THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum New To the Forums! Just picked up an M235i

01-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw m235i

New To the Forums! Just picked up an M235i

Hey everyone! Figured I'd make a proper introduction thread. Just got a beautiful new-to-me 2016 M235i. Has a few tasteful mods that I would have done myself, so it saves me the time and money there. Now I can focus on the few things I'd like to add (intake, larger fmic, front lip and rear diffuser, e85 tune).

Any tips are welcome! Im in Texas if there are any other Texas locals here.

Appreciate 1
shadowfax1289.00
      01-13-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Welcome, congrats, and enjoy. My first tip....get your BMW away from a 7-11 gas pump! Choose from here:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
bcwalks2273.50
shadowfax1289.00
      01-13-2022, 03:11 PM   #3
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Welcome, congrats, and enjoy. My first tip....get your BMW away from a 7-11 gas pump! Choose from here:

This is news to me! Thanks! I originally went here for E85, before realizing that I wouldn't really see any gains from the E10/E30 mix without a proper tune for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Additionally, get it away from E85. It's only rated for E10.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 05:53 PM   #5
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Additionally, get it away from E85. It's only rated for E10.
Yes! I realized this once I got there.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:45 PM   #6
bcwalks2
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:

Great advice here! I am a Costco only gas guy!
2016 M235i Mineral Gray/Coral Red
2018 X3 M40i Alpine White/Black - SOLD
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4647.00
      01-13-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcwalks2 View Post
Great advice here! I am a Costco only gas guy!
We are as well for our three vehicles. Time has proven high quality and great value.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
bcwalks2273.50
      01-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #8
MrOrangePants
FS 316.081
Rep
Drives: 235, 428, A4, GT/CS, & Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by atek View Post
Hey everyone! Figured I'd make a proper introduction thread. Just got a beautiful new-to-me 2016 M235i. Has a few tasteful mods that I would have done myself, so it saves me the time and money there. Now I can focus on the few things I'd like to add (intake, larger fmic, front lip and rear diffuser, e85 tune).
Congrats and cheers from FL! I'm also a '16 M235i owner. The charge pipe is prone to cracking, or in my case, completely disintegrating. If you haven't already done so, I suggest upgrading the charge pipe to a quality aftermarket pipe by Burger, VSRF, or equivalent. A downpipe will yield one of the most potent hp and tq gaining mods, providing you buy yourself a tuner or custom tune. Whatever route you pursue, you won't be disappointed. This lil' German civic is agile, light (for a BMW), and equipped with a robust powerplant.

When you are ready for the e85 tune, I strongly encourage you to not pick a tuner at random. Do your research. If you are in the SE USA, I highly recommend David Shoup. Also heard great reviews from Doc Vu.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Welcome! Another 2016 M235i owner here!
I run a bm3 tune (Stage 2 Multimap), which lets me choose 91 or 93 octane. (We get a 94 here in Canada, but E85 is very limited in supply so I'll be getting the FlexFuel Kit from PTF so I can integrate my mixtures into existing tunes - that is, until I upgrade my turbo LOL).
Def do the chargepipe!

Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #10
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Welcome, that's a fine looking car you got yourself!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 12:53 PM   #11
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOrangePants View Post
Congrats and cheers from FL! I'm also a '16 M235i owner. The charge pipe is prone to cracking, or in my case, completely disintegrating. If you haven't already done so, I suggest upgrading the charge pipe to a quality aftermarket pipe by Burger, VSRF, or equivalent. A downpipe will yield one of the most potent hp and tq gaining mods, providing you buy yourself a tuner or custom tune. Whatever route you pursue, you won't be disappointed. This lil' German civic is agile, light (for a BMW), and equipped with a robust powerplant.

When you are ready for the e85 tune, I strongly encourage you to not pick a tuner at random. Do your research. If you are in the SE USA, I highly recommend David Shoup. Also heard great reviews from Doc Vu.
Nice car! and thanks!
These are all really good tips, I have been hearing about that chargepipe nightmare, definitely will order them soon. I've had the VSRF charge pipe page open in my browser alongside the CTS intake for a few days now, may go ahead and pull the trigger already.

Will definitely look into those guys for e85. There is a local shop that specializes in dme tuning, say their stage 2 tune is good for 440hp+. We shall see...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efftooto View Post
Welcome! Another 2016 M235i owner here!
I run a bm3 tune (Stage 2 Multimap), which lets me choose 91 or 93 octane. (We get a 94 here in Canada, but E85 is very limited in supply so I'll be getting the FlexFuel Kit from PTF so I can integrate my mixtures into existing tunes - that is, until I upgrade my turbo LOL).
Def do the chargepipe!

Chris
Yes! Am looking into that new kit from PTF my self!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverture View Post
Welcome, that's a fine looking car you got yourself!
Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 06:17 PM   #12
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Nice car. I love the color combo! Fellow 16 m235i owner here.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:11 AM   #13
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
@atek Welcome to the forum!

