THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos 14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

01-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

Decided it would be fun to make videos of my garage projects. Let me know what you think. Any and all feedback appreciated!

Baseline Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):

VF Hex Tune Stage 1, Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):

High RPM issue

High RPM issue fix attempt

More coming soon. (downpipe, charge pipe, GFB diverter, stage 2 hex tune, then re-dyno and re-test acceleration again with Dragy, then one last time after installing upgraded intercooler)

Also, I upload other videos. I just linked these since they're relevant to this forum. I have runway drag race videos (where I lose to almost everyone I race lol), as well as other random garage related stuff.

Last edited by serrated; 01-18-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Appreciate 3
      01-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
NateDog07V
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport BSM/CoralRed

Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Much appreciated!!

I just assumed BM3 was more involved and I didn't want to get in too deep. (but from what I've read, they actually do have "off the shelf" maps for people that just want to have a turn-key solution so I probably should've gone with BM3 in hindsight)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Thank you for sharing
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing
No problem! It's nice to finally have something I enjoy to make videos about
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
XutvJet
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
XutvJet
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
      01-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
Much appreciated!

I'm going to attempt to do the installs myself as they don't seem too bad. (at worst, just frustrating but none of the installs seem impossible and having a lift will probably help)

Plus, the dealership just called and said the R8 has a leak in one of the radiators and if it's not a factory defect and was caused by a rock or something I'll have to pay out of pocket $1800. Ouch. Hopefully they warranty it or I'll definitely be glad I'm saving my labor money on the downpipe to pay for the new radiator lol.

I just uploaded two more videos this hour. Editing this crap takes so long. I need to talk my wife into doing it for me lol

EDIT: oops, forgot to answer your charge pipe question. I believe I got the VRSF one if I remember correctly. I liked that it came with new clips and something else that I can remember off the top of my head that others didn't seem to include
Appreciate 0