THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB No Response from Steering Wheel Stalks??

09-14-2020, 08:40 AM   #1
ZGadson
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

No Response from Steering Wheel Stalks??

Hey guys, need some guidance to fix my own major bonehead F-up. Was trying to hard-wire a dash camera and touched two wires together on accident behind the headlight switch which seems to have resulted in electrical damage.

I now have zero response from any headlight controls, steering wheel controls, horn, cruise control, signals, wipers, windshield spray, or even climate/AC etc. And worse yet, my wipers seem to be stuck in the on position. I cannot turn them off no matter what I try so Ive resorted to unplugging the motor while I figure out what to do.

Checked every fuse, front and rear and they're all good. I know wipers usually have a relay of some sort but I can't seem to find a location for any such thing - only fuses.

ANY suggestions or guidance would be immensely appreciated! I have an appointment to take it to the dealer today, but if it's just a fuse that I'm missing I'd rather not spend money on a tow truck and dealer charges if I don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

That sounds like a communication bus problem. If the instruments are generally not working and the car will only drive in limp mode, one or more comms buses have been isolated from the CANbus.

Could be damaged wiring used by a bus or the comms interface. There used to be a separate electronic module called a Junction Box that handled this interfacing, now I think for the systems you are having problems with it is handled by the Front Electronic Module.

Although I don't think it will help in this case, it may be worth disconnecting the battery for 15 mins to ensure all modules are fully powered down, then see if anything that is problematic starts working after a reboot.

Last edited by aerobod; 09-14-2020 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 01:45 AM   #3
iKriam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGadson View Post
Hey guys, need some guidance to fix my own major bonehead F-up. Was trying to hard-wire a dash camera and touched two wires together on accident behind the headlight switch which seems to have resulted in electrical damage.

I now have zero response from any headlight controls, steering wheel controls, horn, cruise control, signals, wipers, windshield spray, or even climate/AC etc. And worse yet, my wipers seem to be stuck in the on position. I cannot turn them off no matter what I try so Ive resorted to unplugging the motor while I figure out what to do.

Checked every fuse, front and rear and they're all good. I know wipers usually have a relay of some sort but I can't seem to find a location for any such thing - only fuses.

ANY suggestions or guidance would be immensely appreciated! I have an appointment to take it to the dealer today, but if it's just a fuse that I'm missing I'd rather not spend money on a tow truck and dealer charges if I don't have to.
Hi! I have the exactly same problem how did u solved?
Appreciate 0