THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Dashcam Install Mirrortap

04-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
dan99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 01' 330xi / 15' M235i

Dashcam Install Mirrortap

My car did not have the auto-dimming function, but I was able to tap it to the rain sensor.

My dashcam is a VIOFO A119s and it uses a 5v mini-usb cable, so I had to buy a 12v buck converter to a 5v

I also installed a picofuse into one of the wire (+)

Then I soldered the picofuse and it was my first time using a solder kit.

I connected the two ends into it's terminal

I folded the ends so that it could tap it into my rain sensor with better fitment

Testing the connection

result:

Huge thanks goes out to Y0tsuya, whom of which is another bimmerpost member. He provided me with the guidance on this DIY.

Last edited by dan99; 04-03-2017 at 10:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 01:09 AM   #2
idc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i & 2015 i3 Rex

Nice work, I completed a similar project over the weekend, with a few differences. I used the Rexing V1 camera off Amazon, which works great, no GPS but slightly larger LCD. I did tap into the auto-dimming, but I used a custom setup (not the mirror tap one), a larger voltage regulator I already had, which had a standard USB connector at the end. I hid it under the lighting dome, very easy to do.

A few notes, more related to privacy than anything. I did not care about GPS and I am not recording speed or sound. Part of it is that I want to be able to use the recording for my protection, not as something against me. I find it creepy to record my own private conversations in the car, especially if I am with some friend in the car, and I don't want to record my own speed, which can incriminate me more than others (I will have plausible deniability) Finally I find it also creepy to track my own GPS coordinates while driving.

But other than that, it is a fun mod to have for any car, I do hope I never need to use it though.
Appreciate 1
dan99137.50
      04-05-2017, 08:33 PM   #3
vietboyx1115
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MG F80 Comp

Nice. I had considered tapping into the rain sensor, too, when I did my install last weekend. In retrospect, it would have saved me an hour's time compared to running it to the fusebox.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
kohlzor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post
My car did not have the auto-dimming function, but I was able to tap it to the rain sensor.

My dashcam is a VIOFO A119s and it uses a 5v mini-usb cable, so I had to buy a 12v buck converter to a 5v

I folded the ends so that it could tap it into my rain sensor with better fitment

Testing the connection

result:

Huge thanks goes out to Y0tsuya, whom of which is another bimmerpost member. He provided me with the guidance on this DIY.
Does parking mode work when using mirror tap? If someone hits the car while it's off will it turn on and start recording?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2017, 09:56 PM   #5
dan99
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohlzor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan99 View Post

Testing the connection

result:

Does parking mode work when using mirror tap? If someone hits the car while it's off will it turn on and start recording?
it does not, it turns off
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 12:17 AM   #6
FX TR8R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Seaside Blue 230i

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Nice. Does anyone know the maximum load on the circuit? I'm looking to do the same thing, except also hardwire a radar detector in. Dashcam + Radar detector, one on either side of the mirror.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 01:44 PM   #7
dan99
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX TR8R View Post
Nice. Does anyone know the maximum load on the circuit? I'm looking to do the same thing, except also hardwire a radar detector in. Dashcam + Radar detector, one on either side of the mirror.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX TR8R View Post
i dont sorry, but let us know if it works!
Appreciate 0