THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BimmerTech Amp Tunes - Factory and User Shared

10-14-2016, 05:40 PM   #23
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoneves View Post
Just a follow-up to say that I am very happy with the amp now that I have managed to come up with a tune that I think actually sounds good. I don't normally like to complain in a public forum, but I did give Bimmertech a chance to respond privately first and they didn't have a good solution, and when Tony88 opened the floodgates, I couldn't help myself...

After having driven and listened a lot more yesterday evening, I am once more totally happy that the amp is a worthy upgrade, even with the stock HK speakers. The clarity and authority is greatly improved, and (at the risk of it sounding like a cliche) I really have heard some things in some familiar music that I haven't heard before (breathy backing vocals, subtle percussion, string tone etc.)

The speakers are definitely now the limiting factor, as they are still a bit rough in the lower mid (cheap cones, pitiful magnets) and at the top end (cheap metal-dome tweeters). The only thing holding me back about immediately ordering some front door replacements is the idea of having to rip the doors apart to fit them, and maybe I have better things to spend my car-mod money on for the time being, like the Dinan springs I've been coveting.

I would still like to hear from others who have been using the Bimmertech tune. Are you actually happy with it, or are you just not in this thread, or keeping quiet because you don't like it but are embarrassed to admit that you spent all that money on something you don't like. Or maybe you've tweaked the tune and fixed it yourself? (but if so, why didn't you post it back here?)

I'm not a professional car stereo guy, but I have done community theatre sound for many years, and I have tuned rooms using RTAs and SMAART and other such tools. I believe myself to have a good ear, and a taste for all sorts of music, and I know what sounds good, and most people seem to agree with me. I believe my tune to be a huge improvement, and I hope others find it so too.

There are a couple of things I want to tweak (I rushed the front time alignment because I was late for a dental appointment!) and the bass is a little boomy (I took out most of the rather drastic 125Hz notch that was in the F30 tune, and maybe I took out too much), but did 20 miles last night with the music cranked and a big smile on my face, so that says a lot.

My contention with Bimmertech about their provided F22 tunes stands, as do my concerns about the geometry of the mounting plate, at least in my car (see the install thread about how the amp is wedged hard under a plastic vent frame that I now fear is under stress and may break or pop out) but none of these are insoluble. It just takes people like us to point them out and give feedback.
This might be off-topic but I can't help but point out that you sound like a genuinely decent guy
It'd be great if you can share your tune if/once you're done with it, I'm sure many members would appreciate it. I'm also glad I decided against getting this amp, bimmer-tech don't seem to have had an actual audio shop do their tunes for them, neither are they audio experts themselves.
I went for a full cabin upgrade from MusicarNW and I'm still waiting on it to be shipped soon. I also don't mean to rain on your parade; I have the base stereo system (one level below HiFi, no amp) and getting an amp and a bunch of speakers separately would have been a nightmare for me to setup and tune and would have been nowhere near as good as a turnkey solution by a respectable audio shop like Musicar.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 05:56 PM   #24
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
This might be off-topic but I can't help but point out that you sound like a genuinely decent guy
Cheers to you, too, sir. I just want to share the happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
It'd be great if you can share your tune if/once you're done with it, I'm sure many members would appreciate it.
Of course I will! It might not be for a while, though, as I'm about to dive into nine solid days of theatre tech hell, but when I emerge from that I will play with it some more.

I'd like to hear other people's opinion of my tune so far, though (attached three posts up).
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #25
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

Anybody have a tune to use with Bavsound speakers yet?
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #26
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Answered my own question. Got this tune from Bavsound. They have the frequency response for most channels set to just about flat. They also have the center channel muted. I boosted the gain on the rear channels a few dB to fill out the sound. I am very pleased with the results. See the attached file.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BavsoundTune-2.afp.pdf (2.9 KB, 339 views)
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:55 PM   #27
Tony88
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Quote:
and when Tony88 opened the floodgates, I couldn't help myself...
Haha well at least I got this thread moving again

I'm pretty happy so far with the little changes I made to the F30 tune but its still lacking in a few areas. It's too harsh in the extreme highs and a little too much at the bottom end for the stock subs. I'll try your tune out and see what I think. You seem to know how this audio tuning thing works better than me

I just broke down and ordered the BSW Ghost subs. Even tuning the stock subs down they were bottoming out too easily and just too weak for me. Can't wait to give these new ones a try!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 01:58 AM   #28
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony88 View Post
I'm pretty happy so far with the little changes I made to the F30 tune but its still lacking in a few areas. It's too harsh in the extreme highs and a little too much at the bottom end for the stock subs. I'll try your tune out and see what I think. You seem to know how this audio tuning thing works better than me
I haven't had time to tweak mine any further. I do like a bright sound, but I can imagine some people would find mine still too bright. It's clear as a bell, though. I'm hearing all sorts of stuff I've never heard before.

Quote:
I just broke down and ordered the BSW Ghost subs. Even tuning the stock subs down they were bottoming out too easily and just too weak for me. Can't wait to give these new ones a try!
I've heard mine fart a few times when I've had the volume near the top. Most of the time it's pretty solid, though. I don't usually have it that high.

I'm having to control myself, because I really want those Dinan springs next...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Haha well at least I got this thread moving again

The tune I posted did wonders for the ghost subs. It hits harder and is tighter than any of the other tunes I tried. And the channel gain isn't even maxed. When you get the subs, definitely use the tune as a starting point. I should also note that I boosted the bass in iDrive while leaving the treble flat.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #30
MikeyJ
Rep
Drives: ED 4/27/15 - M235i 6MT

Another option for Stage 1 with Ghosts for HK

I've been playing with this V3 tune for a bit for my BavSound Stage1 with Ghosts for HK set-up, and I'm thinking for me this might be the one. The major difference with this tune vs. the others I've seen is phasing is turned off. Because of that, the highs needed to be toned down just a bit, as well as some other minor changes.

