THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Widest square rim/tire setup? Stock M235 Msport

04-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #1
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: NA

Widest square rim/tire setup? Stock M235 Msport

Hi,

What is the widest stock tire and rim combo? Slight rolling OK. Must not have any rubbing.

Will 18x9 work? If so what offset?

Car is Msport with track handling package. Doubtful their is any difference in the suspension.

Thanks for any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Foound this. Looks adequate.

Square 18x8.5 et35-45 (35 requires no spacers)
235/40 or 245/35
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
zstokes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

The Apex Wheels fitment person shared the following with me, 2017 M240i:

(Car in photo)

Front/Rear: 18x8.5" et35 EC-7R in Brushed Clear with 235/40-18 Michelin PS4S Tires
No spacers
Lowering Springs

Please see below for additional notes on this fitment:

Front & Rear: 18x8.5" ET35 or ET38 with 225/40-18 tires
Popular fitment.

Typically a direct fit. Certain compounds that run wider-than-average may require front negative camber.

235/40-18 tires can be a direct fit, but we strongly suggest dialing in front and rear negative camber to prevent rubbing. Amount of camber varies depending on tire brand and ride height.

245/35-18 tires require at least 1.5 degrees of front negative camber, and 1.8 degrees of rear negative camber depending on tire brand and suspension setup.

255/35-18 tires require at least 2.2 degrees of front negative camber and 1.8 degrees of rear negative camber depending on tire brand and suspension setup.

With a 235/40-18 tires, we typically do recommend adding a small amount of negative camber to prevent any chance of rubbing, however the amount needed will vary based on ride height and exact tire used. Some more aggressive track compounds will run a bit wider than their performance summer or all season counterpart.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #4
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

I’m interested in the same info. If I buy an aftermarket set I like the idea of square so I can rotate. I’m not interested in rolling fenders or playing with camber to make wheels fit, though. I want plug & play. The pickins seem slim.

I’m torn between straightening two and refinishing all the oem wheels on my car & buying an aftermarket set. The price I got today from Rimpro to repair/refinish the oem wheels was about $950. Seems crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #5
230iZTR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Signal Orange wrapped 230i THP

255/40/17 with 17x9 et42 (w/5mm spacer in front) works with around 2.5-deg camber from plates and an aggressive roll in front.

255/35/18 with 18x9 et45 (w/12mm spacer) is what I'm trying next, again 2.5-deg camber from plates.
17x9 APEX Arc8-R, 255/40/17 RE71RS, Vorshlag Plates, Swift Spec-R Springs, m-Performance Bumpstops, Dinan ShockWare, Paragon 2-piece rotors, Carbon lip, custom 3" alumalite splitter, GTS wing, FTP Intake and Charge pipe, BootMod3 Stage 1 OTS
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60_Driver View Post
I’m interested in the same info. If I buy an aftermarket set I like the idea of square so I can rotate. I’m not interested in rolling fenders or playing with camber to make wheels fit, though. I want plug & play. The pickins seem slim.

I’m torn between straightening two and refinishing all the oem wheels on my car & buying an aftermarket set. The price I got today from Rimpro to repair/refinish the oem wheels was about $950. Seems crazy.
I've used Rimpro. Your wheels will be like new after they get done with them. When you're close to them like you are and don't have to deal with shipping, I think they're a good alternative to buying new OEM wheels.

My experiences with the fellows who will come to your home to clean up curb rash, scrapes, and gouges haven't been what I'd hoped for. My last cleanup was $125/wheel and I ended up with a set of three-foot wheels (i.e., you've got to be closer than three-feet away to see the flaws in the finish after the refinisher was done (principally, runs in the refinisher's clear coat application)). That approach is no longer worth it to me.

I recommend reading through Apex's page on their suggested F22 wheel configurations: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide. If wide is what you're after, the square setup I think worth considering is the "Front & Rear: 17x9" ET42 with 255/40-17 tires". Below is an image of what they'd look like on your car (note that these are Bimmerworld's 17X9 ET42 wheels, and I don't know what the tires sizes are).

The tire size that will best fit Apex's 17X9 ET42 wheels will vary depending upon the brand and model of the tire you choose. Generally, you'll want a tire with a diameter close to your 25.0"-diameter stock tires; more specifically, you'll want a tire that will fit between your suspension and your fender liners so that you're not having to deal with rolling fenders or altering camber.

If I was considering that size wheel to go with a stock suspension, and improved OEM-like performance was what I was after, I'd look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40-17. My guess is that they'll fit on our cars when mounted on 17X9" ET42 wheels. Apex can advise as to whether or not this is the case.

Note that Apex offers forged versions of many of their wheels. So does Bimmerworld: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...-Wheel-17.html. Forged wheels will be quite a bit more tolerant of the imperfections imposed upon us by today's roads. And yeah, they're more expensive.

