THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

03-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #155
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser View Post
... into a proper car
Interesting...please define "proper car" for you??
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #156
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 C4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Lol, wut???
Regretted this purchase almost immediately. Downgraded into it thinking I could live with a cheaper/more practical ride than what I had before, my kids are getting bigger etc etc. Believed the auto media hype and ignored my instincts on a few test drives, figuring I just needed some time to get used to it. Nope.

It's sorta torquey but slow, it rotates nicely but rolls like an old rowboat through turns, the driver's seat position is terrible (for me at least). Feels cheap inside. Stock wheels as soft as clay. The ill-considered M badges. That back end. I could go on.

And these cars dump their value. Cars all do obviously, but I (like some others I have seen on this forum) have been really disappointed in what even lightly used ones get offered in trade/resale etc. Gonna pay through the nose now that I finally decided to get out of it. But I don't care, it's worth it to be rid of it. I stopped driving it ages ago; bought a C63 a month after I took delivery.

I usually don't post, just read with genuine interest, but this thread asked what you hate about your 2 series and I guess my frustration over my own stupidity reached a boil & I have a couple oz of whisky in me and hence my reply: pretty much hate everything. Feels better to have vented though.

Hey, opinions right? YMMV of course; I am glad y'all like yours. Cheers.
2013 Polar White/Black C63 Perf Package
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 06:48 PM   #157
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Lol, wut???
Regretted this purchase almost immediately. Downgraded into it thinking I could live with a cheaper/more practical ride than what I had before, my kids are getting bigger etc etc. Believed the auto media hype and ignored my instincts on a few test drives, figuring I just needed some time to get used to it. Nope.

It's sorta torquey but slow, it rotates nicely but rolls like an old rowboat through turns, the driver's seat position is terrible (for me at least). Feels cheap inside. Stock wheels as soft as clay. The ill-considered M badges. That back end. I could go on.

And these cars dump their value. Cars all do obviously, but I (like some others I have seen on this forum) have been really disappointed in what even lightly used ones get offered in trade/resale etc. Gonna pay through the nose now that I finally decided to get out of it. But I don't care, it's worth it to be rid of it. I stopped driving it ages ago; bought a C63 a month after I took delivery.

I usually don't post, just read with genuine interest, but this thread asked what you hate about your 2 series and I guess my frustration over my own stupidity reached a boil & I have a couple oz of whisky in me and hence my reply: pretty much hate everything. Feels better to have vented though.

What did you have before?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:01 PM   #158
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think you may be the unhappiest Canadian I've known since my wife introduced her parents (in Kitchener) to their imminent son-in-law (from Brooklyn)!

I left MB to come here, and couldn't imagine going back for my own personal reasons. Sorry you had to go through a mis-match of car and driver, but also wondering what was the prior car and how you like the C63? I can see that someone who truly likes one of these brands might not care for the other, having owned both. I don't think I could even look at an MB with the Ipod on the IP design inside, although the new E Class shows that may be a brief moment in history for the C family.

Hope your next ride is more pleasing for you!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #159
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Interesting...please define "proper car" for you??
In chronological order, since 2007, the spot the 235 was intended to occupy in my stable has been previously filled by:

B7 RS4
911 TT (997)
R8 V10 (totalled by an idiot who ran a red light in a rented Dodge Colt)
two 911 (991) C2S (first one stolen; replaced)

Traded down into the 2 due to some poorly considered assumptions about cars & kids, and misconceptions about my tastes as I got older. My own fault entirely. I happily drive & love a W204 C63 now instead; the 235 sits in the garage, awaiting a trade on a ZCP M3.

Not criticizing anyone who likes/loves their 235. Just not near as much car as I'm used to, and it's entirely my own fault. I'm kinda drunk tonight and taking to the internet to complain, in the grand tradition of the Butthurt and Stupid everywhere.

Last edited by megacondenser; 03-29-2016 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: for clarity
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:56 PM   #160
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

This goes beyond brand. You were a whole segment away from what you really wanted! You'll be fine again once you find your way "home"!

P.S. My prior car was a W204 C, but not a C63.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:10 PM   #161
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I can understand why you might feel let down by the baby BMW after those excellent rides. I'd probably be let down a bit too. Those other cars aren't in the same league or price category though.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #162
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep

Yep, truth. Live and learn. And pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #163
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

-cup holder placement is crappy for shifting into 1st 3rd and 5th. (better than a s2000, but still pretty crappy)
-long shifter throws
-non self opening trunk like the 3 series
-no temp gauge
-no option for a manual seat (test drove a unicorn m2 at thermal with manual seats and it was perfect)
-no option for cooled seats (if they aren't giving us manual seats at least give us this option)
-the HK in this car pales in comparison to all the other models.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:34 AM   #164
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
In chronological order, since 2007, the spot the 235 was intended to occupy in my stable has been previously filled by:

B7 RS4
911 TT (997)
so you're saying the £35k car isn't as good as cars costing 4 times as much.

well i never...
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 04:36 AM   #165
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 m50  [10.00]
That it gets shit as dirty the minute you take it for a spin especially the back of the car for some reason. This bothers me so much if i wash&clean my car then dry it off. Then i drive it for 5-10 min to my garage. The whole back of the car gets dirty immediately i don't know how it is even possible its sunny and dry outside 5-10 min driving later its dirty as fuck on the back bumper that is so annoying. It removes the shiny-ness (don't know if its even a word) of the back of the car........

