THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Ferodo DS2500 Review (Not A Fan, Stock Pads Better)

03-09-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
abcfgh
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Ferodo DS2500 Review (Not A Fan, Stock Pads Better)

I installed the Ferodo DS2500 pads along with new Zimmermann blank 2 piece rotors in the M235i and I'm pretty disappointed in these pads. After all the reading I had done, it seemed like they would be a decent street pad with some light tracking ability. I'd even heard that some people were experiencing some noise during street driving and it sounded like they were geared for aggressive driving, which I was looking forward to. Man, did I think wrong. I immediately noticed a reduction in bite from the stock M Sport Pads and yes I bedded them in properly. This is a 5k mile review so I've had quite some time on the new pads. At first, I thought maybe they required some extra heat to work. Nope, the bite just gets softer. In fact, with aggressive driving and triple digit braking or repeated braking in the local mountains at moderate speeds from like 45->20 or 60->30 or 70->40 stuff like that, the pads faded horribly. The pedal gets so soft and the braking force less and less that at that point I just slow down because I don't want to boil brake fluid and have the pedal go to the floor. This is aggressive driving on the street. I'm not on the track and the car has quite worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s. Car is 100% stock so accompanied by a the understeer that stock non-M BMW's have. On the flip side, I have not experienced any squeaking or any noises. It's like the pads aren't aggressive at all. I noticed they don't have the vibration isolators (chunks of metal) like the stock pads, but have not noticed any issues with vibrations, squeals, or squeaks during normal driving even at 30 Fahrenheit degree temps. Well maybe the slightest squeak when they're very hot after you've been railing on them. Anywho, I am thoroughly unimpressed with these pads and view them as a downgrade from the stock M Sport Pads. Maybe there was a formulation change? Who knows? I read something about copper being phased out of brake pads due to the EPA. I would have preferred more noise and dust in return for better braking, but sadly this was not the case.

So for anyone considering these, stick with the stock pads. sorry for the ranty review, but I'm not a fan of these pads. The stock pads are better in pretty much every way!
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      03-09-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Thanks for the review!

I think I'll go with EBC Yellow whenever my OEM pads wear out.
      03-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
abcfgh
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Thanks for the review!

To be fair, I've tried EBC Yellow Stuff pads on my Hyundai Sonata. While they were a massive improvement over the stock pads, I think they're probably quite similar to the Ferodo DS2500. It's really just a street pad that can maybe handle some minimal track duty if you're in a light car like a Miata haha.

I'm wondering how the phaseout of copper in brake pads is affecting all brake pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcfgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Thanks for the review!

To be fair, I've tried EBC Yellow Stuff pads on my Hyundai Sonata. While they were a massive improvement over the stock pads, I think they're probably quite similar to the Ferodo DS2500. It's really just a street pad that can maybe handle some minimal track duty if you're in a light car like a Miata haha.

I'm wondering how the phaseout of copper in brake pads is affecting all brake pads.
You think the EBC Yellow would also have a reduction in bite compared to the OE pads?
      03-09-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I installed the Ferodo DS2500 pads along with new Zimmermann blank 2 piece rotors in the M235i and I'm pretty disappointed in these pads. After all the reading I had done, it seemed like they would be a decent street pad with some light tracking ability. I'd even heard that some people were experiencing some noise during street driving and it sounded like they were geared for aggressive driving, which I was looking forward to. Man, did I think wrong. I immediately noticed a reduction in bite from the stock M Sport Pads and yes I bedded them in properly. This is a 5k mile review so I've had quite some time on the new pads. At first, I thought maybe they required some extra heat to work. Nope, the bite just gets softer. In fact, with aggressive driving and triple digit braking or repeated braking in the local mountains at moderate speeds from like 45->20 or 60->30 or 70->40 stuff like that, the pads faded horribly. The pedal gets so soft and the braking force less and less that at that point I just slow down because I don't want to boil brake fluid and have the pedal go to the floor. This is aggressive driving on the street. I'm not on the track and the car has quite worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s. Car is 100% stock so accompanied by a the understeer that stock non-M BMW's have. On the flip side, I have not experienced any squeaking or any noises. It's like the pads aren't aggressive at all. I noticed they don't have the vibration isolators (chunks of metal) like the stock pads, but have not noticed any issues with vibrations, squeals, or squeaks during normal driving even at 30 Fahrenheit degree temps. Well maybe the slightest squeak when they're very hot after you've been railing on them. Anywho, I am thoroughly unimpressed with these pads and view them as a downgrade from the stock M Sport Pads. Maybe there was a formulation change? Who knows? I read something about copper being phased out of brake pads due to the EPA. I would have preferred more noise and dust in return for better braking, but sadly this was not the case.

