THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Tow Hook license plate

07-31-2014, 04:30 PM   #45
jewels
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 & 2015 M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes136 View Post
Is it worth it to get the lightened version? Also how do you adjust it so it doesnt trigger the parking sensors? Are there brackets included to offset it or what?
I got the lightened version and went with the quick disconnect set up.
My needs for quick removal might be different then yours, and as far as I am concerned lighter is better.

Nice well made package, I was impressed. All brackets are included to adjust for the parking sensors. I was even able to put a narrow black plastic frame around the plate without triggering any sensors.

Except for the fact that it made my car uglier, I am happy with it.
      07-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #46
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
US millworks one is amazing. Well worth the money. It looks really nice and was built very well. I would highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:13 PM   #47
benes136
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Estoril Blue

This is all good to hear. Thanks guys. Does the tow hook cover just pop off? Guess its time to break out the manual...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2014, 07:15 PM   #48
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Push on the cover where the arrow is it then pops out.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #49
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Best plate on the market, CNC milled and everything

http://www.usmillworks.com/bmw_front..._tow_hook.html

The best part is that each plate is specific to the options on the car. For example the tow hook plate for a E82 128 and a 128 with M sport, is different
I've been using one of these for almost 2 years now and i've been impressed with their quality.
      08-26-2014, 06:18 PM   #50
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but was about to order a US Mills kit and noticed they ALL say not compatible with parking sensors.

When you guys ordered previously, was there a different kit that WAS compatible with parking sensors, or is the "incompatible" kit actually fine?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 05:40 PM   #51
robertg
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Can someone post a pic of their US Mill install. I am trying to gauge if I did my correctly (I have the front PDC sensors).
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 10:33 AM   #52
TaiChiSteve
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EB/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
Sorry to ressurect a dead thread, but was about to order a US Mills kit and noticed they ALL say not compatible with parking sensors.

When you guys ordered previously, was there a different kit that WAS compatible with parking sensors, or is the "incompatible" kit actually fine?
Did you ever order this and install?
I'm considering this but also have the front sensors and concerned that it won't fit. Or maybe just go with 3m tape.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #53
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiSteve
Quote:

Did you ever order this and install?
I'm considering this but also have the front sensors and concerned that it won't fit. Or maybe just go with 3m tape.
I bought the us mill works non-lightened one with quick release.

However, I was never able to get it installed with the quick release such that it didn't randomly trip the PDC sensors.

My solution was to bolt it straight into the mount without the quick release, and play with the angle until it didn't trip it. Seems having the plate as close to the bumper as possible is key.

Even still it sets the sensors off randomly, seems like sunlight reflecting off the license plate at the right angle trips it.

When I've got some more time (maybe this weekend) I'm going to try the quick release again.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #54
TaiChiSteve
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update.
Please keep us posted if you get the quick release to work.
Just got my plates this week from the dealer and I need a solution to the front plate.
Can you post any pics?

thanks...
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #55
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiSteve
Thanks for the update.
Please keep us posted if you get the quick release to work.
Just got my plates this week from the dealer and I need a solution to the front plate.
Can you post any pics?

thanks...
Sure what do you want pics of specifically? I'll try and mess with it tomorrow as it's driving me nutso
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 11:33 AM   #56
TaiChiSteve
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sure what do you want pics of specifically? I'll try and mess with it tomorrow as it's driving me nutso
Was just curious on the placement and how close to the actual bumber it is.
I'm thinking about going with the light version and quick release also.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #57
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiSteve View Post
Was just curious on the placement and how close to the actual bumber it is.
I'm thinking about going with the light version and quick release also.

I honestly can't recommend the quick release if you have PDC. I was never able to get it lined up such that it didn't trip the sensors. That being said, I CAN get it to not trip the sensors with PDC + quick release WITHOUT the actual license plate installed. I was thinking about dremeling down the perimeter of the plate slightly so it matches the size of the US Mills mount.