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)

Last edited by Nahlem; 03-30-2016 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 05:23 AM   #166
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
That it gets shit as dirty the minute you take it for a spin especially the back of the car for some reason. This bothers me so much if i wash&clean my car then dry it off. Then i drive it for 5-10 min to my garage. The whole back of the car gets dirty immediately not even sure how that is possible its sunny and dry outside 5-10 min driving later its dirty as fuck on the back bumper that is so annoying.
This is so true, it drives me crazy. I think it is soot from the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #167
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Quote:

Hello, since you've owned some great cars (997T, 991, R8) I'm curious what your #1 critique of the 235i is performance wise (so interior quality and M badging aside). Is it the suspension? Throttle response?

I'm coming from owning an E39 M5 for 2 years, and recently drove a 997C4 and Boxster S for 1 week each, and also feel like something is missing but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

Edit: Also I just noticed in your sig you have the 128i as your "favorite" - may I ask why? I test drove a 135i DCT and really enjoyed that car, possibly more than my M235i.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #168
Bam226
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M sport

Hate that it isn't an M2
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #169
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:

B7 RS4
911 TT (997)

Traded down into the 2 due to some poorly considered assumptions about cars & kids, and misconceptions about my tastes as I got older. My own fault entirely. I happily drive & love a W204 C63 now instead; the 235 sits in the garage, awaiting a trade on a ZCP M3.

Not criticizing anyone who likes/loves their 235. Just not near as much car as I'm used to, and it's entirely my own fault. I'm kinda drunk tonight and taking to the internet to complain, in the grand tradition of the Butthurt and Stupid everywhere.
Haha, dang dude. I'd feel the same way if I came from that line of cars lol. That's awesome. I definitely envy your ability to own such pieces of art. However, for my situation, the M235i is as high as I'm willing to go in terms of vehicle performance and the conditions in which I'll be driving on a day to day basis. For my lifestyle the car is a blast.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:52 AM   #170
23fizzer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This is so true, it drives me crazy. I think it is soot from the exhaust.
agreed. black grime all along the back of the car and even on top of the boot lid which is strange. it also appears on the door sills which made me think it was due to brake dust off the new pads?

the car is only 2 weeks old - does anyone have any info on the situation on an older car?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 05:31 AM   #171
VolTekka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

2015 M235i

1) EXTREMELY POOR illumination at night (almost dangerous to drive on the highway, especially unlit roads)

2) Unadjustable seatbelt height

3) Took me months to find a comfortable/acceptable driving position (wish the steering column could extend a little further to my chest)

4) Leather seats could be a little softer

5) Letting off throttle at low/semi-low speeds causes jerking motion and slows down the car too quickly (ZF8 Auto)

5) Poor gas mileage (Avg 13-14 mpg); mostly and hopefully attributed to driving style/terrain (steep hills)/lack of highway miles

6) Sometimes obstructed view from A-pillars and sideview mirrors
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 08:42 AM   #172
stealthwang
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolTekka View Post
2015 M235i

1) EXTREMELY POOR illumination at night (almost dangerous to drive on the highway, especially unlit roads)

I think that assessment of the illumination at night is pretty unfair. I've driven at night on unlit Canadian highways and found the illumination great. Far better than my previous rides. Maybe your headlights aren't angled correctly?

Not sure about you seating position but I find the view less obstructive than quite a few cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 12:57 PM   #173
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolTekka View Post
2015 M235i

2) Unadjustable seatbelt height

3) Took me months to find a comfortable/acceptable driving position (wish the steering column could extend a little further to my chest)

4) Leather seats could be a little softer

5) Letting off throttle at low/semi-low speeds causes jerking motion and slows down the car too quickly (ZF8 Auto)

5) Poor gas mileage (Avg 13-14 mpg); mostly and hopefully attributed to driving style/terrain (steep hills)/lack of highway miles

definitely adjust the vertical angle of your headlights if you havent done so already. these cars come from the factory with the headlights aimed way too low
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #174
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
definitely adjust the vertical angle of your headlights if you havent done so already. these cars come from the factory with the headlights aimed way too low
My M235 is supposed to have come with this "Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-rings, and LED accent lights"
I think mine have auto-leveling.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #175
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My M235 is supposed to have come with this "Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-rings, and LED accent lights"
I think mine have auto-leveling.
I've driven mine at near triple-digit speeds in the dead of night in West Texas with all manner of critters darting in my path (jackrabbits, roadrunners, deer, nutria ... ). Once aimed properly, they're fine -- average low-beams, above-average high beams.

The problem is getting them aimed properly. A couple of consumer groups have found that BMW does NOT aim the headlights at the factory -- and it's rarely done at the dealer, either -- thus the failed-headlight report for the marque from these groups.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #176
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
The problem is getting them aimed properly. A couple of consumer groups have found that BMW does NOT aim the headlights at the factory -- and it's rarely done at the dealer, either -- thus the failed-headlight report for the marque from these groups.
I gave the dealer 2 shots to get them right in my 335 before going and doing it myself. Once they were aimed correctly, they were the best ones I ever had (granted, premium package xenons, not the base level halogens being reported in all the tests).

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0