THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Video and Sound Clips of MPE and Dinan Midpipe - Exhaust Revs and Cold Start

04-01-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
beamersauce
Private
Rep
Drives: m240i

Video and Sound Clips of MPE and Dinan Midpipe - Exhaust Revs and Cold Start

I've been meaning to make a quick video of the MPE and Dinan Midpipe combination. Had a camera on me for taking some pics and decided to do a simple video of the car revving in traction mode. Will be posting more videos in this thread with the same setup.

2017 M240i
MPE
Dinan Midpipe
Agency Power Intake

Video was filmed about 20 ft from the car with just the internal mic of the Sony A7rii.

ADDING COLD START VIDEO (4-4-19)

Last edited by beamersauce; 04-04-2019 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 1
ntj48.50
      04-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2

Sick. Have AP CAI and Dinan Midpipe.. Not sure if I should get the MPE or not.. Did you weld it or use an adapter?

Subbed
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubingchamp View Post
Sick. Have AP CAI and Dinan Midpipe.. Not sure if I should get the MPE or not.. Did you weld it or use an adapter?

Subbed
Thanks! I picked the MPE mostly because of the beautiful OEM look with the cf tips. Also after listening to a lot of sound clips of just the MPE on its own, I liked its distinct sound.

I had read that by combining it with the dinan midpipe, it'd be at the volume I was searching for. When I went to do the install, I forgot the clamp that dinan provided so we ended up welding them together.

I'd be interested to know what your cold start sounds like with just the dinan midpipe. I'll be posting a cold start clip soon so maybe we can compare.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamersauce View Post
Thanks! I picked the MPE mostly because of the beautiful OEM look with the cf tips. Also after listening to a lot of sound clips of just the MPE on its own, I liked its distinct sound.

I had read that by combining it with the dinan midpipe, it'd be at the volume I was searching for. When I went to do the install, I forgot the clamp that dinan provided so we ended up welding them together.

I'd be interested to know what your cold start sounds like with just the dinan midpipe. I'll be posting a cold start clip soon so maybe we can compare.
Gotta say, with just the midpipe, cold start is pretty damn loud. I actually don't like how it sounds so I give it just a little gas, seems to mute it. I will try to record a shitty cell phone video tomorrow morning, but I park underground so the echoing wouldn't really give a good impression of volume/tone.

I suppose my concern main would be with the volume mostly. I really like the tone that I get out of the midpipe on its own, but it's about 20-30% too quiet for my liking.

Also, don't want to go full Dinan because I'd like to retain the exhaust valve functionality, so MPE would likely be my route.

Sounds really nice, looking forward to more clips in different conditions
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:45 PM   #5
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Gotta say, with just the midpipe, cold start is pretty damn loud. I actually don't like how it sounds so I give it just a little gas, seems to mute it. I will try to record a shitty cell phone video tomorrow morning, but I park underground so the echoing wouldn't really give a good impression of volume/tone.

I suppose my concern main would be with the volume mostly. I really like the tone that I get out of the midpipe on its own, but it's about 20-30% too quiet for my liking.

Also, don't want to go full Dinan because I'd like to retain the exhaust valve functionality, so MPE would likely be my route.

Sounds really nice, looking forward to more clips in different conditions
I do the same exact same thing when starting up my car! The cold start sort of sounds like a loud boat in my opinion. It's very loud without the resonators of the original pipe! I start up in a garage that's below apartment units and I'm pretty sure they hate it.

Our startup is probably very similar.

The mpe for our car actually doesn't have a physical valve in it like the n55 mpe. There is something electronically when the different drive modes are engaged that adjusts the sounds. Comfort mode doesn't pop and traction makes the most noise compared to sport and sport +.

I liked the original cold start of the stock exhaust cause the valve was always on. With the mpe, it's very loud now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The mpe for our car actually doesn't have a physical valve in it like the n55 mpe. There is something electronically when the different drive modes are engaged that adjusts the sounds. Comfort mode doesn't pop and traction makes the most noise compared to sport and sport +.

I liked the original cold start of the stock exhaust cause the valve was always on. With the mpe, it's very loud now.

Hmm.. Do you know if the stock exhaust have a physical valve for the B58, or if it's all electrical as well?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 12:58 PM   #7
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm.. Do you know if the stock exhaust have a physical valve for the B58, or if it's all electrical as well?
Stock exhaust has the valve. Car used to start up pretty quietly with oem exhaust that I wanted more. Now that I don't have a valve, it's too loud on cold start.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
tubingchamp
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Stock exhaust has the valve. Car used to start up pretty quietly with oem exhaust that I wanted more. Now that I don't have a valve, it's too loud on cold start.
Hmm, but I'm experiencing the same loud cold startup with the stock axleback.. could also be the midpipe

Wonder if there are any videos or if anyone can chime in with just the MPE?

