THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack All-season vs summer

08-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #23
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Not sure if it was mentioned already but if you want to go aftermarket wheels and use your stock for a winter setup, RFT with a square setup is a better idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned already but if you want to go aftermarket wheels and use your stock for a winter setup, RFT with a square setup is a better idea.
Thank you!

Trying to decide between just swapping tires, second set of rims with winter tires (I did not know that a square set up was a good option for winter, that is good info!!), RFT's for winter vs non RFT's and only mobility kit vs add a donut spare kit.
There is also the 17" versus 18" thing. Hmmm, given that I have no desire to push the corners in winter maybe a square set of 17's with good all seasons (will almost never have to drive on snow or ice but it does get cold here) is the way to go. Seems like tire & wheel pricing strongly favors the 17 and 17" all season maybe would ride and handle as well as 18" RTF's?

Most of the above seems to be covered in existing threads so I suppose I will just keep reading and pondering. A downside of BMW is it appears that I have to think and learn things .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:38 AM   #25
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

All seasons suck below a few degrees above freezing. You're better off getting a dedicated winter set.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #26
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo
All seasons suck below a few degrees above freezing. You're better off getting a dedicated winter set.
+1 I think your best option, leaving aesthetics aside bc that's purely subjective, is the 18" staggered set w PSS and for under $2k you can get a 17" winter setup. Then you've got the best setup all year as opposed to something that's subpar 365.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 02:09 PM   #27
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1 I think your best option, leaving aesthetics aside bc that's purely subjective, is the 18" staggered set w PSS and for under $2k you can get a 17" winter setup. Then you've got the best setup all year as opposed to something that's subpar 365.
I think you folks very likely know whereof you speak.

Got to thinking AS because I don't really have much ice or snow to deal with most years and I see large day to day temperature swings in the winter season (60 f in 24 hours has happened once or twice), too many days & nights below 40 for summers all year to be an option though. If I was a bit farther north (I am not far from Louisville Kentucky) I think the mind would have just went straight to winter 2nd set without stopping to ponder the all arounders.

Are you still happy with the tire & wheel set up that you show on the other thread?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPSALIMITED
Quote:
I think you folks very likely know whereof you speak.

Got to thinking AS because I don't really have much ice or snow to deal with most years and I see large day to day temperature swings in the winter season (60 f in 24 hours has happened once or twice), too many days & nights below 40 for summers all year to be an option though. If I was a bit farther north (I am not far from Louisville Kentucky) I think the mind would have just went straight to winter 2nd set without stopping to ponder the all arounders.

Are you still happy with the tire & wheel set up that you show on the other thread?
The BBS SR with the Blizzak? I love the look they won't be on the car full time until after thanksgiving. That said I like them so much I'm praying for an early winter.

I have run all seasons in the past, both RFT and not, and they're okay but not great.

Look at it this way, even if you lease you'll have to buy a second set of tires before turn in. If you buy it you'll have to get new rubber eventually. If you have a summer set and a winter set they will both last 2x as long, from a calendar perspective, since they're only on half the time. And you'll have ideal tires most of the year. Granted not every single day if you put the winters on then there's a wam stretch or whatever, but for the most part you'll be way better off.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #29
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

One other thing I would look into, Blizzak for instance makes a variety of options. There's max performance which is what I got, then there's the stud less ice and snow which is for more serious weather. If you stick to the performance end of the spectrum and avoid the arctic tundra Siberia conquering stuff you'll prob be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #30
USPSALIMITED
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
One other thing I would look into, Blizzak for instance makes a variety of options. There's max performance which is what I got, then there's the stud less ice and snow which is for more serious weather. If you stick to the performance end of the spectrum and avoid the arctic tundra Siberia conquering stuff you'll prob be very happy.
I must have reached a decision, thinking about set #2 of tires and wheels is fun now instead of a pain in the .... Could go for something that looks a little outrageous just because. Bright orange winter wheels on a white car??

Thinking about whether to spend 350 for the sensors and what will make me comfortable regarding provisions for flats is not fun yet though. Oh well.

If you are ok with it and the thought comes to mind, please drop me a line after you get a little drive time on the winter set. I don't have a projected born on date for my car yet so I suspect I have a whole lot of time before committing.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #31
redline2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 328i

OP unless you do some serious track time you will be perfectly fine with AS on the street. The whole 150 mph is just an ego booster if your car only gets driven on the street.
Appreciate 0