THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum BMW financial payment question

04-22-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
illmatic37
Rep
Drives: m235i, 330ci, 635csi

BMW financial payment question

I always pay more than the monthly amount but the extra I pay doesn't get applied towards the principal. it sits a credit towards the next months payment.
Just recently noticed it as I had auto payments set up. Does anyone know if there's some special procedure that needs to be done so the over payment gets applied to the principal?
Appreciate 1
bobkat09151.50
      04-23-2021, 05:48 AM   #2
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

It is getting applied to your principal. The bank makes more money if you go full term on your loan, so they show credit toward future payments in the hopes you'll take advantage of that. Just keep paying the amount you want to pay each month and ignore what they are putting on your statement. By the way...I avoid automatic payments for this very reason. I like to be in control.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
In many cases, you get a lower rate with auto payments on all sorts of things: loans, insurance, credit cards. The difference may be small but it adds up over the long term. Auto payment also ensures that you will not forget and miss a payment, which may incur a penalty as well as affecting your credit scores. Also, you are usually free to make additional payments towards the principal.
Overall, there is not much of a downside to autopayment and lots of advantages.
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic37 View Post
I always pay more than the monthly amount but the extra I pay doesn't get applied towards the principal. it sits a credit towards the next months payment.
Just recently noticed it as I had auto payments set up. Does anyone know if there's some special procedure that needs to be done so the over payment gets applied to the principal?
If you go to the payment detail page, bottom most there is a summary of how much of your payment goes to principal and how much of it goes to interest.

The extra does goes towards your principal and you do NOT need to do any extra special procedure.

Last edited by Ajowhan; 04-23-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2021, 12:25 PM   #5
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post

The extra does goes towards your principal and you do need to do any extra special procedure.
I am interested in doing this. Do you mean that you do NOT need to do any extra special procedure?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 12:38 PM   #6
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
I am interested in doing this. Do you mean that you do NOT need to do any extra special procedure?
My bad, yes I mean you do NOT need to do anything else other than submitting payment
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 05:06 PM   #7
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
My bad, yes I mean you do NOT need to do anything else other than submitting payment
Got it, thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 08:20 PM   #8
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
In many cases, you get a lower rate with auto payments on all sorts of things: loans, insurance, credit cards. The difference may be small but it adds up over the long term. Auto payment also ensures that you will not forget and miss a payment, which may incur a penalty as well as affecting your credit scores. Also, you are usually free to make additional payments towards the principal.
Overall, there is not much of a downside to autopayment and lots of advantages.
A lot of people feel like you do but auto payments are not for me. I'll pay the extra quarter point to keep control. And I never forget a payment.
Appreciate 0