I'd only buy forged wheels if I thought they'd last for the duration of my ownership, and if I thought I'd keep the car long enough to make them a good buy. So far, that hasn't been the case. I do own six non-forged Apex wheels, and I plan to keep my car indefinitely. FWIW, since I bought my car in June, 2018, I still have the original set of wheels and tires, and I've purchased another 3½ sets of wheels, one set of which came with (winter) tires.

Last edited by dradernh; 04-12-2021 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #7
TheSniper
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

I went 19x8.5 with a +38 offset.

I have the Dinan lowering springs and they are pretty much perfect with no rubbing or anything.

Dinan Stage 4 Tune (Big turbo, exhaust, intercooler, etc)

Dinan lowering springs, bump stops, front and rear sway bars.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
TheSniper
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's a few pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 01:25 PM   #9
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
I've used Rimpro. Your wheels will be like new after they get done with them. When you're close to them like you are and don't have to deal with shipping, I think they're a good alternative to buying new OEM wheels.

My experiences with the fellows who will come to your home to clean up curb rash, scrapes, and gouges haven't been what I'd hoped for. My last cleanup was $125/wheel and I ended up with a set of three-foot wheels (i.e., you've got to be closer than three-feet away to see the flaws in the finish after the refinisher was done (principally, runs in the refinisher's clear coat application)). That approach is no longer worth it to me.

I recommend reading through Apex's page on their suggested F22 wheel configurations: https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc...-Fitment-Guide. If wide is what you're after, the square setup I think worth considering is the "Front & Rear: 17x9" ET42 with 255/40-17 tires". Below is an image of what they'd look like on your car (note that these are Bimmerworld's 17X9 ET42 wheels, and I don't know what the tires sizes are).

The tire size that will best fit Apex's 17X9 ET42 wheels will vary depending upon the brand and model of the tire you choose. Generally, you'll want a tire with a diameter close to your 25.0"-diameter stock tires; more specifically, you'll want a tire that will fit between your suspension and your fender liners so that you're not having to deal with rolling fenders or altering camber.

If I was considering that size wheel to go with a stock suspension, and improved OEM-like performance was what I was after, I'd look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in 245/40-17. My guess is that they'll fit on our cars when mounted on 17X9" ET42 wheels. Apex can advise as to whether or not this is the case.

Note that Apex offers forged versions of many of their wheels. So does Bimmerworld: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BimmerWo...-Wheel-17.html. Forged wheels will be quite a bit more tolerant of the imperfections imposed upon us by today's roads. And yeah, they're more expensive.

I'd only buy forged wheels if I thought they'd last for the duration of my ownership, and if I thought I'd keep the car long enough to make them a good buy. So far, that hasn't been the case. I do own six non-forged Apex wheels, and I plan to keep my car indefinitely. FWIW, since I bought my car in June, 2018, I still have the original set of wheels and tires, and I've purchased another 3½ sets of wheels, one set of which came with (winter) tires.

Excellent info, as usual. Thank you! I’ve also heard great things about Rimpro from customers I know.

I visited Rimpro yesterday and was quoted $965 to refinish all four wheels and straighten any that need it (I know of two that have slight bends). I didn’t quite expect to pay that much to repair wheels. A new set from bmwpartswholesale comes in at about $1,500. A bit painful to think I’d be repairing damaged wheels for 2/3rds the cost of a brand new oem set.

I read Apex’s fitment guide. It’s helpful & well done, for sure. I knew I wouldn’t go with a 19 inch option but never really considered 17s. I may have to consider that.

Thanks again for all the information. Incredibly helpful.

Last edited by 60_Driver; 04-13-2021 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Amazing response. Thanks to all.

Square set up is logical, makes money sense. Then I see a picture like this one - it does address the "under tired" look of the rear of these cars. They look like they would rub?

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/15...5/48433264496/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 07:09 PM   #11
TheSniper
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesjedi View Post
Amazing response. Thanks to all.

Square set up is logical, makes money sense. Then I see a picture like this one - it does address the "under tired" look of the rear of these cars. They look like they would rub?

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/15...5/48433264496/
If you have xDrive, you don't have to go square, but it's pretty much a given that you should.

You don't want the rolling diameter to be that much different from the front to back.

My guess is that this one either has some spacers installed or it's a hell of an offset.

Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:17 AM   #12
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

ARC-8
18x9.5 ET35 5x120 72.56 / Anthracite

18x8.5 ET38

Thanks again for the responses. Really good to see a forum like this. I may pull the trigger on these. The rear 18x9.5 et38 looks like a low off-set, may reduce tire choice to a 245?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 08:18 AM   #13
Jamesjedi
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Car is rear wheel drive w/LSD.

I have trouble liking the OEM wheels. They look out of place. Perhaps it is just me.
Appreciate 0