THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help with LED lights in M235i

01-10-2022, 11:19 PM   #1
MrOrangePants
FS 316.081
Rep
Drives: 235, 428, A4, GT/CS, & Odyssey

Help with LED lights in M235i

Need wiring help... and maybe programming?!?

I bought a set of plug & play LED bulbs for my Honda and loved them so much I bought a similar kit (with warning cancellers/capacitors) for my M235i. The BMW came factory equipped with the xenon bulbs, so the LED mfg said I have to splice the wires to run the new headlight. The problem is they do not provide instructions and say I need to consult a shop. Bleh.

Has anyone done this conversion? Maybe I can start with just getting some instruction on how to properly access the wiring harness and identifying the correct wires to splice. Should I cut and splice the wires on the LED leads or should I find a push connector? Also, I assume I need to find a wire lead before the HID ballast, but I wonder if that will impact the computer and the car needs to be programmed somehow? Finally, will this impact the automated components that steer the lights with the wheel?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

It is unlikely those LED bulbs will fit in the Xenon headlight unit. The heat sinks look too large to fit behind the headlight cover and would also cause heat problems if the cover is fitted over them and moisture problems if it isn’t fitted.

Last edited by aerobod; 01-11-2022 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:40 PM   #3
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrangePants View Post
Need wiring help... and maybe programming?!?

I bought a set of plug & play LED bulbs for my Honda and loved them so much I bought a similar kit (with warning cancellers/capacitors) for my M235i. The BMW came factory equipped with the xenon bulbs, so the LED mfg said I have to splice the wires to run the new headlight. The problem is they do not provide instructions and say I need to consult a shop. Bleh.

Has anyone done this conversion? Maybe I can start with just getting some instruction on how to properly access the wiring harness and identifying the correct wires to splice. Should I cut and splice the wires on the LED leads or should I find a push connector? Also, I assume I need to find a wire lead before the HID ballast, but I wonder if that will impact the computer and the car needs to be programmed somehow? Finally, will this impact the automated components that steer the lights with the wheel?
I had a very bad experience with this company about 4 years ago when I bought a full set of conversion for a 2014 Mini Cooper JCW Coupe for the headlights and fog lights ($400.00).

You will never have technical support because they have none. What the seller will send is a bunch of ballasts and wires that are not compatible to BMW products and for God sake, don't mess up with your wiring harness to try any attempt to install them.

I even asked for a full refund and return and the "manager" never accepted to take back his products after 3 months of back and forth emails. The product looks good in the pictures and packaging but absolutely not suitable for our cars.

Good luck to have your money back
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 1