I also have an M235i Convertible 2016, from new. Obviously, everyone is different, and it's your car to do what you want with, but my advice would be to drive it for a few months and then see what strikes you as the most important mods to make, if any. I was going to do a lot of cosmetic stuff initially, but in the end opted just to retro-fit an LSD as the most important mechanical priority, and CF wing mirror tops as the only cosmetic change. Personally, I decided that the car was already plenty powerful enough to get me into trouble on public roads, and didn't need any more BHP, at least, not before I'd sorted the stock open differential. But I appreciate that lots of people want to make engine upgrades.

However, I'd agree that the charge pipe is a no-brainer. But you might want to do the LSD at the same time.

There's a thread I started on an Extended Ownership Maintenance Schedule that you might find useful.

FYI my local independent quoted $668 to install the new uprated BMW charge pipe - but obviously this is UK price and the cost seems to vary a lot. Note that BMW has released a new, uprated charge pipe. I get the impression this would be OK for a standard engine, but if you uprate it you'll need the metal version from the likes of VRSF etc. So if you ask a dealer to do it, they'll only replace with this part, as you'd expect, given they have to guarantee the work.

In the end, I've gone for the BMW Extended Warranty. But this only works if you use BMW-fitted, BMW OEM parts, like the BMW M Performance LSD and the uprated BMW Charge Pipe. If you use non-BMW parts fitted by independents, this would invalidate the cover. Up to you to decide whether this works for you or not.

Last edited by msej449; 01-18-2022 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 12:01 PM   #14
khoa@x-ph.com
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Congrats and welcome buddy!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 01:54 PM   #15
newusername
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235I Xdrive cabriolet

Welcome from Canada, new M235 Owner here too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:32 PM   #16
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:

Wow, i'm actually kind of shocked to see Arco, 76 and Sinclair on there. Good to know I don't have to avoid those stations.

To the OP, that's a beautiful car, i'm sure you're going to love it! The 2-series is such a well laid out package. I now find myself irrationally angry when I sit in Mustangs and Camaros, where i'm like "Why is the interior so small when the exterior is so big? Why can't I see out of this thing? Did the designers just suck at Tetris? what's going on here?!?"
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:24 PM   #17
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
@atek Welcome to the forum!

I also have an M235i Convertible 2016, from new. Obviously, everyone is different, and it's your car to do what you want with, but my advice would be to drive it for a few months and then see what strikes you as the most important mods to make, if any. I was going to do a lot of cosmetic stuff initially, but in the end opted just to retro-fit an LSD as the most important mechanical priority, and CF wing mirror tops as the only cosmetic change. Personally, I decided that the car was already plenty powerful enough to get me into trouble on public roads, and didn't need any more BHP, at least, not before I'd sorted the stock open differential. But I appreciate that lots of people want to make engine upgrades.

However, I'd agree that the charge pipe is a no-brainer. But you might want to do the LSD at the same time.

There's a thread I started on an Extended Ownership Maintenance Schedule that you might find useful.

FYI my local independent quoted $668 to install the new uprated BMW charge pipe - but obviously this is UK price and the cost seems to vary a lot. Note that BMW has released a new, uprated charge pipe. I get the impression this would be OK for a standard engine, but if you uprate it you'll need the metal version from the likes of VRSF etc. So if you ask a dealer to do it, they'll only replace with this part, as you'd expect, given they have to guarantee the work.

In the end, I've gone for the BMW Extended Warranty. But this only works if you use BMW-fitted, BMW OEM parts, like the BMW M Performance LSD and the uprated BMW Charge Pipe. If you use non-BMW parts fitted by independents, this would invalidate the cover. Up to you to decide whether this works for you or not.
Thanks! Yes, after driving it a lot more and having more seat time, it definitely needs an LSD, STAT! I guess BMW purposely left it out to keep it from being quicker than an M3 out of the box and of course, more money back in their pockets for the upsell.

Honestly i agree, the car is already stupid fast on the street. Though, id still like the ability to leave massive tread marks when i feel the need. haha.

Extended warranties are nice but costly, and with me being a wrench that likes to mod cars with my own tools - no need, it would just get voided anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_Driver View Post
Nice car. I love the color combo! Fellow 16 m235i owner here.
Thanks man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa@x-ph.com View Post
Congrats and welcome buddy!
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Wow, i'm actually kind of shocked to see Arco, 76 and Sinclair on there. Good to know I don't have to avoid those stations.

To the OP, that's a beautiful car, i'm sure you're going to love it! The 2-series is such a well laid out package. I now find myself irrationally angry when I sit in Mustangs and Camaros, where i'm like "Why is the interior so small when the exterior is so big? Why can't I see out of this thing? Did the designers just suck at Tetris? what's going on here?!?"
I absolutely agree on the interior. its so well laid out and sized for the vehicle. Space wise literally feels just like my old S14 240sx, perfect cabin size for a 2 door coupe!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:23 PM   #18
MattBMW235XI
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235xi

Im also a new 2016 235i Owner as well! Up in the North . Welcome! Im sure we can learn off the Vets here on the forums!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 09:43 AM   #19
atek
I like biscuits
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBMW235XI View Post
Im also a new 2016 235i Owner as well! Up in the North . Welcome! Im sure we can learn off the Vets here on the forums!
Thanks! Yes that is the goal, to learn from the vets!
Appreciate 0