THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum steering stutter?

12-30-2021, 06:23 PM   #1
steverw
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Exclamation steering stutter?

Hi, I’m having a weird issue with a borrowed 228i with 6k mi. When I roll over a slight bump at highway speed (and on a highway ;-)) for example a reflector or lane marker, I feel a brief series of quick pulses in the steering wheel and momentary wandering in the car’s steering. If I roll over another slight bump right away, nothing happens, but after a minute or two go by and I thump over another lane marker I get the stuttering again. I wonder if a safety system is interpreting the bump as wheel slip and modulating the brakes to compensate. The effect on car handling is much like hitting a larger bump and having the tires be unsettled briefly. But this pulsing/stuttering is something I’ve never experienced before, and the wandering steering is unsettling. FWIW, this happens on a smooth road, with no ridges or ruts that a low-profile wheel might try to follow; the feeling is similar to having the wheel taken over by tracking a rut, but there is no rut.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
If what you have is a new 228i, it may be the F44 FWD model - that drivetrain could be sensing lane-departure. Check to see if the lane-dpearture feature is set to ON in iDrive and turn it off.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #3
steverw
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundelM3 View Post
If what you have is a new 228i, it may be the F44 FWD model - that drivetrain could be sensing lane-departure. Check to see if the lane-dpearture feature is set to ON in iDrive and turn it off.
Thanks, that’s what it was. I had it turned off in my individual profile, but there is an override button on the dash that turns all the safety systems on, that had been pushed.

My 2013 F10 is in the shop for a recall, this 228i is a loaner. It’s a great car, I’m going to miss it when I return it. If I didn’t need the larger car, this would be my next ride, I like it much more than the 3 series, but can’t put my finger on why, just feels right.

Best New Year wishes to all you 2 addicts!
Appreciate 0