So for anyone considering these, stick with the stock pads. sorry for the ranty review, but I'm not a fan of these pads. The stock pads are better in pretty much every way!
No worries, you're not ranting. In fact, you're offering useful information.

As far as "triple digit braking or repeated braking in the local mountains [even at] at moderate speeds", the DS2500 won't necessarily stand up to that. This post shows the manufacturer's data for the DS2500 and other pads: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=215.

We have heavy, powerful cars. My opinion is that if an owner is going to lean on his car on the street he should consider, at a minimum, a moderately capable race pad. That will entail living with the accompanying noise and significantly increased amounts of brake dust that will need to be removed regularly if he wants to maintain the finish of his wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Sucks you didn't like, I was always under impression they had less bite then OEM, but could take a bit more temp before hard fade.

I used OEM on a light track day, they were done in 20 minutes...rested and got another 20 minutes out of...I'm learning to switch out...hell hard mtn roads OEM end quick..

Its either loud, dusty and good, or quiet, clean and OK it seems.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #7
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

I actually preferred the DS2500 over stock because they have less initial bite. I find the stock pads to be annoyingly twitchy/grabby at low street speeds. It's much easier to modulate the DS2500 for smooth stops, and to ease into them at higher speeds.

As for the fading, is your brake fluid fresh? Although not track pads, I found the DS2500 to have great performance when hot. Definitely less fade than the stock pads.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 08:27 PM   #8
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
I actually preferred the DS2500 over stock because they have less initial bite. I find the stock pads to be annoyingly twitchy/grabby at low street speeds. It's much easier to modulate the DS2500 for smooth stops, and to ease into them at higher speeds.

As for the fading, is your brake fluid fresh? Although not track pads, I found the DS2500 to have great performance when hot. Definitely less fade than the stock pads.
I agree with this also. Have found them to be much smoother and have less fade. They can be a little squeaky when cold though.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #9
kriszty
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: B58 M240ix pureturbo800 dorch1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11937 View Post
I agree with this also. Have found them to be much smoother and have less fade. They can be a little squeaky when cold though.
have them too, much better then stock pads
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
abcfgh
Private
Rep

The DS2500 pads that got installed are definitely waayyy more fade prone than the stock pads that got replaced. With all the good things people have said, it makes me wonder if there's been a pad compound change like I mentioned about the copper....

Link below for general info:
https://www.epa.gov/npdes/copper-free-brake-initiative
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 09:17 PM   #11
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszty View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD11937 View Post
have them too, much better then stock pads
There's no comparison.

I have had stock pads and EBC Yellows on track. Both were absolutely horrible in comparison to the DS2500.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |
Past: E36 328is & E38 740i
Appreciate 1
kriszty328.50
      05-18-2021, 04:50 AM   #12
yaboibooch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Datsun 240z, 2019 M240i

This thread is great. Not totally convinced to buy the 2500 pad now. What do people recommend for dual duty? Pagids? I hit the track 10-15 times per year depending on how much money I can spare on tires.

Last edited by yaboibooch; 05-18-2021 at 05:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboibooch View Post
This thread is great. Not totally convinced to buy the 2500 pad now. What do people recommend for dual duty? Pagids? I hit the track 10-15 times per year depending on how much money I can spare on tires.
When I was still tracking mine, I ran Hawk DTC-70s front and rear. They're noisy on the street (you can drive so as to eliminate most of it), they dust like crazy, and they slow the car extremely well.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 07:51 AM   #14
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When I was still tracking mine, I ran Hawk DTC-70s front and rear. They're noisy on the street (you can drive so as to eliminate most of it), they dust like crazy, and they slow the car extremely well. They'll be too much pad for anything less than an Extreme Performance Summer tire, though.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #15
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
When I was still tracking mine, I ran Hawk DTC-70s front and rear. They're noisy on the street (you can drive so as to eliminate most of it), they dust like crazy, and they slow the car extremely well. They'll be too much pad for anything less than an Extreme Performance Summer tire, though.
That's the crux here that a lot of people looked over.

