THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing Willow Spring track day pics.

01-02-2017, 01:31 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Really nice driving and setup. It's nice to see someone doing more with less. So many guys just buy a bunch of parts because the aftermarket is there. I've learned over the years that you do the following and in this order:

1) Hone your driving skills and find the balance of the car.

2) Alignment.

3) Tires.

4) Suspension.

Just because there are a ton of aftermarket parts out there doesn't necessarily mean they all work as advertised.

Given the track you're running and assuming you're running in DSC Off and the car isn't peg-legging like crazy, I'm not seeing much benefit to an LSD for this setup and power level. The eLSD (which only works in DSC Off) really isn't that bad assuming you're not on a tight track.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2017, 10:24 AM   #24
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Really nice driving and setup. It's nice to see someone doing more with less. So many guys just buy a bunch of parts because the aftermarket is there. I've learned over the years that you do the following and in this order:

1) Hone your driving skills and find the balance of the car.

2) Alignment.

3) Tires.

4) Suspension.

Just because there are a ton of aftermarket parts out there doesn't necessarily mean they all work as advertised.

Given the track you're running and assuming you're running in DSC Off and the car isn't peg-legging like crazy, I'm not seeing much benefit to an LSD for this setup and power level. The eLSD (which only works in DSC Off) really isn't that bad assuming you're not on a tight track.
Yes, this is not a technical track really. More of a high speed "how big are your balls" track. For example the big turn 8 sweeper I'm at about 130mph sustained through the whole turn. I did have DSC off the entire time and was impressed with the eLSD actually. Good tires and slight rear toe in do a lot to hide not having a LSD.

I will probably not do the LSD as soon as I originally planned.

I realized just recently, after looking at my logs, that my JB4 was kicking me to safe mode as well for half the track. Then it would kick me back to my normal map so I didn't notice it when looking at my gauges at the start of the straights. This was because I forgot to up my boost safety limit (was running 101 octane). If not for that I'm sure I would have beat my PB time.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #25
geonutt
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
I realized just recently, after looking at my logs, that my JB4 was kicking me to safe mode as well for half the track. Then it would kick me back to my normal map so I didn't notice it when looking at my gauges at the start of the straights. This was because I forgot to up my boost safety limit (was running 101 octane). If not for that I'm sure I would have beat my PB time.
Sounds like you are running your engine pretty aggressively - out of curiosity what oil are you using? how often are you swapping it? To be safe I swap mine every track weekend w/ mobil 1 5w30... w/ a weekend being 6-12 30-60 min sessions w/ Jb4 map 1 93 octane but on occasion run up to e30ish map 5... I wonder about the reliability of the n55 being used as a 'race' engine (which its not).... given the n54 problems, lack of safe guards, no oil temp & no dipstick all concern me... that said the car is a blast to drive on the track and w/ a few mods can pretty well hold its own...

All said I'm still working on best oil strategy for a car that gets tracked and DD on the street. To replace these engines is not cheep!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #26
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geonutt View Post
Sounds like you are running your engine pretty aggressively - out of curiosity what oil are you using? how often are you swapping it? To be safe I swap mine every track weekend w/ mobil 1 5w30... w/ a weekend being 6-12 30-60 min sessions w/ Jb4 map 1 93 octane but on occasion run up to e30ish map 5... I wonder about the reliability of the n55 being used as a 'race' engine (which its not).... given the n54 problems, lack of safe guards, no oil temp & no dipstick all concern me... that said the car is a blast to drive on the track and w/ a few mods can pretty well hold its own...

All said I'm still working on best oil strategy for a car that gets tracked and DD on the street. To replace these engines is not cheep!
I don't track as much as I used to, but with my other cars I would cut the interval by ~25% or every other track day. Whichever comes first.

I used to only use mobile 1, but decided on Red Line with my last car. I just did an oil change before my last track day using whatever BMW puts in the car. Will probably go with Redline on this car too though.

JB4 will give you oil temp gauge, but only shows it live on the gauge and does not log it. Same for trans temp. Still uses BMW safe guards for oil temp (limp mode).

I was doing 101oct on map 5. Did a few hot laps with map 7, but that's when it booted me to map 4 (stock map) as noted above. It only did this because I didn't raise my boost safety limit. There were some logs that didn't kick me to from 7 to 4 and those looked good.

