THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Squeak from under convertible cover when top down

03-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Squeak from under convertible cover when top down

Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem. When I go over uneven road with the top down, I sometimes get very noticeable squeak/creak from right side (US/passenger side)rear at the cover/under the convertible cover. It sounds like the top is bouncing. Is this normal? The car has about 2,000 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 03:34 PM   #2
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

Are you sure it is not the passenger seat belt hitting the B pillar. Mine flaps with the top down and no one in the seat so I move it over the side of the seat to keep the tang from hitting the B pillar. Might want to try that and see if the noise goes away.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 05:13 AM   #3
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
Are you sure it is not the passenger seat belt hitting the B pillar. Mine flaps with the top down and no one in the seat so I move it over the side of the seat to keep the tang from hitting the B pillar. Might want to try that and see if the noise goes away.
Nope. It's not the seat belt (I get that too). It is very much a creak or squeak noise. I tried to get some video/audio, but there was too much wind noise. We are just starting to get some good top down days in New England so I'll see what I can do to capture the noise.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #4
bongko
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i F23

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have a 2016 with ~37k miles and there were minor squeaks with the top up or down. Usually more noticeable when driving on the fast on freeway or uneven roads at moderate speeds. I got rid of most of the squeaks with Gummi Pflege Stift and some lube on the joints. I use the Gummi religiously now, maybe once a month; could be over doing it.
At 2k miles that cars pretty new so I doubt the seals or joints are squeaky. Perhaps the squeaks may be coming from the suspension or body roll from uneven roads?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #5
amutti
Private First Class
Rep

I'm pretty sure it's coming from the top once it's down. I never hear the noise when the top is off. I need to do a bit more research. I'm going to bring the car to the dealer in a month for an oil change and I'll have them look at it.
Appreciate 0