THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning fast N26??

08-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #45
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
If the stock base HP rating is actually accurate then the 240hp rating and the 228-230hp my car achieved equates to a parasitic driveline loss of just about 9.5%. I don't think, as good as the ZFs are, they are THAT efficient...which is why we all say the 240hp is underrated........
Wait.. So you're saying you measured your car's power on this same dyno that measured 240hp, and got 228-230 whp?

Again, you can't compare numbers from different dynos.. and most times not even the same dyno, unless other conditions such as the weather are the same.

Based on some posts I've read, BMW does follow a DIN standard for measuring power. And unless DIN allows for a company to under/over rate their power by some large margin of error, I highly doubt this European dyno used was much off.
      08-23-2017, 06:48 PM   #46
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
Wait.. So you're saying you measured your car's power on this same dyno that measured 240hp, and got 228-230 whp?

Again, you can't compare numbers from different dynos.. and most times not even the same dyno, unless other conditions such as the weather are the same.

Based on some posts I've read, BMW does follow a DIN standard for measuring power. And unless DIN allows for a company to under/over rate their power by some large margin of error, I highly doubt this European dyno used was much off.

Not sure of the confusion here. The factory rates the engine at the crank at 240hp. When I dyno'd my car, its output (bone stock in 100 degree heat) was 228-230 in 3 baseline runs. Are you/we to believe that the cars are so efficient that the drive train parasitic loss is only 9.5%? I truly do not think so........
Pillz1737.50
      08-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #47
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:
Not sure of the confusion here. The factory rates the engine at the crank at 240hp. When I dyno'd my car, its output (bone stock in 100 degree heat) was 228-230 in 3 baseline runs. Are you/we to believe that the cars are so efficient that the drive train parasitic loss is only 9.5%? I truly do not think so........
Think again... They dynoed on their dyno setup (whatever brand/model) their way based on DIN testing. You dynoed on a different dyno, probably a different brand, under different conditions. You might not even know what testing procedure you or they used.

You can't compare your numbers against their numbers... unless you used the same model dyno, under the same conditions, using the same testing method.

For example... I was watching a Dinan video about how they test. In the background, they had a car on a dyno. This dyno didn't use rollers. The rear wheels were taken off and dyno was bolted to the axle hubs. Was your dyno runs done this way, or was it on rollers?

No matter how much you want to believe your numbers, those numbers can be higher or lower depending on the dyno brand/model, conditions, and testing procedures. So unless you're sure you numbers were gotten the same way BMW got their power numbers, your numbers can't be used for comparison against theirs.
      12-29-2017, 03:46 AM   #48
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

My mods,
Downpipe, CP, FMIC, Intake, Dv+, stage 2 lpfp, NGK laser iridium .018 gap. Bootmod3 40% ethanol tune.
Going big turbo and upgraded rods and pistons in a few months. Pulling the trigger on the cp Carrillo set.

You can make a lot of power from these things if tuned right and close monitoring of temps and afr.

After the internals big turbo and meth injection with different fuel system and injectors because I don't think our injectors can handle anything over 400wheel. I should be close to 500wheel
      01-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #49
Bimmer567
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
That's the idea. Yours being a 2016, you shoud be okay.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #50
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i xdrive

Hey guys I just wanted to drop off my YouTube upload I would appreciate feed back thanks
Watch "I'm back and let's go for a ride" on YouTube

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #51
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I would say move the camera to the passenger side windshield instead of the passenger side door window. A secondary camera would be good too. Our friends at TheSmokingTire aren't going away. Matt is just moving around to a whole lot more as far as what he does. Where did you get that idea?
Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      02-02-2018, 07:35 PM   #52
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I would say move the camera to the passenger side windshield instead of the passenger side door window. A secondary camera would be good too. Our friends at TheSmokingTire aren't going away. Matt is just moving around to a whole lot more as far as what he does. Where did you get that idea?
Quote:

thanks for the fees back also where should I set up the 2nd camera
also the info on the smoking tire I got from this clip here
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 07:46 PM   #53
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

parts

Ok guys I need your help once again
So I have found myself with a little extra cash and I came up with parts list I need into on the quality of the parts (are they worth it ) also a good reputable dealer to source the parts from

Parts list

Dinan plug and play ($300*)

Dinan intercooler

Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe for N26 Engine

Injen Intake System
ACTIVE AUTOWERKE BMW 228 SIGNATURE EXHAUST
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 08:03 PM   #54
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillz17 View Post
Ok guys I need your help once again
So I have found myself with a little extra cash and I came up with parts list I need into on the quality of the parts (are they worth it ) also a good reputable dealer to source the parts from

Parts list

Dinan plug and play ($300*)

Dinan intercooler

Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe for N26 Engine

Injen Intake System
ACTIVE AUTOWERKE BMW 228 SIGNATURE EXHAUST
You would be better off with a full Dinan S1 tune instead of the plug-and-play. I don't see the point of getting an intercooler, especially as you will need a tune for that anyway. Also, do you really want to delete the cat on your N26, which is a SULEV engine? In any emissions-control state, you'd have a hard time finding a reputable tuner to do it, it will wreck your warranty and if you are not in an emissions-control state, why buy a 228i with the N26 rather than the N20?

As others have commented, camera placement in your video needs a lot of work and you have to try and avoid verbal placeholders like "you know".

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit

Last edited by BarryJI; 02-03-2018 at 12:40 AM..
Appreciate 1
Pillz1737.50
      02-03-2018, 05:54 AM   #55
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
You would be better off with a full Dinan S1 tune instead of the plug-and-play. I don't see the point of getting an intercooler, especially as you will need a tune for that anyway. Also, do you really want to delete the cat on your N26, which is a SULEV engine? In any emissions-control state, you'd have a hard time finding a reputable tuner to do it, it will wreck your warranty and if you are not in an emissions-control state, why buy a 228i with the N26 rather than the N20?

As others have commented, camera placement in your video needs a lot of work and you have to try and avoid verbal placeholders like "you know".
Only the 2016 year had the n26 engine I didn't know this until after the fact. When I ordered my car I thought it was with the n20 also I'm on the raod alot and I don't want to get heat soak that's why I am looking at the intercooler lastly I can't do the stage1 tune with the n26 engine also my warranty is almost up Tesco drive that much I'm looking to give the car a around pow it is my dd after all
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #56
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Only the 2016 year had the n26 engine I didn't know this until after the fact. When I ordered my car I thought it was with the n20 also I'm on the raod alot and I don't want to get heat soak that's why I am looking at the intercooler lastly I can't do the stage1 tune with the n26 engine also my warranty is almost up Tesco drive that much I'm looking to give the car a around pow it is my dd after all
You can do the Dinan S1 Tune with the N26. I did; it's available for both N20 and N26. You can't expect to get any benefit from an intercooler without tuning for it so you would just be throwing your money away. I think you need to talk to a reputable professional tuning shop and do your homework, especially before giving people advice on YouTube, or you will ruin your car.

DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #57
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can do the Dinan S1 Tune with the N26. I did; it's available for both N20 and N26. You can't expect to get any benefit from an intercooler without tuning for it so you would just be throwing your money away. I think you need to talk to a reputable professional tuning shop and do your homework, especially before giving people advice on YouTube, or you will ruin your car.
Egg on my face I was thinking you were talking about the power packagesy my bad. Also I have stopped by a shop and they were trying to throw everything plus the kitchen sink and I knew this didn't sound right that's why I came here I am in talks with another shop but they are slow on getting back to me I'm just making sure I don't get taking go town on bs I don't need or have things done wrong
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #58
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Egg on my face I was thinking you were talking about the power packagesy my bad. Also I have stopped by a shop and they were trying to throw everything plus the kitchen sink and I knew this didn't sound right that's why I came here I am in talks with another shop but they are slow on getting back to me I'm just making sure I don't get taking go town on bs I don't need or have things done wrong
Fair enough. If I were you I would get on Yelp and find the most reputable Dinan-licensed BMW tuner shop in your vicinity. I do not recommend using dealer service shops with Dinan licenses. Think about doing only the S1 or the plug-and-play for the moment. See how that drives. Do things one at a time. If you want to replace the stock exhaust, get catback pipes, not a downpipe, which is too aggressive for all but the truly hardcore, especially on a pretty new car. Don't get the intercooler. Over-aggressive mods on an N26 SULEV engine make no sense.

