THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Emission light

01-17-2022, 02:43 PM   #1
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Emission light

Emission light came on today. Tuned the car to stage one BM last year. It has charge pipe/catted aftermarket dp/m perf exhaust.

Should I put in the obd stuff and read the code. Should I be worried it's something other than emissions?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 02:57 PM   #2
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJaw View Post
Emission light came on today. Tuned the car to stage one BM last year. It has charge pipe/catted aftermarket dp/m perf exhaust.

Should I put in the obd stuff and read the code. Should I be worried it's something other than emissions?
Is it a check engine light? If yes, I would plug in the OBD and read the code. Catted downpipe, depending on which one you got, can usually hold off a check engine light for a while but eventually will set it off. Might have to go into BM3 and find a way do disable catalytic monitors. Not sure if that is possible on Stage 1 though.
      01-17-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
Quote:

Is it a check engine light? If yes, I would plug in the OBD and read the code. Catted downpipe, depending on which one you got, can usually hold off a check engine light for a while but eventually will set it off. Might have to go into BM3 and find a way do disable catalytic monitors. Not sure if that is possible on Stage 1 though.
Yeah that's what I'm figuring. Ty!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 04:49 PM   #4
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

180001 Catalyst: Efficiency Below Threshold

This is the code that came up
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:35 AM   #5
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Tunes are remarkably hard on cats, especially aftermarket cats that are already much less "functional" (in an emissions sense) than stock. Burbles literally coat the element in gas and melt it as the gas lights off..

You have likely degraded your cat to the point where it is less functional than necessary for the vehicle to register it as properly metabolizing the exhaust. This can be because it just wore out because it's a skimpy high flow aftermarket cat, or you could have beat on it with burbles/tune, or anywhere in between.

I suggest just turning off the emissions monitors on bootmod3. If I were you I would take the cat off and visually inspect to make sure it isn't clogged- a clogged and disintegrating cat can cause particulate junk to back through the turbo/exhaust valves/cylinders causing a lot of damage. More realistically if i was ACTUALLY you I would just take the thing off and go full catless!

Have you noticed any difference in throttle response/driveability lately?
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 06:12 AM   #6
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtl32 View Post
Tunes are remarkably hard on cats, especially aftermarket cats that are already much less "functional" (in an emissions sense) than stock. Burbles literally coat the element in gas and melt it as the gas lights off..

You have likely degraded your cat to the point where it is less functional than necessary for the vehicle to register it as properly metabolizing the exhaust. This can be because it just wore out because it's a skimpy high flow aftermarket cat, or you could have beat on it with burbles/tune, or anywhere in between.

I suggest just turning off the emissions monitors on bootmod3. If I were you I would take the cat off and visually inspect to make sure it isn't clogged- a clogged and disintegrating cat can cause particulate junk to back through the turbo/exhaust valves/cylinders causing a lot of damage. More realistically if i was ACTUALLY you I would just take the thing off and go full catless!

Have you noticed any difference in throttle response/driveability lately?
Hey no difference in throttle and now the light turned off on its own. Is it possible that maybe the 5 degree weather the other day just made the sensor screwy?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #7
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Quote:
Hey no difference in throttle and now the light turned off on its own. Is it possible that maybe the 5 degree weather the other day just made the sensor screwy?
I mean anything is possible but there is usually at least a 5 degree fluctuation of temp any other day as well so..
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Do Check Engine Lights clear by themselves without erasing with a scan tool type thingy ?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:03 AM   #9
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah so guys an update the light comes on every few days stays on for about two days then goes away on its own and comes back rinse and repeat. What should I do?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 12:46 PM   #10
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Could be the 02 sensor, could be the cat.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 05:37 AM   #11
GrimJaw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
Could be the 02 sensor, could be the cat.
I'll bring it to the mechanic and have him check it out hoping it's just the sensor. If the cat is let's say blown out… what options do I have? Could I technically have them remove whatever is left of the cat? And essentially just run that pipe as Catless?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 07:48 AM   #12
pmcmtnbkr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
I'll bring it to the mechanic and have him check it out hoping it's just the sensor. If the cat is let's say blown out… what options do I have? Could I technically have them remove whatever is left of the cat? And essentially just run that pipe as Catless?
I dont know of any shop that will do that esp if you live in a state requiring emission controls for inspetion.
Appreciate 0