THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Settled on an M240i, Looking for Advice

04-21-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
nuk3s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i (Fall 2021)

Settled on an M240i, Looking for Advice

Hi Everyone,

TL;DR I compared a bunch of cars and like the M240i best and now I need some buying advice.

Long format version:

For the past year I have been looking for a fun car and have been slowly researching anything that would fit my needs. This is going to sound odd, but I ended up narrowing it down to a Tesla Model 3 Performance, MB C43, and a BMW M240i. I started my comparison with the Tesla. I rented a Model 3 Performance for a weekend and took it out into the country. The acceleration was great, but it really is a 1-trick pony. The interior is incredibly cheap and really not that well designed, the exterior styling from any view but the side is crap, and if you supercharge it's the equivalent of $9 a gallon. It was fun but really not worth the money.

Next up was the C43...kind of. I was having my truck worked on this past weekend and the dealership had a 25k miles C63s that they had just taken in on trade, so I decided to take it on a test drive. As the "ultimate" AMG in the C-class I was expecting perfection but this really turned into a "don't meet your hero" kind of moment. The power delivery was incredibly crude, like 1980's bad turbo crude. The transmission was a complete gamble as far as what it was going to do, even in "manual" mode. The steering was more numb than my truck's. The NVH was insane, like go-kart levels of bad. Lastly the interior was cramped and gaudy in person. Its like the whole car was meant to be a an exercise in bravado but never stitched it all together into a competent package. So if the C63s was out so was the C43.

After the disappointing C63s test drive I decided to see if there was any M240i's in the area and found one about an hour away. A Gray 2018 RWD Automatic with 54k miles. I called up the dealership and set out. The test drive was perfect. The car was infinitely more nimble than both the C63s and the Tesla, was far more composed in its power delivery, had an impeccable transmission, and a well put together interior. The steering feel was also by far the best out of the 3. I loved the car, but with 54k miles, and a few too many blemishes it is not in a condition that I would be comfortable buying it. I am looking for a better example and preferably one that is CPO.

The sales manager at the BMW dealership offered to try and source one that is coming off-lease that can be certified. From what I understand BMW takes them off-lease and "grades" them before putting them up for auction to the BMW dealerships who then bid on them. I took him up on his offer and he is apparently checking the daily BMW auctions to see if he can make something work. He did warn me that it would probably take a month.

So my question to the forum is where else should I be looking for a used/CPO M240i and is there anything I should look out for when buying these cars used. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Not really anything to look out for, but it's worth having it inspected by a third party for unusual wear and tear or damage.

The B58 has growing complaints of valve cover failures and Vanos actuators. I've had to replace both on my M240i. It's a very new engine, so there's not a ton of info on this yet. Otherwise, it seems solid… so far.

I wouldn't want an M240i without Harmon Kardon or without Navigation & CarPlay. However, those are all personal preference. The base audio sucks and the base non-nav screen is tiny.

In the US, the car only comes with all the performance stuff standard. No suspension or brake options really.
      04-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

There are a few new '21 M240i sitting on dealer lots around the country. Most are automatics, I've seen only one 6 speed. Carvana has several listed.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuk3s View Post
So my question to the forum is where else should I be looking for a used/CPO M240i

The sales manager at the BMW dealership offered to try and source one that is coming off-lease that can be certified.
https://www.bmwusa.com/certified-pre...es&Model=M240i

Mind you, that list includes AWDs and convertibles.

FWIW, I wouldn't rely upon your dealer finding you what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #5
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Fantastic choice!

I too drove an AMG car and was terribly disappointed. I think the example I drove was maybe a roach, but I agree with every one of your impressions. I was incredibly diappointed. I had planned to drive it home...but...

The same day I went and drove the M240ix I have now. I love mine for all the same reasons you liked your test drive. Incredible car.

dradernh speaks the truth. You would probably be better searching on your own or contacting a broker. Be prepared to be somewhat flex on the build you are looking for. With that said, the 2018's should be coming off leasenow or soon. That is the first year of the LCI. You should be able to find a CPO no problem. I frankly don't recommend buying from any dealer other than a BMW. I also choose Private party over dealers. As long as the owner is willing to have a PPI. Always get a PPI.

BrettKA7 summed up the few big issues the B58 has seen. Although, this motor is in many many BWM models, and as proven to be reliable so far. No issues so far for me. I am stock for now.

Are you willing to ship? Or buy out of state?

If so, your options will open up. Also, keep an eye out on the member for sale section. This forum tends to have well kept examples when listed here. Its a unique group.