I will probably use my custom e35 map 6 when using 101oct at the track from now on just to be a little more conservative compared to map 7.

Also need to do some duty bias tuning on JB4 still to stop the overboost in high gears.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #27
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
How did the brakes hold up after the full track day?
      03-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #28
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
How did the brakes hold up after the full track day?
Pagid pads and RBF600.

Held up OK. Got some weird fade a few times, but it was very minor. What makes it weird is that it happened in the middle of the session for like one turn then would clear up. Even then it didn't do this every session.

Might be the BMW fluid requirements and the ABS system.

Need to bleed the fluid possibly.
Appreciate 1
Powaup1253.00
      03-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #29
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Yes, this is not a technical track really. More of a high speed "how big are your balls" track. For example the big turn 8 sweeper I'm at about 130mph sustained through the whole turn.
Finding your maximum speed at turn 8
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2017, 08:59 PM   #30
m3cmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Yes, 18x9.5 +45 255/35/18 square.

To get it to fit my setup (others people setups may very).

KW Clubsport coilovers
Eibach shorter front main spring (I also went with a higher spring rate than KW)
20mm front spacer
No rear spacer
Front fender is rolled (not sure if it's needed, but I preemptively did it)

3* front camber
2* rear camber

Spacer is needed for my setup to clear the front suspension/remote reservoir. I actually have a 27mm (15mm+12mm spacer) spacer in there now as an emergency stop gap because the 15mm spacer I had in there was not enough. 20mm should be the in this week so I can test clearance, but I expect it to be the minimum size needed for my setup.
Just ordered the clubsports. 3-4 weeks from Germany, fingers crossed it gets here in time for my HPDE at the Glen in April.

How did the 20mm spacer work out? I'm running 17x8.5 245 ET42 for the track. I'm guessing I'll need spacers up front as well.

Any recommendation on the compression / rebound settings for street / track?
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #31
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cmm View Post
Just ordered the clubsports. 3-4 weeks from Germany, fingers crossed it gets here in time for my HPDE at the Glen in April.

How did the 20mm spacer work out? I'm running 17x8.5 245 ET42 for the track. I'm guessing I'll need spacers up front as well.

Any recommendation on the compression / rebound settings for street / track?
Honestly don't remember my settings off the top of my head. I *think* they are set at +1 or +2 in the back for rebound/compression. (pretty sure +2).

In the front it's either +1 or default.

Meaning +1, +2 clicks over how they come out of the box. It's my daily so it's kind of a set it and forget thing for me. If I was running sway bars, LSD, and/or Rcomps/slicks I would run much more aggressively.

Keep in mind this is for my RE71R 255 square with a higher spring rate up front than KW factory (matches rear spring).

One thing I've noticed is that the Clubsports are much more sensitive to rebound/compression changes than less worthy coilovers I'v used
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Finding your maximum speed at turn 8
Luckily he took a wide line which is unusual. Otherwise I think he would have spun out on to the dirt on the inside.

I was just looking at my vid and you can't see the speedo, but you can see the RPM. Looks like 5500-6000rpm in 6th gear (8at) for turn 8. Should be about 130mph.

Appreciate 1
mdputnam288.50
      03-25-2017, 06:37 AM   #33
m3cmm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Honestly don't remember my settings off the top of my head. I *think* they are set at +1 or +2 in the back for rebound/compression. (pretty sure +2).

In the front it's either +1 or default.

Meaning +1, +2 clicks over how they come out of the box. It's my daily so it's kind of a set it and forget thing for me. If I was running sway bars, LSD, and/or Rcomps/slicks I would run much more aggressively.

Keep in mind this is for my RE71R 255 square with a higher spring rate up front than KW factory (matches rear spring).

One thing I've noticed is that the Clubsports are much more sensitive to rebound/compression changes than less worthy coilovers I'v used
Thanks for the info.

How about the spacers? Did you stick with 20 mm up front and none in back?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #34
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3cmm View Post
Thanks for the info.

How about the spacers? Did you stick with 20 mm up front and none in back?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #35
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Bimmer Challenge this Saturday at Big Willow. I plan on attending and should be set to beat my PB...I hope.

I'll be in B3 class and will be fun to see how the car does against other competitors.
Appreciate 0