THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum F22 LCI PPF Instrument Cluster Transformation

04-01-2023, 03:44 PM   #1
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 218i M Sport

Garage List
Hey 👋 guys, I’d thought I show you guys the new look of my LCI instrument cluster in my 2 Series. Did upload this thread to the (Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications) section but find that no one really ever pays attention to it.

Brought a matte anti-glare PPF for the forescreen and gloss PPF for the (speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge and battery gauge) just to give it a unique look. It definitely gives it that old school retro BMW E Series vibe and protecting it all at the same time as I heard they’re easily scratch.

First pic is before and the second one is after. And shoutout to Innovative Paint Protection Solutions (IPPS) for the excellent quality and customer service. https://innovativepaintprotectionsolutions.com/"]https://innovativepaintprotectionsolutions.com/[/URL]"]https://innovativepaintprotectionsolutions.com/"]https://innovativepaintprotectionsolutions.com/"]https://innovativepaintprotectionsolutions.com/[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
dradernh4818.00
qlaval54.00
SoftShoe159.50
      04-02-2023, 06:26 AM   #2
BlueberryPie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Convertible

Looks incredible! Do you have any advice for installation? The timing of this thread....

Last week I attempted to install the same product (full gloss though). I used the supplied squeegee, I measured the baby shampoo ratio precisely with water and used it liberally.... and man my results were terrible. I left it on for a few days hoping it would improve, but I had so many air bubbles. the squeegee provided seemed way too big to me and would not fit in many places - maybe I should remove the cluster and install it out of the car?

It drives me crazy how easily the OEM display scratches and love the idea, but totally wasted $40 - all user error I'm sure. I'm planning on reaching out to a few local ppf installers to see if they're willing to tackle a small job like this; many places around here don't want to spend time on small jobs I've noticed.

Anyways, it looks incredible and I love the idea of mixing the finishes as you did! Any advice is appreciated.

Edit - Was on mobile, but now I see you're in the UK, did you have them install it for you?

Last edited by BlueberryPie; 04-02-2023 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50
      04-02-2023, 06:57 AM   #3
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueberryPie View Post
Looks incredible! Do you have any advice for installation? The timing of this thread....

Last week I attempted to install the same product (full gloss though). I used the supplied squeegee, I measured the baby shampoo ratio precisely with water and used it liberally.... and man my results were terrible. I left it on for a few days hoping it would improve, but I had so many air bubbles. the squeegee provided seemed way too big to me and would not fit in many places - maybe I should remove the cluster and install it out of the car?

It drives me crazy how easily the OEM display scratches and love the idea, but totally wasted $40 - all user error I'm sure. I'm planning on reaching out to a few local ppf installers to see if they're willing to tackle a small job like this; many places around here don't want to spend time on small jobs I've noticed.

Anyways, it looks incredible and I love the idea of mixing the finishes as you did! Any advice is appreciated.
Appreciate your reply, as I have no experience whatsoever with any of these applications installs guaranteed I definitely would of messed it up big time as I reached out to a company I got a good relationship with who wrapped parts of my car before and are experienced PPF installers.

So sorry to hear about the experience of your install. I definitely wouldn’t remove the cluster, definitely reach out to as many PPF car customisation companies as you can and pay the extra for them to install for you as it’s definitely worth it and I don’t understand why on their part they’re wouldn’t want to do it because as long as they’re getting paid to install the application and surely they would want to keep the reputation of customers happy.

The kit came with all Matte Anti-Glare but I reached out to the company IPPS and asked if they could send me Gloss PPF of just the circular dials by itself separately and they’re politely agreed for half the price extra as I just wanted a different unique look. Let me know how everything will go for you and good luck as they’re always an answer and solution to these issues and good luck to you. 🙏👍👊
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
qlaval
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i X Convertible

Wasn't aware of such products, thanks for posting.
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50
      04-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #5
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlaval View Post
Wasn't aware of such products, thanks for posting.
Of course anytime, definitely worth it but not just for the look but also for the protection too definitely check them out on the link I’ve added. I also brought their PPF for the climate control display as it was only £10/$12.33 so I thought why not 👍.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 03:35 AM   #6
Michu_g
Registered
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Hey guys, this is my first post - I registered specifically to ask about the glossy protectors you have on your speedo and tacho, AM20. I like the look and am kinda half way there already, but let me explain.

My M2 came with the cluster pre-scratched by the previous owner/dealer, and I was coerced by my detailer to do a matte ppf on it to hide the damage.
It works on the flat areas of the cluster, but the speedo and tacho are a bit recessed, and matte ppf makes them blury. I had to take that off because it just didn't look very good when driving.

So now I am left with the scratched speedo/tacho and my only option is either polishing, or adding the glossy ppf like you did AM20.

So thats my long, sad story, but the question is: does the glossy protectors introduce a lot of glare or distracting reflections when driving? I am worried that the cluster will become unreadable or blind me in certain lighting scenarios. I often take the car out in the mornings, before the traffic gets heavy, so I get a lot of sun inside the cabin.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, as that scratched cluser bascially ruins my drive every time sun hits it and shows the awful damage. Cheers!
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50
      04-24-2023, 07:13 AM   #7
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michu_g View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post - I registered specifically to ask about the glossy protectors you have on your speedo and tacho, AM20. I like the look and am kinda half way there already, but let me explain.

