THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Bilstein B16 Coilovers

04-07-2021, 11:52 AM   #23
J-Michael
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidy512 View Post
That sucks! Who did you order them from?

I am probably going to be ready to get these in the next month.

josh

Tell me about it. I ordered from Vivid Racing but it was their distribution company they use back east that decided to send out such a poorly repackaged kit. Vivid is handling this issue professionally. Just waiting on a return shipping label now and for them to find another kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2021, 09:11 PM   #24
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 f80 M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Michael View Post
Tell me about it. I ordered from Vivid Racing but it was their distribution company they use back east that decided to send out such a poorly repackaged kit. Vivid is handling this issue professionally. Just waiting on a return shipping label now and for them to find another kit.
Phew! Good to hear they are handling it like pros.

Looking forward to hearing how they work out....

josh
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 02:58 AM   #25
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

New to the forums, guess I can hang with the big bois and gals ;-). My B16 DampTronic2 came in by UPS. Yeah my box was close to falling apart. One of the struts has spots with paint missing. I'll figure out what Bilstein or distributor can do about that...
I can live with cosmetics blemishes, probably why they provide two stickers.
Having a local shop (503motoring) install these bad bois soon.
Q: I am 98% sure they are installed with stock bump stops. Anyone confirm this? The papers it came with has contradicting information.
Q: Would using Dinan OEM+ chosen bump stops for their lowering setup be of an benefit?
+ I am not using any of used parts, got all new replacement. Except the bump stops still figuring that out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_bomber View Post
Q: I am 98% sure they are installed with stock bump stops. Anyone confirm this? The papers it came with has contradicting information.

Yes, I am also 99% sure they install with the stock bumps. I read a thread somewhere on here that it was confirmed by a Bilstein tech. He confirmed the directions were wrong.

Q: Would using Dinan OEM+ chosen bump stops for their lowering setup be of an benefit?

They should work. I know others trimmed the stock bump stops to accommodate what drop you decide on. You might a want to PM someone who has the kit installed to see how much they cut the stockers or what they used for bumps.

+ I am not using any of used parts, got all new replacement. Except the bump stops still figuring that out.
I am looking forward to your review when you get them installed. How much of a drop are you planning for? Are you willing to take some measurements for us? Ground to fender, before/after?

Thanks!
josh
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #27
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep

Josh,

I called Bilstein aftermarket NA. No, pump stops in the fronts. Yes, in the rear OE pump stop. Each B16 kit is probably different. Lifted xdrives
Good news. Getting replacement B16kit from supplier. Got to wait a lil longer.
- Wanted to mention I made it extra challenging with 19"x8.5" ET35 wheels. They are Rotiforms BLQ-C🤤.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #28
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Josh,

I called Bilstein aftermarket NA. No, pump stops in the fronts. Yes, in the rear OE pump stop. Each B16 kit is probably different. Lifted xdrives
- Wanted to mention I made it extra challenging with 19"x8.5" ET35 wheels. They are Rotiforms BLQ-C🤤.
Rock on! Nice work calling Bilstein NA....

GREAT news you are getting a new set direct. I bet they pack it real nice...

Lifted xDrives? You lost me there... haha

Those wheels will look good. Cant wait to see picks....

josh
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #29
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Sure!

I measure from the ground to the edge of the middle of the fender at its highest point. OR some folks will measure from the middle of the wheel center cap to the edge of the fender.

I am not so great at inet art, but I will try to get a diagram for ya...

Thanks!
josh
Oh I think I get what you mean. So the height of the highest part of the edge of the fender. I can do that.

Store received them early, so picking them up next week and install should happen around May 4 so I probably won’t get to do a good comparison on track before/after since my first real track day this summer is May 13 though.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      04-20-2021, 09:33 PM   #30
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Josh,

How bad was the cosmetic damage? I only took one out of the box that I just got and it’s missing paint in a few places, it’s not dented but I live in a climate where I really don’t want exposed metal...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 02:28 PM   #31
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep

The parts are probably functional. But for $2,600 it should be cradled like a new born upon delivery. The thing that was most concerning to me is an extra piece randomly in the box. For peace of mind I would rather wait for the new replacement to show up. Plus I don't want to pay for install with questionable parts. And naturally OCD about most things.

Does anyone know what this extra part could be?
Attached Images

Last edited by B58_bomber; 04-24-2021 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 11:48 AM   #32
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

That is more damage than on mine... mine have a few spots of paint missing but that seems to be it. Still not great for the price, but not sure what they expect packing them just in paper like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 03:31 AM   #33
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The parts are probably functional. But for $2,600 it should be cradled like a new born upon delivery. The thing that was most concerning to me is an extra piece randomly in the box. For peace of mind I would rather wait for the new replacement to show up. Plus I don't want to pay for install with questionable parts. And naturally OCD about most things.

Does anyone know what this extra part could be?
My B4 DT's were slightly damaged with the same bent sensor mount point for the accelerometer.. not too much of an issue as just bent straight again. The other damage you've encountered isn't good and I wouldn't be happy with that the price they are!