Good luck with your search! Looking forward to seeing what you end up with...

josh
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
nuk3s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thanks everyone! I'm very thankful for the quick responses. I'll try to respond to each individually:

BrettKA7: I would agree on the screen size. Having the Premium package that includes NAV and the bigger screen is a must. I really don't listen to music in my cars so the HK isn't on my radar but thanks for the heads up about the base sound quality.

raddoc: The new M240i lot on Autotrader seems to be pretty small and Carvana is out at the moment. What kind of prices have you seen the new models going for?

dradernh: Thanks, the BMW site is going into my rotation of places to check.

spidy512: That's so interesting that we had similar experiences with the AMG! I'm glad I'm not crazy. Its good to know that the 2018s are coming off lease now, hopefully I can snag one in the next month that meets my spec. With airfare being so low right now I'm totally willing to fly out somewhere and drive the car back if I can get the time off of work. I have a WTB thread in the sale section, I would agree with your statement about the quality of the cars in the sales section. They all seem very well taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I'm very thankful for the quick responses. I'll try to respond to each individually:

BrettKA7: I would agree on the screen size. Having the Premium package that includes NAV and the bigger screen is a must. I really don't listen to music in my cars so the HK isn't on my radar but thanks for the heads up about the base sound quality.

raddoc: The new M240i lot on Autotrader seems to be pretty small and Carvana is out at the moment. What kind of prices have you seen the new models going for?

spidy512: That's so interesting that we had similar experiences with the AMG! I'm glad I'm not crazy. Its good to know that the 2018s are coming off lease now, hopefully I can snag one in the next month that meets my spec. With airfare being so low right now I'm totally willing to fly out somewhere and drive the car back if I can get the time off of work. I have a WTB thread in the sale section, I would agree with your statement about the quality of the cars in the sales section. They all seem very well taken care of.
This is interesting to read what you concluded about the C63/C43. What year was it? To build an interesting one nowadays is over $70K while an M240i was below $60k fully loaded until end of production.

As for the Tesla, every time I see one, I cannot go over the horrible design and the interior looks so crude and uninspired.

My recommendation is find the last generation M240i because of the few esthetic improvements. The dashboard revision looks nicer and the front end is also better. Otherwise its a winner and you will not be dissapointed. Also, find something below 20K miles to still have some warranty coverage.
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 10:24 PM   #8
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickies View Post
Quote:

This is interesting to read what you concluded about the C63/C43. What year was it? To build an interesting one nowadays is over $70K while an M240i was below $60k fully loaded until end of production.

As for the Tesla, every time I see one, I cannot go over the horrible design and the interior looks so crude and uninspired.

My recommendation is find the last generation M240i because of the few esthetic improvements. The dashboard revision looks nicer and the front end is also better. Otherwise its a winner and you will not be dissapointed. Also, find something below 20K miles to still have some warranty coverage.
The front end is the same on all years of M240i. Wheels are different though.
      04-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #9
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Thats what I thought, the 2018 and above have the LCI refresh and to me the biggest upgrade is the taillight. Day and night difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:26 PM   #10
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Be careful to get the new generation of the nav if you want that. The older one will no longer be supported after the end of the year.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #11
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Thats what I thought, the 2018 and above have the LCI refresh and to me the biggest upgrade is the taillight. Day and night difference.
The tail lights make absolutely no difference for me, but the LCI gauges are a very, very tempting upgrade. Just wish they weren't so delicate.
      04-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #12
nuk3s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Nickies: The C63s was a 2018. I was never comparing the AMG line on a dollar-per-dollar basis but rather on a value-per-dollar basis. On paper the C43 and C63(s) seemed to offer the same or slightly more value-per-dollar, albeit at a higher total cost, as the M240i. In person that was proven false. I don't put too much stock in new car prices so I was looking at recent used car prices to make my comparison.

To the others talking in this thread: I am looking for a 2018+ for the reasons you mentioned. I have a WTB thread in the classified you can see here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1819055
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:31 PM   #13
Nickies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
This is what AUTOMOBILE magazine was saying about the 2018 refresh of the 2 series:

"Other front end changes include a new front fascia with a revised kidney grille and larger lower outer intakes. Around back, the 2018 BMW 2 Series features new LED taillights."
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.

Last edited by Nickies; 04-22-2021 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #14
nuk3s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

So after all of my deliberation that I wanted an M240i this Certified M2 came up for sale in town: https://www.baronbmw.com/inventory/c...1j5c50jvd37547

Seems like a good deal, but being the last of the "not a real M" M2s I'm hesitant to look at it closer. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #15
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
So after all of my deliberation that I wanted an M240i this Certified M2 came up for sale in town: https://www.baronbmw.com/inventory/c...1j5c50jvd37547

Seems like a good deal, but being the last of the "not a real M" M2s I'm hesitant to look at it closer. Thoughts?
That's not a bad deal. Take it for a spin. Why not!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Why not "real?"
There are no real M cars anymore. See the review of the pig-nosed M3 in the latest Car and Driver.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:12 AM   #17
zstokes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

I think he’s referring to the N55 vs S55 thing.

Looks like a good deal to me, CPO and all. I’d go drive it, were it me.

Last edited by zstokes; 04-27-2021 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 12:19 PM   #18
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
See the review of the pig-nosed M3 in the latest Car and Driver.
It's an M4 that C&D reviewed.

Nit-picky, I know, but I'm guessing the M4 coupe outsells the M3 sedan by a wide margin.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 01:02 PM   #19
nuk3s
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstokes View Post
I think he’s referring to the N55 vs S55 thing.

Looks like a good deal to me, CPO and all. I’d go drive it, were it me.
Exactly. It actually just sold but the fact that it existed at all at that price point is interesting. Back to the m240i hunt.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:37 AM   #20
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
wow. Yeah, go drive the M2 if you already haven't...
Appreciate 0