THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum 2 Series Photos and Videos 14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

14 M235i baseline to stage 2+ (dyno + Dragy testing/comparison)

Decided it would be fun to make videos of my garage projects. Let me know what you think. Any and all feedback appreciated!

Baseline Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):


VF Hex Tune Stage 1, Dyno, 0-60, quarter mile (Dragy):


High RPM issue


High RPM issue fix attempt


More coming soon. (downpipe, charge pipe, GFB diverter, stage 2 hex tune, then re-dyno and re-test acceleration again with Dragy, then one last time after installing upgraded intercooler)

Also, I upload other videos. I just linked these since they're relevant to this forum. I have runway drag race videos (where I lose to almost everyone I race lol), as well as other random garage related stuff.

Last edited by serrated; 01-18-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Appreciate 6
      01-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
NateDog07V
Private First Class
18
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #3
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDog07V View Post
Awesome stuff, well produced and cool to see the incremental mods w Dyno and Draggy after. Much appreciated for the time and effort. Also sick garage and R8 !

Just curious, why did u choose Hex over MHD or bm3 ?
Much appreciated!!

I just assumed BM3 was more involved and I didn't want to get in too deep. (but from what I've read, they actually do have "off the shelf" maps for people that just want to have a turn-key solution so I probably should've gone with BM3 in hindsight)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
8886
Rep
99,371
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (19)

Thank you for sharing
__________________
Check Out Our March Madness Sale!!
Phone 725-221-5267 || website www.x-ph.com
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:43 PM   #5
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Thank you for sharing
No problem! It's nice to finally have something I enjoy to make videos about
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
XutvJet
Colonel
1778
Rep
2,596
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.
__________________
Country over party

Last edited by XutvJet; 01-16-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #7
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Really exceptional work. I love the fact that you kept the videos brief and to the point. Sold data analysis as well.

Your Dynojet numbers are spot on for other 8AT dynos that have been posted over the years and I entirely agree with your analysis that there was a little torque left (~20wtq) on the table at boost onset because the operator had to lean into the throttle.

The 104mph stock trapspeed does seem about 4mph off as most mags were getting 108mph stock in the 8ATs and 107mph in the 6MTs. The tuned trapspeed is exactly what I expected. That thing hauls now.

Like you, I've got the Alpin PA4s and they are shockingly good in terms of launch ability. Not so much fun at anything else though

Which downpipe did you go with? Looks like the Fabspeed unit. I'm going to get the HJS Euro 6 DP. That's my next mod and then probably the BM3. Next up though is a summer 245/35R18 square setup. I look forward to the extra 1.5" in tire width up front. The MP LSD made a monumental difference in rear end traction thus I'm sticking with 245s in the back as the car is used for the street and nothing else.

Lastly, what color is your M235? I don't think I've seen that color before.
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 12:53 PM   #8
XutvJet
Colonel
1778
Rep
2,596
Posts

Drives: 2016 M235 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Kansas City

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
I really appreciate the feedback!

I went wagner for the DP strictly due to price. (I figure they all use the same cells most likely so you pay for brand name beyond that)

The color is mineral gray if i remember correctly. It's probably the luts I used making the color look weird. (color grading)

Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
__________________
Country over party
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Please keep up the excellent videos and data gathering. It really cool to see someone knowledgeable on cars making clean and to the point YT videos. It's so rare. I know we've butted heads a bit on the pedal/throttle enhancing device debate and have differing opinions, but you're talking my language and clearly know what you're talking about. Don't hold my differing opinion against me

I really look forward to your review of the Wagner DP. Are you installing it or are you having HOB do it? I'm biting the bullet and getting the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP in a couple of weeks.

Lastly, which charge pipe did you go with? I'm looking at the FTP piece.
Much appreciated!

I'm going to attempt to do the installs myself as they don't seem too bad. (at worst, just frustrating but none of the installs seem impossible and having a lift will probably help)

Plus, the dealership just called and said the R8 has a leak in one of the radiators and if it's not a factory defect and was caused by a rock or something I'll have to pay out of pocket $1800. Ouch. Hopefully they warranty it or I'll definitely be glad I'm saving my labor money on the downpipe to pay for the new radiator lol.

I just uploaded two more videos this hour. Editing this crap takes so long. I need to talk my wife into doing it for me lol

EDIT: oops, forgot to answer your charge pipe question. I believe I got the VRSF one if I remember correctly. I liked that it came with new clips and something else that I can remember off the top of my head that others didn't seem to include
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #10
serrated
Second Lieutenant
221
Rep
272
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Middle of the Map

iTrader: (0)

Stage 2 complete!

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 11:31 PM   #11
Shadowfax028
Private First Class
United_States
22
Rep
104
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M235i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

Killer!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
Dylan86
Lieutenant Colonel
Dylan86's Avatar
Canada
933
Rep
1,860
Posts

Drives: M235i MP Edition, 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rossland, BC

iTrader: (0)

Cool video's man.

Wanted to let folks know on the spark plugs, that with the right length extension and wobble head you're not required to take off any plastic. I got the plugs swapped in less than 40 minutes.

Looking forward to your next video, cheers.

D
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:11 PM   #13
NateDog07V
Private First Class
18
Rep
184
Posts

Drives: 15' M235i BSM Auto
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Based on ur progress thus far, Do u think stage 2 is worth it? From some posts it seems folks are having trouble putting the power down from stage 1 let alone stage 2.. so I'm just curious if u feel it's worth adding the supporting mods to go Stg 2. I ask bc I'm tempted to just do a mid pipe on top of the MPE and then add a Stg 1 tune, as opposed to DP and then Stg 2. I'm not a huge fan of the pops n burbles which MPE and a DP seem to exemplify, but love a fast coupe if the power is usable
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 12:06 AM   #14
beamersauce
New Member
15
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: m240i
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Napa, CA

iTrader: (0)

Wow excellent thread, man! There's so much great information here that I'm surprised this hasn't become an even more popular thread. Really appreciate the time you took to share your findings.

I love the real world perspective behind the Stage 1 vs Stage 2 results. It'd be great to see how much of a difference the summer tires will help to control the Stage 2 wheel spin. Keep up the great work - looking forward to how it all progresses!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST