THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Chassis Stabilization Warning - it’s the FEM

09-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #1
Bluesmobile
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Convertible x-drive

Chassis Stabilization Warning - it’s the FEM

I know this is an issue that has been covered before, but thought I’d share my experience since everyone seems to have a different fix. I had an intermittent Cruise Control Malfunction warning come up followed by Chassis Stabilization Warning - Drive Moderately… always one followed by the other. The dash would go dark, air conditioning stop but the radio would still work. After a few minutes the car would reset itself and everything would return to normal.

This continued for several weeks. Sometimes it would go a few days before coming back. After studying up here, I thought it might be anything from the battery, to the wheel sensors, the the steering rack. I first brought it to a small local independent shop that specializes in BMW and Mercedes. He changed the battery, cleared the errors and couldn’t get the error to show again, so we thought he fixed it. On the drive home, same errors appear, but they won’t reset I pull over, stop the car and decide to let it “rest” hoping it will reset. I lock the car and then when I go back to it, the comfort access won’t work. I use the key to get in but nothing works - car is totally dead. I call my wife thinking I’ll have to get it towed. I decide to wait some more to see if it will reset itself. After 20 minutes, it does. Like magic, it’s like everything’s totally fine. On the way home, I get a Drivetrain Malfunction warning and the car goes into limp mode and goes dead right as I’m pulling onto my street. Wait a few minutes and it resets itself.

I call the small shop and he says he’s going on vacation and this will take a lot of time to figure out. I decide to bring it to Paul Miller BMW (not where I purchased it) and they say they’ll figure it out. Long story short, it’s the FEM and it needs to be replaced. Expensive part and labor. But all is back to normal and the warnings haven’t returned. I know a lot of dealers get a bad wrap, but Paul Miller BMW in Wayne, NJ was great. While I’m sure they were more expensive than the small shop, they have multiple mechanics, techs and bays to handle several customers at once and they were really great about communicating with me throughout the process. And importantly, I have greater confidence in BMW to figure out a problem that could have had many, many different causes.
Appreciate 2
dradernh4347.50
mauip2.00
      09-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Thanks for the report and glad it's all working fine again!

I use a small shop for things like mounting tires, alignments, and doing straightforward installs of aftermarket parts like a brake kit, a CAI, a piggyback, etc. They're very good but wouldn't be able to handle the situation you had. "Take it to the dealer." would be their advice.

I think if I was experiencing your issue and wanted an independent to look at the car, I'd pick one from bimrs.org (https://www.bimrs.org/). I used two different shops listed on that site when I lived in New Hampshire and both provided excellent service. Their labor rates weren't what I'd call a bargain, but I generally prefer engaging with independents.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

What's an FEM, please?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
What's an FEM, please?
Front Electronic Module is my guess
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:32 PM   #5
mauip
Rep
Drives: M235i

chassis stabilization warning

Just discovered your post, and have also the dreaded chassis stabilization light.
Car drives normally excepting it does not allow anything but Comfort mode.
Since it has been awhile other malfunction lights have also popped up and I have the complete printout thanks to a bluetooth software that was quite efficient in pinpointing them all.

It all began with comfort access acting up and then failing so just used the key fob. It would appear that replacing the module is expensive and it still need all the cars info to be coded. Only the best Indy shops could do this.

Might I ask what the dealer charged for parts and labor? Prepared for the shock.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 05:44 PM   #6
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

I’d expect $350-400 for the part and at least
That much for installation and coding.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
I’d expect $350-400 for the part and at least
That much for installation and coding.
more like $1300

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...210038909.html
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 07:50 PM   #8
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

Don’t think that’s the FEM.
Here from the same site ($600)
https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...359438729.html
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
Don’t think that’s the FEM.
Here from the same site ($600)
https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...359438729.html
i think you are right... maybe i got the wrong link
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2021, 07:43 PM   #10
mauip
Rep

thanks, brutal on price and coding a wildcard
wish the original guy would chime in on what he paid
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:05 PM   #11
mauip
Rep

Chassis stability / ABS lights issue

Used Think Diag to read codes. Identified R rear wheel speed sensor, that seemed primary although other wheel speed sensors also showed fault. Just need male T27 torx to remove one bolt with good access once wheel is off and jar lifted.
FCP Euro had that right ATE part for less than $60

I took the opportunity to switch out my rear pads to Akebono ceramic.
The stock pads are Brembo and dust horribly but have alot of initial bite.
Started car up to move it and no idiot lights came on!!!
It takes some thinking and finesse to change the sensor due to routing and plastic cable securing points, 4 I think, and removal of some trim with 10 mm size nuts and bolts. I tend to clean things meticulously so it took extra long.

Will go on maiden drive tomorrow although I also switched it into Sport mode that was disabled allowing only Comfort when warning lights are on.

$60 solution to what might have been a very expensive problem...
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
mechatony11
Rep
Drives: toyota

I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my 2015 BMW 320, it turns out that I had a ball joint issue, I heard a rattling noise while I’m driving the other day then the error code popped up. I took it to the shop so I can replace it immediately because it affects my driving and control of the car. I did a lot of searches on this issue and came on in depth article which may be worth reading, search for " BMW chassis stabilization malfunction drive moderately on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes, you can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.
Appreciate 0