THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Racing seats coding

05-24-2019, 09:30 AM   #1
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Racing seats coding

I have installed a Sparco EVO Qrt seat in my 228i and I am trying to get the airbag coded out. For now only one seat, I'm keeping stock passenger seat.

I have tried coding only driver side, but I still get errors so I tried doing both driver and passenger coding. Still no luck.

I have coded the following:

Code:
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
and

Code:
ACSM > 3000 > CIS_Beifaher -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzpositionsensor_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtzustandsanzeige_Fahrer_GWF_GZA_FA -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtzustandsanzeige_Beifahrer_GWF_GZA_BF -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Abschalten_Fehlerqualifikation_Plausipruefung_dyn_Daten_FGS -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )

I reset the airbag errors with E-sys and "Driver Restraint system fault" error is gone, but now I get a more general "Restraint System" error, that says "Function of airbags, belt tensioners and belt force limiters fault."

Is there anything else I need to code ?
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger

Last edited by ngl; 06-05-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Having no success I decided to reset everything to default, cleared all new errors I got from coding different options trying to "get it right" and only coded

Code:
and cleared all errors with Esys Transmiter.

After scanning with ISTA+, i found the airbag coding worked ( there is no error directly related to airbag ).

I do have a "Driver's seat belt tensioner: Resistance too high" error, code 930928. I do have the original seat belt tensioner connected, I see the seat belt warning light going off when I plug the seat belt, so I don't know what exactly is still wrong here.

I also found a forum post with some instructions from shawnsheridan
for using Tool32, but when I select F01.PRG I only get:
Code:
EDIABAS Fehler 28 : IFH-0018: INITIALIZATION ERROR
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 01:42 AM   #3
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

check https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/at...6&d=1315896635
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 03:06 AM   #4
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:40 PM   #5
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I have installed a Sparco EVO Qrt seat in my 228i and I am trying to get the airbag coded out. For now only one seat, I'm keeping stock passenger seat.

I have tried coding only driver side, but I still get errors so I tried doing both driver and passenger coding. Still no luck.

I have coded the following:

Code:
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
and

Code:
ACSM > 3000 > CIS_Beifaher -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzpositionsensor_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzpositionsensorserkennung_Sitzmemory_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtzustandsanzeige_Fahrer_GWF_GZA_FA -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtzustandsanzeige_Beifahrer_GWF_GZA_BF -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive )
ACSM > 3000 > Abschalten_Fehlerqualifikation_Plausipruefung_dyn_Daten_FGS -> nicht_aktive ( was nicht_aktive )

I reset the airbag errors with E-sys and "Driver Restraint system fault" error is gone, but now I get a more general "Restraint System" error, that says "Function of airbags, belt tensioners and belt force limiters fault."

Is there anything else I need to code ?

OP did you figure this out. I literally just went through the same exact thing and it's not working. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #6
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sadly not yet. I wish I could get my hands of the CAFD file from someone who has so I can compare it to mine and see what I'm doing wrong. I currently drive with the error.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sadly not yet. I wish I could get my hands of the CAFD file from someone who has so I can compare it to mine and see what I'm doing wrong. I currently drive with the error.
I got mine coded out a few days ago. I can give you the remote coders contact info. He did in about 10 minutes. He had me plug in the drivers side seatbelt while he was doing the coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #8
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome to hear that. Do you think you can save and share the CAFD file ?

Also, do you remember him using anything other than E-sys ? Like Tool32 ?

I'm using a Mac and can't get Tool32 to work due to missing COM ports and I think that is the last step needed to get it working. I'll have another go at it this Sunday.

I would really like to find a solution that anyone can replicate posted on the forum, so the whole community can benefit from it going forward.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Awesome to hear that. Do you think you can save and share the CAFD file ?

Also, do you remember him using anything other than E-sys ? Like Tool32 ?

I'm using a Mac and can't get Tool32 to work due to missing COM ports and I think that is the last step needed to get it working. I'll have another go at it this Sunday.

I would really like to find a solution that anyone can replicate posted on the forum, so the whole community can benefit from it going forward.
I wasn't able to see what he was doing during the teamviewer session. That being said, he said he was not able to do it with Mac. I had to go to my brothers house and run a 40ft Ethernet cable from his desktop out to my car.

I had a local coder try it with Mac as well and tool32 was not working for him. We tried for almost 4 hrs.

I only paid $100 for the remote coding session, it's probably worth the cash to save you the headache.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #10
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To bad you could not see what he was doing. Still, it is useful information about the Mac, thx.

I'll continue the search for the solution, because I want to be able to revert back to stock when needed and if/when I ever do a full software update and lose the coding, I would like to be able to get it working again without paying for it every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #11
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
To bad you could not see what he was doing. Still, it is useful information about the Mac, thx.

I'll continue the search for the solution, because I want to be able to revert back to stock when needed and if/when I ever do a full software update and lose the coding, I would like to be able to get it working again without paying for it every time.
Yeah, maybe you can just ping him and ask him what you're missing?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I finally got this to work. I only have one seat in my car right now ( driver ofc ) with seat belt receptacle connected, but nothing on passenger side, so this works with or without original seat belts receptacles.