I've never really understood the rear progressive springs, as the lower spring rate seem so closely bound that surely under the weight of the car they aren't doing anything and the higher part of the spring rate comes in. Perhaps starts coming into affect when going over a decompression i.e. a largish bump.

I think you were given incorrect info regarding front bump stops. Yes the Monotube B16 passive shocks have a built in bumpstop so no need to add an additional one, but on this Damptronic Kit the front (and rear) shocks are twintube and therefore there is no internal bumpstop, so you must use one.

Really eager to hear your thoughts on the kit!
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #34
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep

Fact check: It's says specifically "B16 Damptronic kits offer monotube performance."

I think you have your information mixed up. B4 is OE replacement. B16 is the cat's meow.

I contacted a Bilstien Tech and they looked up my part number already. I can try to get something on writing. Its got a lifetime limited warranty that's always insurance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #35
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Fact check: It's says specifically "B16 Damptronic kits offer monotube performance."

I think you have your information mixed up. B4 is OE replacement. B16 is the cat's meow.

I contacted a Bilstien Tech and they looked up my part number already. I can try to get something on writing. Its got a lifetime limited warranty that's always insurance.
I've got to say, I think that is a cut n paste typo. When I was talking to Bilstein technical head of aftermarket about B16 PSS10, he confirmed that the EDC version was twin tube.
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2021, 10:11 AM   #36
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Note that it said "offers monotube performance" and that could be a twin tube providing the "as good as" performance
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #37
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

Mine also had a bunch of damage upon closer inspection. Messed up thread, bent brackets, paint damage, missing a cover for the connection. Still going to go ahead with the install for now and see what they can do after, I can’t wait another 3 months to get those on.

I am going to remember this next time I am shopping for coilovers. Not a cheap kit, and it ships like it’s a 199$ knockoff.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #38
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
Mine also had a bunch of damage upon closer inspection. Messed up thread, bent brackets, paint damage, missing a cover for the connection. Still going to go ahead with the install for now and see what they can do after, I can’t wait another 3 months to get those on.

I am going to remember this next time I am shopping for coilovers. Not a cheap kit, and it ships like it’s a 199$ knockoff.
That's very discouraging spending that much on a kit.
Is this a shipping issue?
Can ppl who've had KW (or whatever other quality brand) chime in with your experience?

I was gonna go with KW cos they offer almost stock ride height.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #39
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

They are going on soon yeah? I remember you saying right around now you were going to install them..... Because, you know, I am REALLY excited to hear your review. haahaha.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

josh
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:16 PM   #40
Gepeto
Private
Canada
Rep

They are at the shop right now. They cleaned up the threads, fixed a bracket, should be on the car I am getting it aligned tuesday in theory.

As for "Is it a shipping issue" - not really, the outer box is fine, the problem is they pack those HEAVY and FRAGILE metal items with small brackets with only paper! Obviously the shock that is on top is pretty well protected but the other ones get banged up, and they aren't even bubble wrapped or anything!

I am just hoping the connector on the one that has a damaged « cover » is working, would hate for the damptronic to not work after they’re finally on the car.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-06-2021, 09:11 PM   #41
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep

Name:  Mono tube.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  93.7 KB

^^Link is to Bilstein F22 M240i RWD B16 Damptronic2

Name:  hoonigan .jpg
Views: 937
Size:  188.5 KB

^^HOONIGAN PARTS&SUPPLY Link for 240i Xdrive

These are PSS10+. The + add a grand to the price, from the regular PSS10.
Unless it is a marketing scam conspiracy.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 10:03 AM   #42
spidy512
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
They are at the shop right now. They cleaned up the threads, fixed a bracket, should be on the car I am getting it aligned tuesday in theory.

As for "Is it a shipping issue" - not really, the outer box is fine, the problem is they pack those HEAVY and FRAGILE metal items with small brackets with only paper! Obviously the shock that is on top is pretty well protected but the other ones get banged up, and they aren't even bubble wrapped or anything!

I am just hoping the connector on the one that has a damaged « cover » is working, would hate for the damptronic to not work after they’re finally on the car.
Nice! Fingers crossed on the connector....

How low do plan to go? I am curious as these apparently don't lower the car as much as other CO's. Which is fine by me...

josh
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #43
JD11937
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Quote:

Nice! Fingers crossed on the connector....

How low do plan to go? I am curious as these apparently don't lower the car as much as other CO's. Which is fine by me...

josh
I've heard this also. Think a lot of us are patiently waiting on the results of this install, haha.
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      05-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #44
B58_bomber
United_States
Rep

Bump Stop Clarification

Official writing from Technical & Warranty Support Expert
thyssenkrupp Bilstein of America, Inc
Stating the installation for:
B16 (DAMPTRONIC) - SUSPENSION KIT
Part Number: 49-255935

- Hopefully this helps clears the air for this specific Bilstein product.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50