THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Backup Camera Install w/ Used Ebay Module

06-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Backup Camera Install w/ Used Ebay Module

Wondering if it's possible to install a backup camera simply by adding the correct camera module and camera and enabling the camera with BimmerCode.

I see retrofit options with BimmerTech, but if I don't have to spend $800 just for a camera I'm certainly not going to.

That said, can I get away with something like this: Ebay Camera & Module?

Seems like BimmerTech has ambushed the market on anything related to infotainment, but there has to be cheaper ways of getting a simple backup camera.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Lukasfehrwight
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i Valencia Orange

Also interested

Jumping on this to promote, Also interested. Seems like you should be able to grab the OEM modules and code things to work. Can anyone pipe in as to why you cant?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
ZGadson
Rep

Bump.

While its great we have something like BimmerTech who's dedicated to us and our vehicles, it would be even better if this community supported alternatives for those of us who don't mind a little work and don't feel the need to pay scale tipping prices for plug 'n' play options that may not be necessary.

That said, the lack of information on adding something as simple as a backup camera outside the realm of BimmerTech products is almost as infuriating having a beautiful high def screen option that doesn't come with what a backup camera that would probably only add $12 to the production cost of the vehicle.

@Lukasfehrwight, I'm biting the bullet today and getting a module, camera, and wire harness from ebay to see if I can make it work, and if I can I'll post a write up with part numbers to get.

Last edited by ZGadson; 06-26-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 09:37 PM   #4
Lukasfehrwight
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i Valencia Orange

I appreciate you biting the bullet for the rest of us!

Its going to take some coding for sure, which will be the hard part. Best of luck there.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 07:09 AM   #5
ZGadson
Rep

I've got a scan tool and BimmerCode, so I'm hoping that when I connect the camera module it appears as a module in BimmerCode with options to enable the camera. If it's really that easy I'll be ecstatic (and also pissed that BimmerTech is getting away with charging $600 while I paid less than $250). We'll see!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
Amar_F22
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Were you able to find a way?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

DIY - F30 OEM Backup / reversing camera retrofit installed! https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=873744
      02-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #8
donkim
Rep
Drives: 230i

Reviving thread to see if any of the original poster's had success to a lower cost solution for adding rear camera? I have a 2017 F23 w/Nav but no park distance option.
Thx ,Don
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 07:03 AM   #9
steve@codemybimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkim View Post
Reviving thread to see if any of the original poster's had success to a lower cost solution for adding rear camera? I have a 2017 F23 w/Nav but no park distance option.
Thx ,Don
Once you introduce a new control unit into the vehicle's gateway (This case being the TRSVC), it will not have any net coding data and this needs to be injected through E-sys before it can even be readable through BimmerCode.

Only way this would be possible would be to add the corresponding option codes to the vehicle order and coding it to the relevant control units that would require coding changes in this case being the TRSVC, HU_ENTRYNAV and REM and this has to be done on E-sys.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50