I know that the new mustang has a 'friendly neighbour" startup mode. Wonder if we can get one coded in somehow..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #9
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
I've been meaning to make a quick video of the MPE and Dinan Midpipe combination. Had a camera on me for taking some pics and decided to do a simple video of the car revving in traction mode. Will be posting more videos in this thread with the same setup.

2017 M240i
MPE
Dinan Midpipe
Agency Power Intake

Video was filmed about 20 ft from the car with just the internal mic of the Sony A7rii.

Are you tuned too? Was looking into an intake and a tune possibly but coming from the subaru world running and intake without a tune is not good since it runs pretty lean to begin with.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #10
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, but I'm experiencing the same loud cold startup with the stock axleback.. could also be the midpipe

Wonder if there are any videos or if anyone can chime in with just the MPE?

I know that the new mustang has a 'friendly neighbour" startup mode. Wonder if we can get one coded in somehow..
I really think removing the 2 factory resonators makes a huge difference and that's why our cold start is so loud. I'm considering going with a dp and then putting back the stock midpipe. But, I'll want to hear how it sounds first with dp, dinan midpipe, and the mpe.

Most flashes have a cold start delete function as well. Bootmod3 just launched today for the B58 so I hope to hear more about it. I know the cold start delete isn't a popular option, but I would really like it so that I don't wake my neighbors every day!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #11
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240Newbie View Post
Are you tuned too? Was looking into an intake and a tune possibly but coming from the subaru world running and intake without a tune is not good since it runs pretty lean to begin with.
Nope, no tune yet!

I am running the agency power intake cause it was highly recommended. It was an easy install and fits perfectly. Haven't had any issues with it for well over 15k miles with it on.

I came from a 2015 WRX and really missed the sound of the turbo noises. It's nice to have the air swooshing sounds with the intake now! You can definitely run the intake without a tune - you can even run an aftermarket dp without a tune as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #12
240Newbie
Learning
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' M240 M Performance

Quote:
Nope, no tune yet!

I am running the agency power intake cause it was highly recommended. It was an easy install and fits perfectly. Haven't had any issues with it for well over 15k miles with it on.

I came from a 2015 WRX and really missed the sound of the turbo noises. It's nice to have the air swooshing sounds with the intake now! You can definitely run the intake without a tune - you can even run an aftermarket dp without a tune as well.
Awesome to know! Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #13
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Adding in the cold start video, which includes a few revs after the car was on for about 1 minute. Exhaust was still muted at this point so there are no pops & bangs and the revs are significantly softer in the video at this point than when this "exhaust waiting period" is over.

After having the exhaust for a little over 9 months, the cold start isn't my favorite tone. To me it sounds sort of like a boat. It definitely is really loud in a parking structure and others have told me that they really like it. But, I think that's because of the volume. I was hoping for more of an aggressive and lower tone. I will most likely be adding a 200 catted DP soon to see if it adds any difference. I think this particular tone is from the Dinan Midpipe since the car no longer has the two resonators from the OEM pipe.

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:53 PM   #14
ntj
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xD

I've been debating the Dinan midpipe to pair with my MPE, so thanks for making and posting the videos. Super helpful!

Sounds amazing when warm, the cold start is pretty abnoxious though (in my opinion). I already find the cold start with the MPE fairly loud, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the midpipe. I've started to wonder if a downpipe would be a better solution for me, but I've been told that a 300 cell HJS catted downpipe won't help much with the volume/tone. I'm not tuned so don't want to risk the 200 cell or catless.

I see you're considering the same route..... What downpipes are you looking at?
      04-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #15
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntj View Post
I've been debating the Dinan midpipe to pair with my MPE, so thanks for making and posting the videos. Super helpful!

Sounds amazing when warm, the cold start is pretty abnoxious though (in my opinion). I already find the cold start with the MPE fairly loud, which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on the midpipe. I've started to wonder if a downpipe would be a better solution for me, but I've been told that a 300 cell HJS catted downpipe won't help much with the volume/tone. I'm not tuned so don't want to risk the 200 cell or catless.

I see you're considering the same route..... What downpipes are you looking at?
Hey man - we are in the same boat! Glad to see that the sound clips helped out.

I agree that the cold start is too much. I've been looking into the bootmod3 tune that was just released to do the cold start delete or I was thinking of doing a 200 cel dp and maybe going back to stock midpipe. It's a tough call!

Here's a cold start delete clip on the 3 series forum from someone who just installed bootmod3 with his B58. It's very quiet, but I think it also has to do with his mppsk exhaust having a valve.