OP is running "quite worn Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+'s"... That tire, mildly worn, is not going to hold braking forces beyond that of the stock pads.

Don't bother with performance pads unless you have or are ready to buy, at a minimum, top end street rubber similar to the PS4S.
328i RWD | MW on CRed Slick Top | 6MT | BM3 | MPE | GPlus FMIC | CSF Radiator | Millway Street Camber Plates & Monoballs | KW V2 6k/18k Swift Springs | F80 LCA/TS | SPL Bump Steer Kit | APEX SM-10 | R-S4 | DS2500 | RBF600 | SS Lines |

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 05-18-2021 at 10:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:51 AM   #16
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Agree with Dradernh's thoughts here. You definitely should skip any dual purpose pad if you are going to put that many days in a year. DTC-70s are a very popular and effective choice, as are the PAGID RSL29s.

To do 10-15 days a year on a 200tw tire you really only have one choice if you do not want to buy two sets, the Hankook RS4. The other tires in the category will get you 8-10 days depending on your alignment and street miles, if any.

Last edited by MacklinUSOB; 05-18-2021 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #17
yaboibooch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Agree with Dradernh's thoughts here. You definitely should skip any dual purpose pad if you are going to put that many days in a year. DTC-70s are a very popular and effective choice, as are the PAGID RSL29s.

To do 10-15 days a year on a 200tw tire you really only have one choice if you do not want to buy two sets, the Hankook RS4. The other tires in the category will get you 8-10 days depending on your alignment and street miles, if any.
I've looked into the DTC-70s and the DTC-60s. Thanks for the insight Dradernh.

I'm using Nankang's CR1 200TWs (255/35R18 square). I'm hoping only having to purchase another two sets by the end of the year. So far they're my favorite 200TW tire. Friends who have ran RS4s on their miatas have complained about the tire becoming greasy after only a few hotlaps.

I don't think its entirely unreasonable to be looking for dual duty pads. I run race pads on my racecar and street pads on the grocery getter. The BMW is definitely an 8/10ths car for my uses at the track or in the mountains.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 09:44 PM   #18
MacklinUSOB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I've looked into the DTC-70s and the DTC-60s. Thanks for the insight Dradernh.

I'm using Nankang's CR1 200TWs (255/35R18 square). I'm hoping only having to purchase another two sets by the end of the year. So far they're my favorite 200TW tire. Friends who have ran RS4s on their miatas have complained about the tire becoming greasy after only a few hotlaps.

I don't think its entirely unreasonable to be looking for dual duty pads. I run race pads on my racecar and street pads on the grocery getter. The BMW is definitely an 8/10ths car for my uses at the track or in the mountains.
That has not my experience with the RS4s, nor that of my friends with Miatas and 86s. It's a very popular choice in enduro because of the low running cost and consistency, hence my suggestion. I have heard good things about the Nankangs, glad they're working out.

That use case definitely lends itself better to a dual purpose pad. I would not suggest any of EBCs hybrid offerings, Hawk HP+ we're effective but obnoxiously loud, D2500's are about as far as that compromise gets you I have found. Running cost is also substantially less if you leverage FCP Euro's LRG.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 10:33 PM   #19
yaboibooch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That has not my experience with the RS4s, nor that of my friends with Miatas and 86s. It's a very popular choice in enduro because of the low running cost and consistency, hence my suggestion. I have heard good things about the Nankangs, glad they're working out.

That use case definitely lends itself better to a dual purpose pad. I would not suggest any of EBCs hybrid offerings, Hawk HP+ we're effective but obnoxiously loud, D2500's are about as far as that compromise gets you I have found. Running cost is also substantially less if you leverage FCP Euro's LRG.
Interesting you and your people had positive experiences with the RS4. The problem could be due to my friend's alignment or shaving.

Agreed on EBC, absolutely trash tier pads. None of my friends liked them for on track or autox.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #20
khcoaching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE

I have the DS2500 at all 4 corners with SRF fluid and have had zero issues with stopping ability, fade or noise. Are they DS 1.11s.....no, but are they a solid pad that wears well, for me they sure are. (And yes, I have put sufficient time and force in them to know if they would be sh.t or not)

Ken
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 09:25 AM   #21
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:

Why don't you try the stock F80/82 M3/M4 brake pads? They'll feel better and take a bit more heat than the M Sport pads. If installed correctly, there are pretty quiet for daily driving as well. The only downside is the dust they produce.
Appreciate 1