THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Focal and JL Audio upgrade report

03-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
rmastbro
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i EBII

Just in case anyone is curious of the amp size or location, here a few pictures of stock amp, ASD bypass cable and Bimmertech amp that were installed in my M235.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #24
VPB74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
Is there an amp with just the standard hi/fi equipped 2018 M240i? I looked on Bavsound and they indicate that they don't make a replacement amp for that.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #25
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2650 View Post
Is there an amp with just the standard hi/fi equipped 2018 M240i? I looked on Bavsound and they indicate that they don't make a replacement amp for that.
Yes, there is, in the same location and mounted the same way.

(Note: Bavsound doesn't make the amp. Match makes the amp, which a Polish company called Bimmertech has modified by Match to work with BMWs. It's very possible that Bimmertech hasn't developed an amp for that model year yet. I would check directly with Bimmertech via its website here regarding availability.)
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #26
530iAndroid
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i and 2018 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by reward72 View Post
I just replaced the base hifi of my MY18 M240xi with a full set of Focal speakers (IFBMW-SUB.v2, IFBMW-C, ISC-100) and a JL Audio XD600/6v2 amp with the Technics harness. The difference is day and night.

I’m not an audiophile, I don’t have the proper vocabulary, but I can tell it’s way better than any stock system I ever had. The base is a lot punchier and the mid and highs are crisp. I like all sort of music, but found hard rock to be particularly tiresome on the stock system, now I can enjoy it again.

I’m also surprised on how ASD sounds now. Comfort mode doesn’t sound that different, but in sport mode it is definitely louder and sound kinda nice. Part of me dislike that kind of shenanigan, but I must admit it made me smile.
This is encouraging. I am honestly a bit overwhelmed with the countless recommendations. I’m looking for plug and play solutions and so far the BavAudio seems to get mediocre reviews.

I have read that installing the Focal subs is not plug and play and requires drilling holes. Do you know if that was really the case?

I read that putting in an aftermarket amp like the Bimmertech may cause your ECU to get fried if they do an update on your car so you have to remove the amp. Is this a risk with your amp as well? (Not sure if that is even true)

Where did you have the install done? Not anywhere in Southern California I take it?

Last edited by 530iAndroid; 04-04-2018 at 12:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:35 PM   #27
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I’m in Canada. The shop that installed the whole thing said they didn’t had to drill anything or pass any new wiring. It doesn’t get more plug’n’play than that. I have not experienced any issue so far, not even rattles. I’m no audiophile, but I can hardly imagine how a better system could make much of a difference with the road noises and everything. It does sound better since I disabled ASD (using BimmerCode).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #28
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I’m the original poster. It’s been several month since I replaced the audio system in my car. I’m still very happy about it. Last year I also coded out the ASD fake engine sound, I highly recommend doing that.

A couple of weeks ago I had service done on my car and they updated the onboard computer (there was a recall). My custom coding was reset and ASD was back. Not only it sounded just as terrible as before, but now, under WOT, at a certain RPM range, it was making some very loud rattling noise. It sounded like loose change in the cup holder. Anybody else experienced this?

Disabling ASD again fixed the issue, but I expect it to come back if I turn it back on.
Appreciate 0