Here's a few photos of mine installed, sorry for the shitty quality. As you can see its VERY close to the bumper.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #58
TaiChiSteve
Private
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=bmxcamel;16662249]I honestly can't recommend the quick release if you have PDC. I was never able to get it lined up such that it didn't trip the sensors. That being said, I CAN get it to not trip the sensors with PDC + quick release WITHOUT the actual license plate installed. I was thinking about dremeling down the perimeter of the plate slightly so it matches the size of the US Mills mount.

Thanks for the update.
Interesting that it will work with the quick release but with no licenese plate.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #59
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

Same here. Have quick release installed and cannot get the PDC sensors to not trip. Also, getting the clips installed on the quick release is a PIA if you don't small hands/fingers!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #60
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshi
Same here. Have quick release installed and cannot get the PDC sensors to not trip. Also, getting the clips installed on the quick release is a PIA if you don't small hands/fingers!
Lose the quick release. It sucks but it's less annoying than tripping the pdc.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:36 PM   #61
thomps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

So have any city dwellers just done the US Mills quick release mount for the sole purpose of throwing it on whenever you park at a public meter? I am far more worried about getting a ticket parked at a meter than I am about getting pulled over for it.

From what I understand, you pop the tow hook cover off, and fasten the plate to a mount inside the hole. Is the quick release mount convenient enough to use in this way (off and on and off and on)?

Seems expensive for just that use, but I have parking sensors which limits the effectiveness as a full-time mount, and with the cost of tickets it could pay for itself just by protecting me while parked.

Unless, of course, someone could confirm that a plate on the dash is sufficient to protect you from a ticket while parked. But how can we really be sure about the tickets we *didn't* get, or reconcile the differences between state laws.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #62
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomps
So have any city dwellers just done the US Mills quick release mount for the sole purpose of throwing it on whenever you park at a public meter? I am far more worried about getting a ticket parked at a meter than I am about getting pulled over for it.

From what I understand, you pop the tow hook cover off, and fasten the plate to a mount inside the hole. Is the quick release mount convenient enough to use in this way (off and on and off and on)?

Seems expensive for just that use, but I have parking sensors which limits the effectiveness as a full-time mount, and with the cost of tickets it could pay for itself just by protecting me while parked.

Unless, of course, someone could confirm that a plate on the dash is sufficient to protect you from a ticket while parked. But how can we really be sure about the tickets we *didn't* get, or reconcile the differences between state laws.
In San Francisco you will be ticketed for plate in the front window. Not sure about other cities.

The U.S. Mills quick release will suit your use case of parking, but there will be a mount sticking out of the tow hook hitch.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 12:13 AM   #63
thomps
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
In San Francisco you will be ticketed for plate in the front window. Not sure about other cities.

The U.S. Mills quick release will suit your use case of parking, but there will be a mount sticking out of the tow hook hitch.
Ahhh I see. I've never popped the tow hook cover off so I didn't know what it looked like under there, and I was hoping the mount would work some sort of black magic where you can pop it all off and put the tow hook cover back on.

I think I'd rather have an ugly plate somewhere on the car than some hardware sticking out of a hole in the bumper, so I guess I'll have to keep brain storming (or aggressively lobby for a change in state law)!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #64
G4Z808
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not yet

Just installed my US Mill Works mount today. i got the lightened version with no quick release. It took about 15 minutes messing around with the position till i could find a spot that did not trip the PDC . Will get some pictures up later

The mount itself is solid, very nice quality

only concern i have is the position of the plate looks like it will block some airflow.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #65
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
I went with the Pedal Haus quick release plate bracket. Speedy install on my new 2015 235.
Bracket releases from tow hook mount with a few turns of a 10mm open end wrench. Couldn't be happier. Needed to keep that front bumper nice and clean. I always regretted having holes drilled into my 2009's front bumper.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #66
jamesm235i
Rep

Looks like US mills is selling tow hooks that is compatible with the parking sensors
Appreciate 0