THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What exhaust setup are you running on your m235

01-10-2022, 12:48 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
I have always been curious about the performance aspect of these exhaust systems. Do any of them provide significant documented improvement in HP or torque?
Noise does not attract me so much, all the more so since the increase of trucks with very loud exhausts (especially at start-up) in my previously idyllic seaside neighborhood.
As for going catless, we have had numerous threads on that selfish practice, so I won't go down that road again.
I high quality catted DP will gain about 15-20whp and 25-30wtq across the entire powerband with no tuning needed whatsoever. I ran my HJS Euro 6 DP for 1.5 years and never had a CEL either.

If you're not interested in noise, all you need is a catted DP. I'm very picky about exhausts noise and drone. A catted DP with stock exhaust will be very tame.
      01-13-2022, 10:09 PM   #24
Mr. F22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
I have always been curious about the performance aspect of these exhaust systems. Do any of them provide significant documented improvement in HP or torque?
Noise does not attract me so much, all the more so since the increase of trucks with very loud exhausts (especially at start-up) in my previously idyllic seaside neighborhood.
As for going catless, we have had numerous threads on that selfish practice, so I won't go down that road again.
I high quality catted DP will gain about 15-20whp and 25-30wtq across the entire powerband with no tuning needed whatsoever. I ran my HJS Euro 6 DP for 1.5 years and never had a CEL either.

If you're not interested in noise, all you need is a catted DP. I'm very picky about exhausts noise and drone. A catted DP with stock exhaust will be very tame.
Agree with this. Had the same HJS Euro 6 high flow cat paired to an otherwise stock system and it was near OEM in sound.

Now running HJS Euro 6 cat + stock midpipe + Tuningwerk axle back and couldn't be happier. Really wakes the car up w a refined, sometimes exotic, zero drone, sound.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 06:58 PM   #25
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22leo View Post
The m235 I had before my current one,( which was sold to me by Carvana with a blown engine ) had the m performance muffler and tips, wishing I just cut it off and had a muffler shop put on a stock muffler, since that car sat in my driveway for months while Carvana resolved the issue. 2020 hindsight 😂
Ohh interesting… I just bought an M235i from Carvana. Really interesting experience. The car I have now is amazing (2016 convertible, in great shape). The first M235i I tried to buy smelled like oil in the car the first time I started it. Took it to a mechanic and it turns out not only was the valve cover gasket gone (what I’d guess was the issue, and not a huge deal), but also two wheels were bent, a suspension component was bent, the ac compressor needed replacing, and 2/3rds of the body pa els were repainted/new! I was so annoyed. Carvana customer service was always very helpful but it was a two month saga to send thre bad car back and get the new one. The car I got at first was from a “market place seller” on Carvana so maybe that made a difference. Overall there was an element of convenience to the whole experience I appreciate, and LOVE the car I ended up getting but was really annoyed with the first purchase.

A blown engine? That’s wild. One customer service rep told me she thought that Duds are slipping through the cracks more recently, which I can imagine with market the way it is, but did they sell you a car with a legit blown engine?
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      01-20-2022, 11:00 AM   #26
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolegittwoquit View Post
Quote:
The m235 I had before my current one,( which was sold to me by Carvana with a blown engine ) had the m performance muffler and tips, wishing I just cut it off and had a muffler shop put on a stock muffler, since that car sat in my driveway for months while Carvana resolved the issue. 2020 hindsight 😂
Ohh interesting… I just bought an M235i from Carvana. Really interesting experience. The car I have now is amazing (2016 convertible, in great shape). The first M235i I tried to buy smelled like oil in the car the first time I started it. Took it to a mechanic and it turns out not only was the valve cover gasket gone (what I’d guess was the issue, and not a huge deal), but also two wheels were bent, a suspension component was bent, the ac compressor needed replacing, and 2/3rds of the body pa els were repainted/new! I was so annoyed. Carvana customer service was always very helpful but it was a two month saga to send thre bad car back and get the new one. The car I got at first was from a “market place seller” on Carvana so maybe that made a difference. Overall there was an element of convenience to the whole experience I appreciate, and LOVE the car I ended up getting but was really annoyed with the first purchase.