I have to say though that I love everything about the dinan midpipe + mpe other than cold start. I think the dinan midpipe really allows the car to make all the pops and crackles that is too restricted with the oem midpipe. I researched the mpe on its own and sound clips were too quiet for me.

For dp's I was looking at the CG Precision and the Wagner. I read that recent post about the 300 cel being similar to stock too. I also fear the cel with the 200! We are actually in a sinking ship lol

Please keep us posted if you decide to go with any of these routes.

Last edited by beamersauce; 04-05-2019 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
Rockstar1487
Tarnished One
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Your combo sounds very nice! I have an akrapovic downpipe, 200CEL, I can assure you there is no check engine light. I have had it on my car now for roughly 20,000 miles, maybe even more than that now. I recently picked up the genuine BMW motorsport 3" muffler delete that came from the m235ir race car, installed it. I still have to video it and post a video but the car basically sounds like a race car and I haven't had decent enough weather yet to film in NJ. Akrapovic 200CEL downpipe, akrapvoic mid pipe non resonated, and then no muffler, is ungodly loud.

link to the muffler deleter:
http://https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-399312-rear-muffler/

Retired: 05 MB 330i, 08 CS 135i, 17 EB M240i, 13 CB 135is, 16 ABM M4

Last edited by Rockstar1487; 04-06-2019 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar1487 View Post
Your combo sounds very nice! I have an akrapovic downpipe, 200CEL, I can assure you there is no check engine light. I have had it on my car now for roughly 20,000 miles, maybe even more than that now. I recently picked up the genuine BMW motorsport 3" muffler delete that came from the m235ir race car, installed it. I still have to video it and post a video but the car basically sounds like a race car and I haven't had decent enough weather yet to film in NJ. Akrapovic 200CEL downpipe, akrapvoic mid pipe non resonated, and then no muffler, is ungodly loud.

link to the muffler deleter:
http://https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-399312-rear-muffler/
Thanks, Rockstar! I had also thought about the akrapovic but the cost is so much higher. I have a feeling that's the one that I'll end up with though as it's 200 cel and doesn't throw a code.

Your car must be crazy loud! Please post a video when you can!

I don't think I'll be able to run the muffler delete cause it'll be way too loud for me haha
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2019, 07:59 PM   #18
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive

Here is a clip of my M240 with VRSF 200 cell downpipe, Dinan midpipe, BMW M Performance exhaust. Hope this helps.

04-08-2019, 04:08 AM   #19
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21040 View Post
Here is a clip of my M240 with VRSF 200 cell downpipe, Dinan midpipe, BMW M Performance exhaust. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for posting this up Greg! I love the sound and I really like how the cold start delete works. It's just enough to hear it turn on and then the cut off is perfect. I really want to add the dp now! How has the vrsf dp been for you and how many miles have you had it on?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 06:00 AM   #20
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

It's night and day! I love it! When I first had it put on I got a CEL. I bought the 90 degree O2 sensor extender and after about 200 miles it threw another code showing too lean. I put in the shorter strait extender and haven't had a code since. Now I have about 10,000 miles on it with the down pipe.
I was consistently running 12.0-12.1 in the 1/4 mile, but one I put the downpipe and midpipe one (at the same time) I run 11.60s with occasional 11.50s. Huge difference!
      04-08-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
beamersauce
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg21040 View Post
It's night and day! I love it! When I first had it put on I got a CEL. I bought the 90 degree O2 sensor extender and after about 200 miles it threw another code showing too lean. I put in the shorter strait extender and haven't had a code since. Now I have about 10,000 miles on it with the down pipe.
I was consistently running 12.0-12.1 in the 1/4 mile, but one I put the downpipe and midpipe one (at the same time) I run 11.60s with occasional 11.50s. Huge difference!
Thanks for the great feedback on the dp - really tempting to just pull the trigger. Those are some really impressive numbers! I especially like how the cold start delete sounds with the whole setup. It's the perfect amount of an aggressive startup without attracting too much attention.

Would you happen to have a video of just regular cold start?

I saw your other videos and noticed that you were running dinan stage 1 before. I read mixed reviews on people's experience with dinan. Did you switch over to mission performance's tune recently?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #22
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I did have a video of the cold start prior to the delete, but I don't have it anymore. It was almost embarrassing. Starting it at store parking lots and everyone giving me dirty looks lol. Plus, my neighbors had to be angry!
Once Dinan told me their stage 2 wouldn't be out until the end of 2019 I chose Mission Performance. I've had it about a month. I want to get some times, but it's been warm in Maryland compared to when I ran it at the track with the Dinan. It's definitely more powerful.