THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum MyBMW vs Connected Drive

04-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #1
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 428i Xdrive

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i xdrive  [0.00]
2013 128i  [0.00]
Hey y'all,

I just posted this on the 3 and 4'er forum and wanted to spread my post so everyone can get a quick look at the new app

The new app just released and you can get it at this link if you scan it off another device

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bmw...w-app.amp.html

I've been playing around with it and here's my findings so far

1. Responsiveness is roughly the same if not a little better. With connected drive it could take as little as 15 seconds, or as much as 2 or 3 minutes if I'm really paying attention to send remote actions to the car

2. Still no customization
The biggest thing I wanted was the ability to change the way my car looked. Something as simple as changing the wheels or just being able to say the car isn't stock anymore would be awesome. I know it's not hard as many of us do OEM upgrades like 437m wheels or adding a little spoiler or even m sport conversion kits. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could change our cars in the app to reflect that change?

3. It's just a UI change
So with connected drive I only had access to the remote services and the most basic of access. No mileage counter, I can't see my fuel levels, or even what I was most excited about, seeing the status of my car like maintenance schedules or if a door is open. I think this is due to my car being a 2014 so maybe it's just not possible, or because the app is brand new to the US, but the rest of the world has it!!

Other than that I think #3 is the most indicative of how this app is. To me at least it's no more than a UI change to look newer and more related to current bmw styling. While I'm not mad that there's no new options available to me like mentioned previously, I'm simply disappointed that the app marketed to replace that godforsaken connected drive is literally the same and that they've had YEARS to fix

I hope you all with newer vehicles have better luck with it, I will have to wait and see if more features are rolled out later.
Attached Images

Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I think you have to wait a bit for it to all sync up. I had Liters and Kilometers for about 10 minutes then it went to Gallons and Miles. It also shows if the top is down and state of each window. On control messages it only shows oil level OK no TPMS status (maybe if the car moves it will up date). So far I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
I think you have to wait a bit for it to all sync up. I had Liters and Kilometers for about 10 minutes then it went to Gallons and Miles. It also shows if the top is down and state of each window. On control messages it only shows oil level OK no TPMS status (maybe if the car moves it will up date). So far I like it.
Would you be able to send pictures? I can't seem to see a control message section on my app, nor the option to even see fuel either. On another thread I posted this one mentioned it worked on his '17 m2 but not his '15 3 series which mine being even older would probably indicate it not being compatible
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:15 AM   #4
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I have a 2017 230 and I still only have very very basic info I guess I'll give it a while see if anything else syncs up
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:20 AM   #5
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogki View Post
I have a 2017 230 and I still only have very very basic info I guess I'll give it a while see if anything else syncs up
True, I think it could be due to it being so new, information and servers may not be synced for North America.

However, this app has been open for most of everyone else since like last summer so it does seem a little ill prepared, or awkward at least since they've had time to prepare

Regardless, I wasn't depending on this app to save my opinion of BMW, I was just hoping for a nicer way to connect with the car that provided some flexibility
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #6
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

It looks like most of the app has the same info, but it's significantly easier on the eyes.

I do see 'honk' has been replaced with a ventilation button. I can't find any way to remotely honk the horn now.
      04-13-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacinto View Post
Would you be able to send pictures? I can't seem to see a control message section on my app, nor the option to even see fuel either. On another thread I posted this one mentioned it worked on his '17 m2 but not his '15 3 series which mine being even older would probably indicate it not being compatible
Here are the shots I get. On the vehicle status it show closed but if the top is down I also get status of the top and each of the four windows. I show Oil OK but the old app showed Tire Pressure OK.

Also no honk the horn anymore.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #8
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
Here are the shots I get. On the vehicle status it show closed but if the top is down I also get status of the top and each of the four windows. I show Oil OK but the old app showed Tire Pressure OK.

Also no honk the horn anymore.
Hmm out of curiosity what iDrive version do you have in your 2er?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 07:10 PM   #9
airjesse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Vw GOLF

Thanks for the overview. Looks much more modern but the functions are still slow as hell.
      04-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
For those with iDrive 6 or older (or supported), the new app provides no real benefit than what was available in the old Connected app. This is more for those with iDrive 7 that have in-car apps, services.

But I will say that car commands like lock/unlock actually work and activate much faster than the old connected app.
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      04-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
For those with iDrive 6 or older (or supported), the new app provides no real benefit than what was available in the old Connected app. This is more for those with iDrive 7 that have in-car apps, services.