Of course, your results may vary.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Stage 1 with Ghosts for F22 HK.afpx.pdf (1.9 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by MikeyJ; 10-22-2016 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 12:08 PM   #31
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

What do you mean by "phasing turned off"? I noticed that the subs were set to 180 degrees on the time alignment page, but I'm unclear as to what that setting actually does as it's a continuous value not just a polarity flip, so surely meaningless as actual phase is frequency-dependent. Regardless changing them (both) to zero did change the sound quite dramatically, and I liked it better one way than the other (I can't remember which... check my tune).
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
Johnnohoff
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
I've been playing with this V3 tune for a bit for my BavSound Stage1 with Ghosts for HK set-up, and I'm thinking for me this might be the one. The major difference with this tune vs. the others I've seen is phasing is turned off. Because of that, the highs needed to be toned down just a bit, as well as some other minor changes.

Treble down 3, bass up 5 and I am happy with this tune! Thanks for posting it.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #33
MikeyJ
Rep
Drives: ED 4/27/15 - M235i 6MT

Quote:
What do you mean by "phasing turned off"? I noticed that the subs were set to 180 degrees on the time alignment page, but I'm unclear as to what that setting actually does as it's a continuous value not just a polarity flip, so surely meaningless as actual phase is frequency-dependent. Regardless changing them (both) to zero did change the sound quite dramatically, and I liked it better one way than the other (I can't remember which... check my tune).
By phasing, I meant setting the time alignment distance of the front speakers. With them set to 0, front speaker separation is more prominent and a sound more enjoyable for me. By setting them to 45cm/99cm, I feel separation is lost. Personal preference.

Remember my tune was for HK replaced with Bavsound Stage 1 and Bavsound Ghosts.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #34
fatumpsch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M2, 6MT, exec

Anyone have a tune for the Dr Strangelove setup? If so, how does it sound?

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1236238&page=2
1.front door speakers: Etons B100W
2. rear deck speakers: JL Audio Evolution 4" Coaxial Speakers
3. center speaker disconnected

Still have stock underseat woofers but considering replacing these...
also don't have amp yet, but want to get a sense of how good it will turn out with my setup before I commit to anything else. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #35
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post

I liked this tune as well. The bass hit harder and overall it sounded fuller than the Bavsound tune. However it did seem like there was some muddiness going on. I will probably mess with the sub curves to try and get a tighter, cleaner sound. But overall, nice job!

UPDATE: I had previously bumped up the gain on the rear channels but after driving around for a bit, I realized that the sound was biased toward the rear. So I loaded up the original tune and kept the rears where they were and a lot of the muddiness went away. It really does sound great now. Although it is a bit disappointing that these speakers were designed for the F22 and the front and rears don't seem to be well matched acoustically. Whatever, I'm happy, for now. After all I'm a tweaker and just can't leave things alone.

Last edited by chemh0ser; 11-15-2016 at 07:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #36
mdt
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2, AW M135i

I haven't been able to find any new programs for the hifi set up. At the moment, the centre speaker is too loud and the car resonates with distortion at certain low frequencies. I've tried disconnecting the centre speaker, but there was too much of a gap at the front so I'd prefer to just turn it down. Any help appreciated.
      03-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #37
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

hi guys, apologizes if this has been discussed, but in reference to deleting ASD. I been told you can either code it out or use the cable bypass. In reference to coding out, can that be done through AMP tuning? or are we talking separate coding.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #38
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazision View Post
hi guys, apologizes if this has been discussed, but in reference to deleting ASD. I been told you can either code it out or use the cable bypass. In reference to coding out, can that be done through AMP tuning? or are we talking separate coding.
Separate coding. There's no way to remove it using just the controls on the BimmerTech amp.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #39
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
The tune I posted did wonders for the ghost subs. It hits harder and is tighter than any of the other tunes I tried. And the channel gain isn't even maxed. When you get the subs, definitely use the tune as a starting point. I should also note that I boosted the bass in iDrive while leaving the treble flat.
hi
i downloaded that tune, but it is empty/not configured

can you post again?

i want to see the sub config specifically

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #40
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

What version of the software are you using. One version uses the afpx extension and one the afp. Also, did you remove the pdf extension?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #41
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemh0ser View Post
What version of the software are you using. One version uses the afpx extension and one the afp. Also, did you remove the pdf extension?
hi
using version 4.20b

yes i removed the pdf - all the other files in the thread have worked so far

Noticed the BavSound file is afp only - i will install ver 3 and take a look at it

thanks

Last edited by Pauldunlop13; 11-27-2017 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 04:57 PM   #42
Pauldunlop13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldunlop13 View Post
hi
using version 4.20b

yes i removed the pdf - all the other files in the thread have worked so far

Noticed the BavSound file is afp only - i will install ver 3 and take a look at it

thanks
I was able to open in version 3 - copied the settings for Subwoofer 1
i started with the SimonEves tune file - made some minor changes - then added the sub setting for the Ghost Subs that i am running from the Bav file

here is the file i am working with currently
i installed last night - so i have only been working with some minor in car testing - with 4 songs i am very familiar with - it is shaping up nicely so far
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PGD_F22_HKSub.afpx.pdf (2.7 KB, 192 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:20 AM   #43
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep

Awesome! Keep us posted on how things are sounding.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:15 PM   #44
//M235ixD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 //M235i xDrive

Anyone has tune file for BimmerTech amp Bavsound Hi-Fi setup?
Appreciate 0