THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Saggy leather on 2018 M240 xi

12-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
Irish Boy
Rep
Drives: 2018 bmw m240 xi

Saggy leather on 2018 M240 xi

Hi guys,

I am very close to purchasing a demo 2018 M240 xi from a BMW dealer with only 10km on it. I love the car but the only item of concern is the driver's seat leather appears stretched. I've attached a pic.

I've owned BMWs for the last 12 years and I have never seen this on them. I am concerned the seat may get worse.

I looked online and saw some people said they can use heat guns or steamers to treat this but I can't see how that would work beyond a day or two.

When I mention it to the dealer, they just say "it's normal, that's what leather does." Maybe I am just being too picky? That's possible...but curious what other BMW owners think.

Any advice is appreciated as I still have not bought this yet so now is the time to act if I want to get the dealer to fix it. I just don't know if its even fixable.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf red seat.pdf (160.3 KB, 334 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

In betting a “heavy” person owned the car. That leather is stretched.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #3
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I’m attaching the official BMW guidelines for as they call it Tolerance sample catalogue: Leather surface quality. This is presented to dealers as PuMA measure. Check your type of saggy leather to see if it is replaceable under warranty. There are also catalogs for steering wheel and discoloration. If you need any one of them just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Attachment 2_English.pdf (770.3 KB, 396 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 05:58 AM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Omera60 - what a great post above. What do they use for assessing if it’s the Sensatec material ?
Appreciate 1
hdy6.00
      12-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
Irish Boy
Rep

Omera60 - thanks very much for this. Very helpful. In your opinion, do you think my situation would be covered under the first one “seat cover: creases- seating area”?

And, any idea how they repair it - do they re-apolster it using same leather or install a brand new seat?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Omera60 - what a great post above. What do they use for assessing if it’s the Sensatec material ?
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the compliment, I try to help anyone I can . I need to check the system for it but unfortunately if my memory is correct there are currently no guidelines for Sensatec material. As this issue is quite recent, BMW are still working on developing these manuals for their service personal. Even the manual I posted above gets updated and a new version is in the works. They have just released a manual for steering wheels last week, I can attach it if that interests you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Boy View Post
Omera60 - thanks very much for this. Very helpful. In your opinion, do you think my situation would be covered under the first one “seat cover: creases- seating area”?

And, any idea how they repair it - do they re-apolster it using same leather or install a brand new seat?
Hi Irish Boy,

It is indeed very close resemblance to case 1 but it very much depends on your service advisor. If it is already overlapped (can't understand from the picture) they will take care of it. From what I see I can call yours moderate to some what severe thus believe they will change it.

They have to order a brand new seat cover for the part that needs changing I had my backrest changed as there was discoloration on the side from getting in and out. This is also covered under warranty. Even if my b*tt was responsible for it
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Omera60 thak you for offering but don’t need the steering wheel info. Good additional info.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Irish Boy
Rep

Omera60 - That's great that they re-covered your backrest. Did you notice much of a difference in the new leather piece from the old in terms of colour? If I was to get a new seat, I just wonder if it may look different from the rest of the car.

And, i got a chuckle out of your comment that your butt caused the issue. I hear you. Sounds very similar to my home life...my gf is always saying my lazy butt causes problems too. Mainly, not taking her out enough. LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
I have a bony butt and it makes these marks lol It really depends how you sit in the car. Depends if all your pressure is on your ass or its distributed with your legs also.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #10
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Boy View Post
Omera60 - That's great that they re-covered your backrest. Did you notice much of a difference in the new leather piece from the old in terms of colour? If I was to get a new seat, I just wonder if it may look different from the rest of the car.

And, i got a chuckle out of your comment that your butt caused the issue. I hear you. Sounds very similar to my home life...my gf is always saying my lazy butt causes problems too. Mainly, not taking her out enough. LOL
No, not bad at all, infact it was a perfect match. But one of the major things that helped both with the warranty replacement and colour matching is I’ve been using the BMW’s OEM Leather cleaning and care pack. I wouldn’t worry since looking at your pictures the seats seems ok in terms of colour, if it doesn’t don’t worry, with a little bit of use it will match in no time

Mine used to rumble cause I care more about the car than her so it was between the car or her and guess how’s having a joy ride every Sunday in his 2 series
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 06:42 AM   #11
Irish Boy
Rep

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Just thought I would give an update. I ended up buying the car and the dealer wrote into the contract that they would try to 1) replace the seat under warranty or, if the warranty was rejected, 2) send it to an outside upholster to fix.

They are hoping for option 1 as the dealer is not out of pocket. I will let you know how it turns out. I collect the car next week. Fingers crossed it comes out good.
Appreciate 0