Appreciate 1
SFV8187.50
      02-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #59
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Fair enough. If I were you I would get on Yelp and find the most reputable Dinan-licensed BMW tuner shop in your vicinity. I do not recommend using dealer service shops with Dinan licenses. Think about doing only the S1 or the plug-and-play for the moment. See how that drives. Do things one at a time. If you want to replace the stock exhaust, get catback pipes, not a downpipe, which is too aggressive for all but the truly hardcore, especially on a pretty new car. Don't get the intercooler. Over-aggressive mods on an N26 SULEV engine make no sense.
Thanks this is what I was looking for
But yeah there are mostly dealers selling Dinan but I'll keep looking
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 09:01 PM   #60
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

@Pillz17 if you go to the Dinan website you can find authorized installers and dealers straight from the source with their contact information as well.
Appreciate 1
BarryJI423.50
      02-08-2018, 07:47 PM   #61
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@Pillz17 if you go to the Dinan website you can find authorized installers and dealers straight from the source with their contact information as well.
Thanks I actually just did that the other day but still waiting fora response from the near by shops
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #62
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
FYI, I have a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible with the N26 SULEV engine. My wife and I have driven this car on long trips (300+ miles) including up and down mountainous terrain (~5000+ ft.) with no "heat soak" issues. A larger intercooler for this engine would be a waste of money, as it won't buy you anything unless you're going to do a lot of track days, and even then it would be of marginal help.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #63
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
FYI, I have a 2016 228i M-Sport convertible with the N26 SULEV engine. My wife and I have driven this car on long trips (300+ miles) including up and down mountainous terrain (~5000+ ft.) with no "heat soak" issues. A larger intercooler for this engine would be a waste of money, as it won't buy you anything unless you're going to do a lot of track days, and even then it would be of marginal help.
Yes, this recommendation smacks of opportunism on the part of a less than totally honourable tuner/mechanic/service advisor. I've pushed my tuned 228 hard, but always respectfully, on some long road trips and "heat soak" could not have been more of a non-issue. Dinan's S3 for the N20 involves an intercooler paired with a big turbo and, of course, a custom-made tune but that, as you (and Dinan themselves, to their credit) point out, only really makes sense as a race tune. If Dinan offered a S2 tune (which I think usually involves an aftermarket CAI) for the N26 I'd install that in my DD but there's no hope for any such thing being developed for this SULEV power unit.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:27 AM   #64
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Yes, this recommendation smacks of opportunism on the part of a less than totally honourable tuner/mechanic/service advisor. I've pushed my tuned 228 hard, but always respectfully, on some long road trips and "heat soak" could not have been more of a non-issue. Dinan's S3 for the N20 involves an intercooler paired with a big turbo and, of course, a custom-made tune but that, as you (and Dinan themselves, to their credit) point out, only really makes sense as a race tune. If Dinan offered a S2 tune (which I think usually involves an aftermarket CAI) for the N26 I'd install that in my DD but there's no hope for any such thing being developed for this SULEV power unit.
The FMIC provided with N20/N26 engines is larger and more efficient than the stock FMIC I had in my 2007 N54-engined E92 3-series. I had to install a larger one to get the Dinan S3 tune flashed, along with a bigger oil cooler which was about the size of the stock cooler in my 228. Seeing as how those components supported a 400+ hp twin-turbo N54, I can't even imagine why a bigger FMIC would do anything for an N26 with just a mild bump in boost on a stock turbo.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #65
Pillz17
Private
United_States
Rep

OK so I've reached out to a few different shops and no response so I said fuck it I'll do it myself lol.
So if I'm looking to add a evolution racewerks Competition Series 4" Catless Downpipe to my N26 Engine and a plug and play dinan ( the $300 one) but now I'm thinking should I look at a different tuning kit and which ones should I be looking at??? I am think the stage 1 dinan plug and play but IDK and it'd $$$
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #66
Radracer228
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Dinan Stage 1 for N26 is legit
Appreciate 2
BarryJI423.50
SFV8187.50