THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Level X Audio Install (F22 w/674A)

10-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #23
kraypd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Estoril Blue

Sweet install! To say that I am jealous would be a major understatement.

I had an upgrade plan in mind until I emailed Ken and saw the Level 3 option which I was planning to start setting aside cash for to spread out the impact from my finance manager (aka wife).

Great solution on the SPDIF input. Mosconi also has a BT streaming module but I take it the BT slot is being used for tuning.

How does the AMP handle switching between the SPDIF input and HU signals? They mentioned cross fading but what is the selection process like from the user standpoint?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #24
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Can you compare the input from the Auris to the stock head unit?

I knew of a guy who did a similar thing, except with an Airport express and wifi, not BT. I've found most of the BT interfaces very lacking, I think mostly due to the lack of bandwidth.

The only thing I don't like about this type of setup is that you lose the ability to control things with iDrive/HU/steering wheel/etc. You have to do it through your phone or whatever source you use. Might be worth it if the sound quality is significantly better.

BTW that's a very nice sounding system. I had something similar at one time
The sound of the Auris is much much better. Cleaner, less muddied, better soundstage.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #25
Shenhav
Rep
Drives: BMW m2 CP

You can tell me where you buy the sub box?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #26
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenhav View Post
You can tell me where you buy the sub box?
It is custom made by musicar northwest in Portland, OR.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #27
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Thanks for the info. I've been suspecting that there was something bad happening to my CD's. I'd been chalking it up to the terrible speakers, but down-sampling the CD signal would also explain it. Is it me, or is this a way dirty trick to pull?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:07 AM   #28
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been suspecting that there was something bad happening to my CD's. I'd been chalking it up to the terrible speakers, but down-sampling the CD signal would also explain it. Is it me, or is this a way dirty trick to pull?
Here's a metaphor for you. If your used to agribusiness style steaks and thinks it's great because it is served at Chris Ruth steakhouse, then ignorance is bliss.

If you eat organically grown grass feed steak and know how to prepare it, you'll never eat at Chris Ruth steakhouse ever again.

It's well known that high resolution audio died a digital death. It's cheaper and the masses don't care.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 03:34 PM   #29
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed, 100%. When they clued me that the car CD player is a thing of the past, about to be off the option list, I felt like it was the nail in the coffin for car audio. Not crazy about digital, but in full resolution it has (had?) potential; now the slurry of mp3 and lousy internet streaming has sanded down everyone's ears to the point I don't think they even know what they are missing. And to borrow from your metaphor, having the head unit downsample a CD before playing it is like finding out that they spit half-chewed beef into a hamburger patty.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
Gabrola
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Agreed, 100%. When they clued me that the car CD player is a thing of the past, about to be off the option list, I felt like it was the nail in the coffin for car audio. Not crazy about digital, but in full resolution it has (had?) potential; now the slurry of mp3 and lousy internet streaming has sanded down everyone's ears to the point I don't think they even know what they are missing. And to borrow from your metaphor, having the head unit downsample a CD before playing it is like finding out that they spit half-chewed beef into a hamburger patty.
Ever heard of FLAC? Oh and there's no way anyone can hear a difference between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC/CD unless using extremely high-end audio equipment and has a very well-trained ear AND knows where to spot the difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #31
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Ever heard of FLAC? Oh and there's no way anyone can hear a difference between 320kbps MP3 and FLAC/CD unless using extremely high-end audio equipment and has a very well-trained ear AND knows where to spot the difference.
To be honest, only just know that FLAC is a lossless compression algorithm, haven't gotten around to trying it (I'm really a luddite). But if I get you, you were misunderstanding me to be knocking all digital. I'm not saying that at all - did not mean to come across as one of those 'digital killed all music' types. I agree that with a good source it is virtually indistinguishable, especially in a moving car. But when you start downsampling with a loss'y format, I CAN hear a difference; and to my ear it is a more offputting effect than the line hiss or frequency clipping so common with analog sources. Between the crappy mp3 or internet source, and the 1.5" Bluetooth speaker it is usually played on, people have lost touch with what is possible - they don't know what they are missing. And to me, even if you don't notice it, downsampling source material unnecessarily is just plain wrong (as per my analogy - you might not notice that they put regurge in your burger, but it is still wrong).
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #32
Kiloptero
Rep
Drives: M240i 2018 White alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuan99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
And HD radio reception is sketchy at best. I live downtown in a major city. HD signals should crisp and clear. Not the case. Not even close ...

I've got to think the aux input would be the best solution for a DMP, though you give up recharging capability -- and I can't imagine that the HU would employ A/D-to-D/A architecture on it. That would just be stupid ... but that said, BMW's plainly designed the system to hide its flaws, and that would be a surefire way to do that. Once I get my DMP in a few weeks I'm definitely going to test it.
I've tested using my old Rio Karma player with line-level output from its docking station and connected to aux input.
Ripped some music from CD with uncompressed format FLAC and compared it to same CD playing from HU.
My jaw almost dropped hearing day-and-night difference.
Sound from HU CD is like those from very low bitrate (64kbps), very flat sounding with edgy high frequency.
The sound from Rio player was more like my high-end stereo with 3D like imaging and non-edgy detailed sound (no comparison).
I believe you were spot on CD down sampling comment which also appears to apply to USB input.

Here is picture of the music player I used for testing.
Amazing!!
Appreciate 0