But I will say that car commands like lock/unlock actually work and activate much faster than the old connected app.
That's what I had figured still a little sad my 230 was made the last month before the LCI refresh and I'm stuck with the old iDrive; I've been thinking about cheeping out with an MMI and using android auto or seeing about reaching out to someone and trying to get a full upgrade to a new headunit.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 05:57 PM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogki View Post
Quote:

That's what I had figured still a little sad my 230 was made the last month before the LCI refresh and I'm stuck with the old iDrive; I've been thinking about cheeping out with an MMI and using android auto or seeing about reaching out to someone and trying to get a full upgrade to a new headunit.
Even if you got the upgrade, you're not really missing out on anything. I don't use the app other than checking up on fuel level and to see if I mistakenly forgot to lock the doors which rarely happens.

The app is truly for people who can take advantage of Alexa and/or digital key but for everyone else, it's just an app more for information than to actually use with your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:18 PM   #13
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Even if you got the upgrade, you're not really missing out on anything. I don't use the app other than checking up on fuel level and to see if I mistakenly forgot to lock the doors which rarely happens.

The app is truly for people who can take advantage of Alexa and/or digital key but for everyone else, it's just an app more for information than to actually use with your car.
Very good points yeah, it's just an added 'bonus' of doing an idrive upgrade; Honestly I'm just a little disappointed with how dated the infotainment felt for the car but of course it wasn't important overall when buying with these cars, but dailying it I've been missing AA for work trips and longer drives
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:37 PM   #14
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

I upgraded my head unit but lost connected drive. I assume this will not work for me.
      04-15-2021, 10:49 AM   #15
neemo.f22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19' BMW 230i M Sport

Tested it out, like mentioned it has no benefit for drive 6.

In general, BMW is really far behind on the connected / app side of things. I compare it to the rest of the market being on electric cars and BMW still rung carburettors....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #16
airjesse
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Vw GOLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22.jet View Post

In general, BMW is really far behind on the connected / app side of things. I compare it to the rest of the market being on electric cars and BMW still rung carburettors....
Everyone is behind Tesla. My 2019 egolf and wife's brand new Q5 are just as bad as BMW.
      04-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #17
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjesse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22.jet View Post

Everyone is behind Tesla. My 2019 egolf and wife's brand new Q5 are just as bad as BMW.
I think to bmw's credit, their focus the past generation (f chassis) at least gave a better alternative to our German counterparts and even Tesla in regards to driving experience

While that's a very subjective matter on feel, precision and overall handling characteristics, bmw has at least given us that oomph that MB and Audi lack from the cars I've driven

I think that's why this next generation seems so off and divisive. They're trying to be hip, trendy and different than Tesla but that results in an over reliance in the tech aspects but it just comes off the wrong way

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer analog and just maybe a couple electronic assists for convenience sake, but when your car starts to feel like an rc car with a computer inside it? It's a little disheartening to enthusiasts

Connected drive/my bmw was simply an extra tool, to be a little flexible to have but necessarily need, like a universal socket or Swiss Army knife in your glovebox. Nice to have, not necessity
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #18
Mattredm235i
Rep
Drives: M235i

Used connected drive once in my life, when I locked my keys in the car lol, so at least it worked for that, but overall not worth the money... wish it was more like a Tesla app style
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #19
djacinto
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattredm235i View Post
Used connected drive once in my life, when I locked my keys in the car lol, so at least it worked for that, but overall not worth the money... wish it was more like a Tesla app style
Lol that's a good use for it! Definitely saved you the however much for a locksmith to take out that key barrel or god knows what else they'd suggest

I think Tesla definitely has a great implementation, I would like to see a solid BMW interpretation to keep us occupied like live data logging or even just easier access to being able to launch apps from our phones to the idrive side of it (m lap timer, weather?). Make it like apple car play bit bmw's products
Follow the build
EuroFever
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 09:04 AM   #20
Neverlost99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2105 228ix

Is connected drive only a paid subscription service? I have never gotten mine to work at all with my 2015 228IxCV. My Lexus works perfectly.
      04-19-2021, 06:37 PM   #21
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverlost99 View Post
Is connected drive only a paid subscription service? I have never gotten mine to work at all with my 2015 228IxCV. My Lexus works perfectly.
Yes it is but the dealer covered the subscription for the first 4 years, you also need cellular service to the number assigned to the car. I understand that you get that free for the first three months or 3 Gig which ever comes first, then you get billed from AT&T. I have had the car 5 months and have yet to see a bill from AT&T.
Appreciate 0