imagination or the sound of the exhaust adding ti the drama or a bit of both its great!

Did some data logging tho and I'm pulling timing across the rpm range and getting knock now and again. I believe I need more octane and I've been advised to chuck 4lt of ethanol in the tank to a full tank of 99 to effectively male E10 on 99 Ron to sort this out. I might try there stage 2 E30 map also.

Too tempted to book in for the TU pump and get the stage 2+ E30 map. But as I usenit for a daily I think stage 2 is absolutely fine, just want to sort out my logs. Everything else os spot on just odd timing pull now and again. It's not as consistent as I'd like it to be.

Cheers
Appreciate 0