I used E-sys for coding and Tool32 for reset, on a MacBookPro with Windows 10 installed in BootCamp.

In order to get Tool32 to work you need to edit EDIABAS.INI ( found in C:\EDIABAS\Bin ) and change "interface" from OBD to ENET.

I had all kind of attempts of coding and resetting that did not work so I started over, did a full reset on the ACSM module ( i used CODE to bring it back to original settings ), then I coded the following:
Code:
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the airbag for the driver )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the airbag for the passenger )

ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the driver seat belt pretensioner )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the passenger seat belt pretensioner )

ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the seat belt contact for the passenger )

I coded Gurtkontakt_Beifahrer because I have no seat at all in passenger side.

After this I disconnected E-Sys, opened Tool32 and did the following:
  1. File / Load SGBD ( F3 )
  2. Select F01.PRG
  3. From the select Job: F01 window, select FS_LOESCHEN_FUNKTIONAL
  4. Select from main menu Job / Start Job once only ( F5 )

After this command runs, all errors are gone.

If you get EDIABAS Fehler 162: NET-0012: NO Connection it is because you are not connected to the car
If you get IFH-0010: Datatransmission to controlunit distrubed, it is because you are trying with ignition off, or low battery

I did all of the above with engine ON
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2019, 03:04 AM   #13
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I finally got this to work. I only have one seat in my car right now ( driver ofc ) with seat belt receptacle connected, but nothing on passenger side, so this works with or without original seat belts receptacles.

I used E-sys for coding and Tool32 for reset, on a MacBookPro with Windows 10 installed in BootCamp.

In order to get Tool32 to work you need to edit EDIABAS.INI ( found in C:\EDIABAS\Bin ) and change "interface" from OBD to ENET.

I had all kind of attempts of coding and resetting that did not work so I started over, did a full reset on the ACSM module ( i used CODE to bring it back to original settings ), then I coded the following:
Code:
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the airbag for the driver )
ACSM > 3000 > Sitzairbag_Thorax_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the airbag for the passenger )

ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Fahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the driver seat belt pretensioner )
ACSM > 3000 > Gurtstrammer_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the passenger seat belt pretensioner )

ACSM > 3000 > Gurtkontakt_Beifahrer -> nicht_aktive ( was aktive ) ( this is the seat belt contact for the passenger )

2. Select F01.PRG

If you get EDIABAS Fehler 162: NET-0012: NO Connection it is because you are not connected to the car
If you get IFH-0010: Datatransmission to controlunit distrubed, it is because you are trying with ignition off, or low battery

Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 02:34 AM   #14
maxfrompine
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Garage List
Quote:

Code:

2. Select F01.PRG

Hey NGL, how did you connect the laptop to the car?
I have a Macbook with a USB-C to Ethernet dongle, then the ENET to OBD cable...engine ON and still get IFH-0010...
Do you run any other program before Tool32?

Cheers
      09-04-2021, 07:58 AM   #15
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I used a MacBook with Catalina ( I still haven't upgraded the OS ) and used a generic USB-A to Ethernet adapter, the first I found at a local store. I doubt it matters as long as it is recognized as Ethernet.

Windows 10 was installed in BootCamp, it is not a VM.

The Enet cable is from AliExpress.

The only thing I needed to to was to set the connection in EDIABAS.INI to "ENET".

I did it with engine ON because I did not have a power supply available at the time. The important thing is to have Ignition ON and stable power ( either a power supply or the engine on ).

If it still doesn't work the best I can think of is maybe you have a firewall or antivirus blocking connection, it is usually recomended to disable such software when coding.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2021, 07:14 PM   #16
maxfrompine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I used a MacBook with Catalina ( I still haven't upgraded the OS ) and used a generic USB-A to Ethernet adapter, the first I found at a local store. I doubt it matters as long as it is recognized as Ethernet.

Windows 10 was installed in BootCamp, it is not a VM.

The Enet cable is from AliExpress.

The only thing I needed to to was to set the connection in EDIABAS.INI to "ENET".

I did it with engine ON because I did not have a power supply available at the time. The important thing is to have Ignition ON and stable power ( either a power supply or the engine on ).

If it still doesn't work the best I can think of is maybe you have a firewall or antivirus blocking connection, it is usually recomended to disable such software when coding.
Thanks mate!

I got it working in the end!!
I was changing the EDIABAS.INI to "STD:ENET" instead of just "ENET"...once I put in the right value it worked.

I didn't disconnect yet the seat and seems that Tool32 didn't delete the error, I still get it all the time. (doesn't really do anything on the car, doesn't clean errors on the dashboard, but it says "Job Done")
Probably I need to run it when the seat is disconnected.

Do you still have the OEM seatbelt or have you swapped it for a 4/6 points harness?

TIA
      09-05-2021, 03:19 AM   #17
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

As I recall, if you code something out but the hardware is still connected you get an error. In the case of airbags deleted but not disconnected you can't delete the error and ISTA will read something like "coding doesn't match options". You might have to repeat the process in Tool32 after disconnecting the airbags.