My M2 came with the cluster pre-scratched by the previous owner/dealer, and I was coerced by my detailer to do a matte ppf on it to hide the damage.
It works on the flat areas of the cluster, but the speedo and tacho are a bit recessed, and matte ppf makes them blury. I had to take that off because it just didn't look very good when driving.

So now I am left with the scratched speedo/tacho and my only option is either polishing, or adding the glossy ppf like you did AM20.

So thats my long, sad story, but the question is: does the glossy protectors introduce a lot of glare or distracting reflections when driving? I am worried that the cluster will become unreadable or blind me in certain lighting scenarios. I often take the car out in the mornings, before the traffic gets heavy, so I get a lot of sun inside the cabin.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, as that scratched cluser bascially ruins my drive every time sun hits it and shows the awful damage. Cheers!
Hi mate appreciate making an account to ask me about the instrument cluster and always happy to answer and help with any questions. Sorry to hear about your experience with the scratches and everything and I heard these LCI instrument cluster are a scratch magnet. I wanted to do this simply because I thought it looked like a cool idea in my head to make it something different and of course protect it. This is the perfect solution like you said to hide all those awful nasty scratches and with my experience, I had no issues with glares and reflections whatsoever distracting me even though to be honest in the UK it isn’t the sunniest place on earth but even through the sunny days where I driven it, it’s always been perfect because the led backlit of the instrument cluster are super bright and still easy to read. Also the speedo/rev counter dials and the fuel/battery gauge are a separate individual PPF pieces as one whole PPF piece wouldn’t work because of the way the instrument cluster is designed cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-24-2023, 01:39 PM   #8
Michu_g
Registered
Rep

Thank you for taking the time to reply and post more pictures. This is super helpful!

I agree that the cluser looks awesome with the added contrast between matte and gloss surfaces. Much more interesting than the mostly plain slab of plastic it originally is. Happy to hear you had no issues with readability.

I guess the only potential concern, judging from the photos, would be the reflection of the steering wheel being quite visible, but maybe I am just trying to find an issue where there is none

I think I'll go with it, and test it for myself
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50
      04-24-2023, 02:08 PM   #9
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michu_g View Post
Thank you for taking the time to reply and post more pictures. This is super helpful!

I agree that the cluser looks awesome with the added contrast between matte and gloss surfaces. Much more interesting than the mostly plain slab of plastic it originally is. Happy to hear you had no issues with readability.

I guess the only potential concern, judging from the photos, would be the reflection of the steering wheel being quite visible, but maybe I am just trying to find an issue where there is none

I think I'll go with it, and test it for myself
No worries mate, the only reason why you can see the steering wheel reflection is only because of the angle I took the picture but guaranteed when your driving you’re not going to see the reflection of the steering wheel at all. The gloss and matte contrast gives me the look and vibes from the instrument cluster of my parents old E46 which I love about it, best of luck cheers.

And to also if it helps, check out the link of this BimmerPost user instrument cluster transformation. https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=29923378
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2023, 06:58 PM   #10
SoftShoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW M240i

Yes
Yes
And yes.

I, too, purchased an f22 with scratches on the instrument cluster, likely from some well-meaning deeply misguided soul who sought to wipe dust off of it.
[NEVER TOUCH THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER]

I thought I was screwed and was attempting to live the philosophy that “if it bothers you, just ignore it.”

This will be my attempted solution.

Thank you
Thank you
And thank you

This and the m-performance buttons install on the steering wheel will likely be my favorite interior changes. …although I do like my carbon, too.
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50
      04-30-2023, 02:43 PM   #11
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftShoe View Post
Yes
Yes
And yes.

I, too, purchased an f22 with scratches on the instrument cluster, likely from some well-meaning deeply misguided soul who sought to wipe dust off of it.
[NEVER TOUCH THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER]

I thought I was screwed and was attempting to live the philosophy that “if it bothers you, just ignore it.”

This will be my attempted solution.