A blown engine? That’s wild. One customer service rep told me she thought that Duds are slipping through the cracks more recently, which I can imagine with market the way it is, but did they sell you a car with a legit blown engine?
Yes it was as close to blown as you can get with the car still working. When I did the original test drive everything seemed fine and I didn't really drive it hard at all so I accepted the car. first drive after Carvana left the car threw a drive train malfunction, so I took it to bmw and after checking it over they discovered the car was still tuned from the previous owner and was making a very distinctive ticking noise (a noise I thought was the fuel injectors originally, coming from a e92 328i i had no experience with these engines so I didn't know). Long story short when bmw drained the oil it was full of metal debris. I now think the ticking noise was a collapsed lifter.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:51 PM   #27
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
I had a VRSF Catless DP, Stock mid-pipe and Active Autowerke Axle back. This isn't a valved unit but will be quieter than a muffler delete. I am currently having a Vivid Racing putting on their new Valved exhaust for our cars, I plan on posting a video of that as well but for those wanting some sound, I took some with my audio recorder of my old setup sounded like so I could compare. I have outside and inside audio for those wondering about drone.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      01-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #28
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils41 View Post
I had a VRSF Catless DP, Stock mid-pipe and Active Autowerke Axle back. This isn't a valved unit but will be quieter than a muffler delete. I am currently having a Vivid Racing putting on their new Valved exhaust for our cars, I plan on posting a video of that as well but for those wanting some sound, I took some with my audio recorder of my old setup sounded like so I could compare. I have outside and inside audio for those wondering about drone.
Awesome video, really well put together! And I love your license plate lol. What is the device you used to record the sound with? Sounds really clear.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:19 PM   #29
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Recently installed a VRSF 200 cell DP. This is the stock exhaust, VRSF DP and resonator delete. Took a few videos, have not taken it for a drive yet since this sits in the garage during winter.

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1891199
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 02:14 PM   #30
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Decided to go with a muffler delete since I love the sound and can't beat the price. Still somewhat nervous about drone but I had a muffler delete on my e92 328 and didn't mind it so we'll see. Ordered the vrsf muffler delete, curious if anyone has installed one or has a thread diy-ing the install, couldn't find anything. My only question on the install would be where to cut off the stock muffler exactly
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 06:11 PM   #31
Devils41
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 Competition Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Awesome video, really well put together! And I love your license plate lol. What is the device you used to record the sound with? Sounds really clear.
Sorry forgot to respond to this. I use a Zoom H1N recorder with a Progrip mount and a "dead cat" for wind. Thank you really appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      02-06-2022, 11:38 PM   #32
Gregoryb01
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive Convertible

I’ve heard there are great result with an inexpensive muffler delete. Has anyone done that?
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      02-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #33
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryb01 View Post
I’ve heard there are great result with an inexpensive muffler delete. Has anyone done that?
After watching tons of exhaust videos, the best option for me was the vrsf muffler delete. Will update when I receive/install it
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #34
twolegittwoquit
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Convertible

Quote:
Ohh wow…. Yeah I may need to see if that plate is available in my state!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:15 AM   #35
jkoljo
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

My car is M235i with the MPE muffler. I first got a catless DP, but didn't like the tinny sound and smell. Recently I swapped the catless DP to a Wagner 300cel, and now the setup is close to perfect in my opinion. Louder than stock, but in a good way. Sound with a sports cat is deeper than with a catless dp. Less diesel-like turbo whistle as well, which is a huge bonus to me.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      05-25-2022, 03:36 PM   #36
MBlaster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i red 8sp

Active Autowerkes axle back exhaust for about a year now and pleased with the sound level.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      05-26-2022, 05:02 PM   #37
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

MPE w/o any other modification. Just a tad louder with better soundtrack w/o being obnoxious and CEL or emission issues. Going on strong for 60k miles w/o any issues.
      05-27-2022, 08:23 PM   #38
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep

F22leo I have a VRSF 200 cell downpipe and had a resonator delete. Couple sound clips in another thread. https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1891199.

I would say that by far the biggest difference was the downpipe, that really woke it up! I was looking for something, but not too much. Luckily I have a buddy who had this same set up, but with the MPE… So I was able to hear pretty close to what it would sound like.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      05-30-2022, 10:29 AM   #39
jaximointhecut
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

If I have no intent to tune is it worth it to go the Catless DP route? I don't want to have to buy a tune just to code out the CEL light.

Other than this I've been looking at muffler and resonator deletes.
      05-30-2022, 10:49 AM   #40
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaximointhecut View Post
If I have no intent to tune is it worth it to go the Catless DP route? I don't want to have to buy a tune just to code out the CEL light.

Other than this I've been looking at muffler and resonator deletes.
I don't think it's worth it for a little bit more noise, if you're not gonna tune it for more hp. I'm in the same boat, I think the stock tune is plenty of power for street use, so I skipped the down pipe and just went with a vrsf muffler delete. For the price I don't think you can beat the sound, get lots of compliments on it. I'd say start with a muffler delete and if that's not loud enough then do resonator.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 07:41 PM   #41
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's worth it for a little bit more noise, if you're not gonna tune it for more hp. I'm in the same boat, I think the stock tune is plenty of power for street use, so I skipped the down pipe and just went with a vrsf muffler delete. For the price I don't think you can beat the sound, get lots of compliments on it. I'd say start with a muffler delete and if that's not loud enough then do resonator.
Any check engine lights and do you have emissions at all where you are at? Just curious if this would pose any issues.
Appreciate 1
F22leo244.00
      06-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #42
F22leo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwalks2 View Post
Quote:
Any check engine lights and do you have emissions at all where you are at? Just curious if this would pose any issues.
ny has pretty strict emissions regulations, one of the reasons I don't want to do a downpipe. And I've had no issues at all with the muffler delete
Appreciate 0