I have the normal seat belt as I also daily the car and the harness is a PIA to get in and out, plus it makes exiting small streets hard since you can't move in the car to check for incoming traffic.

I keep the 6p harness uninstalled to protect it from sun damage ( my car is parked on the street ) and only use it when I have a track day or race. I sometimes install it for car meets also )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #18
maxfrompine
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As I recall, if you code something out but the hardware is still connected you get an error. In the case of airbags deleted but not disconnected you can't delete the error and ISTA will read something like "coding doesn't match options". You might have to repeat the process in Tool32 after disconnecting the airbags.

I have the normal seat belt as I also daily the car and the harness is a PIA to get in and out, plus it makes exiting small streets hard since you can't move in the car to check for incoming traffic.

I keep the 6p harness uninstalled to protect it from sun damage ( my car is parked on the street ) and only use it when I have a track day or race. I sometimes install it for car meets also )
Looks awesome with the half cage too!! 👌🏻👌🏻

Yeah, I tried again tool32 with the seat disconnected and I can’t get rid of the error…I might need to try to delete it with ISTA+ cause the dashboard of the car does not do anything at all when it’s running…

I triple checked and the ESYS coding went well cause when reading the ECU everything is in nicht_aktive

And I’ll might need to try to code out some of the settings you posted earlier…like the occupation sensor and others pretensioners…
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 01:47 PM   #19
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfrompine View Post

Yeah, I tried again tool32 with the seat disconnected and I can’t get rid of the error…I might need to try to delete it with ISTA+ cause the dashboard of the car does not do anything at all when it’s running…

I triple checked and the ESYS coding went well cause when reading the ECU everything is in nicht_aktive

And I’ll might need to try to code out some of the settings you posted earlier…like the occupation sensor and others pretensioners…
Best way is to check faults using ACSM4.prg then coding out necessary things.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 03:18 AM   #20
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

If you disconnected the seats that means you also disconnected the sensor and pretensioner, those alone also throw the same airbag error on the dash.

Anything safety related throws that error, including disconnecting the airbag off button on the passenger side ( near the glovebox, the one for pregnant woman, or whatever it is for).

Code the car for what you want to have connected on it, then connect / disconnect everything so it matches the coding then run Tool32.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 07:04 AM   #21
maxfrompine
Rep

Garage List
Thanks guys really appreciate the help!

Alright!! Back at it, got ISTA+ to clear the codes too this time...
At least ISTA restarts the car when it clears the errors, I'm not sure Tool32 is working even if it says JOB OKAY all the time...
Maybe I need to clear the codes in ACSM4 instead of F01.PRG

ngl you are right, the errors I was getting were about "Coding data do not match equipment"

kubax86 thanks for the ACSM4.prg tip, helped diagnostic the errors!

I coded the car back as factory, so both Pretensioner and Airbag aktive (car has still everything disconnected so was complaining again of missing belt and airbag) then coded the FDL again to:
- Gurtstrammer_Fahrer --> nicht_aktive
- Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer --> nicht_aktive

Cleared errors with Tool32 and still got these errors again in attachments (the last 2 were there but I'm not sure have anything to do with the seat delete...)

I'm not sure of what it's happening but it seems that I'm not the only one with the problem... https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1371308

Tomorrow I'll try to put the seat back in, code the car back to factory to remove the errors.
Then unplug the battery, unplug seat, plug the battery back in and code the 2 values again, pass tool32 and see if the result it's different.

I'm getting desperate!
Not sure what to do if this test goes wrong again...
Attached Images

09-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #22
BaggedAholic
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys really appreciate the help!

Alright!! Back at it, got ISTA+ to clear the codes too this time...
At least ISTA restarts the car when it clears the errors, I'm not sure Tool32 is working even if it says JOB OKAY all the time...
Maybe I need to clear the codes in ACSM4 instead of F01.PRG

ngl you are right, the errors I was getting were about "Coding data do not match equipment"

kubax86 thanks for the ACSM4.prg tip, helped diagnostic the errors!

I coded the car back as factory, so both Pretensioner and Airbag aktive (car has still everything disconnected so was complaining again of missing belt and airbag) then coded the FDL again to:
- Gurtstrammer_Fahrer --> nicht_aktive
- Sitzairbag_Thorax_Fahrer --> nicht_aktive

Cleared errors with Tool32 and still got these errors again in attachments (the last 2 were there but I'm not sure have anything to do with the seat delete...)

I'm not sure of what it's happening but it seems that I'm not the only one with the problem... https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1371308

Tomorrow I'll try to put the seat back in, code the car back to factory to remove the errors.
Then unplug the battery, unplug seat, plug the battery back in and code the 2 values again, pass tool32 and see if the result it's different.

I'm getting desperate!
Not sure what to do if this test goes wrong again...
When Alex@alpine did my remote coding he had me plug in the seatbelt while doing it. I didn't read above to see if that was mentioned already.
Appreciate 0