Thank you
Thank you
And thank you

This and the m-performance buttons install on the steering wheel will likely be my favorite interior changes. …although I do like my carbon, too.
Same here too, it’s definitely by far my favourite interior changes as well. Also my other favourite change I done to the interior is upgraded my footwell lights too these, super bright LED straight swap plug 🔌 and play from R44 Performance who I always recommend, I brought the white and orange for the OEM + look and you change the colour via through the iDrive system no coding needed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 04:39 PM   #12
Jorge1212
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM20 BMW View Post
Hi mate appreciate making an account to ask me about the instrument cluster and always happy to answer and help with any questions. Sorry to hear about your experience with the scratches and everything and I heard these LCI instrument cluster are a scratch magnet. I wanted to do this simply because I thought it looked like a cool idea in my head to make it something different and of course protect it. This is the perfect solution like you said to hide all those awful nasty scratches and with my experience, I had no issues with glares and reflections whatsoever distracting me even though to be honest in the UK it isn’t the sunniest place on earth but even through the sunny days where I driven it, it’s always been perfect because the led backlit of the instrument cluster are super bright and still easy to read. Also the speedo/rev counter dials and the fuel/battery gauge are a separate individual PPF pieces as one whole PPF piece wouldn’t work because of the way the instrument cluster is designed cheers.
Hello, I am thinking of buying one of these. My cluster is scratched and is different from yours, but it is the same matte black. My question is, if it is not exposed to direct sunlight, I understand that it looks fine as you have said. But if the sun shines directly on the glossy film, does it shine so much that it is blinding?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 07:22 PM   #13
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge1212 View Post
Hello, I am thinking of buying one of these. My cluster is scratched and is different from yours, but it is the same matte black. My question is, if it is not exposed to direct sunlight, I understand that it looks fine as you have said. But if the sun shines directly on the glossy film, does it shine so much that it is blinding?
Hi, I can’t answer whether this will hide the scratches or not when the film is on as I never scratched mine so unfortunately I can’t answer on that part. But with the glare, no I never had one issue where it caused glaring issues of sunlight or reflections etc or anything of that matter as only my circular dials are glossy and the rest fore background of the instrument cluster is matte PPF. For me personally, if the PPF film for the instrument cluster is all one piece I would only opt for the matte anti glare PPF option, more likely better chance on hiding scratches and without the worry of sunlight, reflections etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2024, 11:34 PM   #14
Nickies
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M240I

I would be very reluctant to install any PPF on the instrument cluster. Fortunately, I am the first owner and I have no damage from even fingerprints.

I just remove dust with a make-up brush and nothing else. For touch screens, I use Whoosh! . This is an alcohol and ammonia free solution for all kind of computer screens.

www.whooshscreenshine.com
2019 M240i, Melbourne Red, Black Interior. 3M Tint, Premium Package, Harman Kardon, Adaptive LED Head Lights, M Performance Exhaust and Diffuser, Chrome Exhaust Tips, 719M Bi Color Wheels, Black Kidney Grille, Burger Tuning JB+.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 05:24 AM   #15
Jorge1212
Rep

Quote:
Hi, I can’t answer whether this will hide the scratches or not when the film is on as I never scratched mine so unfortunately I can’t answer on that part. But with the glare, no I never had one issue where it caused glaring issues of sunlight or reflections etc or anything of that matter as only my circular dials are glossy and the rest fore background of the instrument cluster is matte PPF. For me personally, if the PPF film for the instrument cluster is all one piece I would only opt for the matte anti glare PPF option, more likely better chance on hiding scratches and without the worry of sunlight, reflections etc.
Thanks for answering, the bad thing about anti-reflective is that you can't see the numbers. I've been looking and it does hide the scratches in principle. My cluster is like this (https://screenprotech.com/collections/shop-bmw/products/bmw-3-series-screen-protech-kit?variant=43809211056382). I thought about cutting off the ends and leaving only the dials. But my concern is about reflections, even if you only have the shiny dials. I suppose that the sun has hit it directly there at some point and I want to know if it reflects little or reflects blindingly.
Thanks for answering.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 02:04 PM   #16
AM20 BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge1212 View Post
Thanks for answering, the bad thing about anti-reflective is that you can't see the numbers. I've been looking and it does hide the scratches in principle. My cluster is like this (https://screenprotech.com/collections/shop-bmw/products/bmw-3-series-screen-protech-kit?variant=43809211056382). I thought about cutting off the ends and leaving only the dials. But my concern is about reflections, even if you only have the shiny dials. I suppose that the sun has hit it directly there at some point and I want to know if it reflects little or reflects blindingly.
Thanks for answering.
I’ve had the PPF installed on the dials for a year and a half and not once the sun has reflected against it, the reflections are very minor and I’ve not had issues plus the backlit lighting of the dials are bright enough to you can still see them clearly.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2024, 02:45 PM   #17
Jorge1212
Rep

Quote:
I’ve had the PPF installed on the dials for a year and a half and not once the sun has reflected against it, the reflections are very minor and I’ve not had issues plus the backlit lighting of the dials are bright enough to you can still see them clearly.
I'm glad to hear that, I'll try to install it, thanks a lot. Does it increase the brightness of the numbers on the dials? That would be great to compensate for the extra reflections.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2024, 04:59 AM   #18
Michu_g
Registered
Rep

I realized I never posted an update - I was also on the fence about putting glossy PPF on the cluster. Ended up doing it in a similar way to what AM20 showed in the pictures above (glossy dials, matte surround).

Crazy to think it's actually been more than a year at this point, but I never had any glare/reflection issues and I think it looks great.
One small nitpick is that the matte parts of the cluster can be a bit harder to see in heavy sunlight. Not completely unreadable mind you, just a bit dim. Mostly affects the sides of the cluster, because thats where the sun reaches most often. The digital readout in the middle isn't affected that much, so there is no problem seeing stuff like oil temp for example.
The glossy dials, on the other hand, are super readable at all times, at least in my sitting position.

For anybody researching this topic in the future I think this is a worthwile solution to the scratching problem, or even if you just want to make the cluster look more interesting
Appreciate 1
AM20 BMW223.50