THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Slight condensation on one of the headlight

03-09-2021, 04:03 PM   #1
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
Slight condensation on one of the headlight

Got my M240 December 2020, and since day 1 there has been condensation in the left headlight. Not a lot, but just haze. It is also difficult to duplicate. I don't get it when the car is parked in the garage, but after about an hour drive in the cooler winter air and when car is turn off, u can see a bit of super super fine mist forming very slowly. I'm wondering if there is a way I can remove or open a small opening on the headlight housing and blast hair dryer into it without taking the car apart to remove the headlight. TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #2
amutti
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 Convertible M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
Got my M240 December 2020, and since day 1 there has been condensation in the left headlight. Not a lot, but just haze. It is also difficult to duplicate. I don't get it when the car is parked in the garage, but after about an hour drive in the cooler winter air and when car is turn off, u can see a bit of super super fine mist forming very slowly. I'm wondering if there is a way I can remove or open a small opening on the headlight housing and blast hair dryer into it without taking the car apart to remove the headlight. TIA
My 2021 had the same upon delivery. The manual says it's normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
cowymo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M440i XD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amutti View Post
My 2021 had the same upon delivery. The manual says it's normal.
My thing is if it is normal, then it should be happening to both left and right side.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #4
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowymo View Post
My thing is if it is normal, then it should be happening to both left and right side.
It can vary, depending on which part of the car has been facing the sun and which headlamp has been warmer due to uneven heat transfer from the engine when parked.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 06:46 AM   #5
Cattanachc12
Rep
Drives: BMW M240

Mine have been the same since the day i bought the car. Now my taillights are the same. I don’t just have condensation I have water running down the inside of my lights. Currently trying to sort with BMW.

Headlights are designed to breathable and the heat should evaporate the water but led etc there’s is very little heat. IMO they aren’t fit for purpose.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #6
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattanachc12 View Post
Mine have been the same since the day i bought the car. Now my taillights are the same. I don’t just have condensation I have water running down the inside of my lights. Currently trying to sort with BMW.

Headlights are designed to breathable and the heat should evaporate the water but led etc there’s is very little heat. IMO they aren’t fit for purpose.
I very recently had both my tail lights replaced for this, they where covered under the warranty and the service manager did say it was a known issue
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #7
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Had the same in front right HL... BMW service said if the condensation burns off with the lights on in a half hour it's not covered (warranty) and considered normal.

Funny thing is I haven't noticed it lately, but maybe I stopped looking too!
Appreciate 0